Phil Collins - General Discussion (a/k/a Ed Sheeran is a stain on music itself) | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Phil Collins - General Discussion (a/k/a Ed Sheeran is a stain on music itself)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, May 22, 2019.

1. dead_banana.png

stuaw likes this.
  2. Wonder what other songs he will rip off?

Blue6010 likes this.
  3. His conscious devouring of sales records and other artists achievements, the way he ~doesn't attend Hollywood parties~ and wears baggy Primark jeans when filling out stadiums because he's so above iNdUsTrY sTaNdArDs, his music catering to the lowest common denominator like any other cookie cutter popstar but somehow still maintaining this introspective singer songwriter label with the media and the public because he's a male guitar player who's been to tenerife

He just represents the few things i detest about pop music

machine80, inevitable, Sam and 64 others like this.
  4. Well didn’t she already for a song on his last album???

5. I honestly hope the world ends before this drops.

KingBruno, TomC, Lila and 8 others like this.
  6. @Trump @Iran let's do this

inevitable, KingBruno, KYLE and 12 others like this.
  7. I quite liked Multiply.

alanmr likes this.
  8. Multiply is a great album. Divide took what worked on that record and paired it down to be more easily digestible/crowd-pleasing, and it's shit as a result. There are a few decent tracks on the latter but, as a whole, it felt like a shitty impersonation of Multiply by a less talented artist. I cringe just thinking about New Man. I've seen Ed live a few times and I think he's a huge talent, so it sucks to have seen him go down that road.

Robert and Alphableat like this.
  9. I would happily have an album of Ed Sheeran-written/co-written songs sung by female artists. His songs by Rita Ora, Hilary Duff, Jessie Ware et al are good.

I just can’t tolerate his own songs - not so much their general mediocrity in and of itself, but that combined with their ubiquity and inexplicable popularity throughout every album campaign (and afterward). And I guess a part of me is bitter and frustrated that his unremarkable, middle England-friendly, straight white male balladry and faux-bops earn so much airplay, sales and streams at the expense of other, far more engaging artists and performers.

It’s really everything his success stands for that I take issue with. He reinforces the status quo.

10. RJF

RJF

How many mouths will be kissed across the whole alberm, I wonder.

11. That one year he was the hottest property at the Brits, he turned up in a fancy suit for the red carpet and ended up changing into his ~relatable baggy jeans and t-shirt outfit for his live performance. The sheer calculated cynicism of that decision spoke volumes.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    machine80, inevitable, Sam and 14 others like this.
  12. I don't like his music much, but maybe he's just more comfortable performing in casual wear ...

13. You know, I could even tolerate the "relatability" aspect of him, if every time it was brought up in an interview he didn't basically go "yeah lol it's really funny and makes me load of money." Kinda defeats the whole purpose of being "the relatable artist" there Ed.

14. He’s a turgid dump of a person and he doesn’t deserve a shred of the success he’s had.

AfternoonsInUtopia and KYLE like this.
  15. RJF

RJF

Ed is... a charlatan; a con artist, a pick pocket. Someone who is so obviously capable of doing better and fully aware of it, and capable of making loads of money by being better... but he's identified that he can make more money by doing less, so less is what he does. The contempt he has for his audience is unfathomable in its cruelty and malevolence. His next album should be called £. He's an egomaniacal, greedy monster.

Like, a single with Justin Bieber about being an awkward outcast at a party full of pretty people... I've never heard something more focus-grouped to make money in my entire life. He is bereft of artistic worth. A cancerous lump on pop music. And what do we do with cancer, girls? We cut it out. Yes we do.

Lock the thread, censor his name on the forum, and forget this ever happened.

machine80, inevitable, Sam and 109 others like this.
  16. I am taking the tiniest bit of solace in the fact that even with Bieber's completely unnecessary involvement and flogging $10 t-shirt bundles to US fans like the discount bin quality of the song, he still missed out on the Hot 100 number 1 this week.

Digital_Fossil likes this.
  17. RJF

RJF

The fact that Taylor, Ed, and Justin, all with similar nefarious hawking of complete shit merch, have been stomped by "Old Town Road" is a kii, and a pop justice.

18. The fact Ed was selling free US shipping for a year which also came with a download of the song was an utter joke

notyourmate likes this.
  19. I was hoping this thread would genuinely be locked dd, but I wanted to point out that Ed is directly responsible for Lewis Capaldi and those annoying tube posters and his "I was so bored actually making my album LOL!" blurbs. Stop these children of gammons.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.