Phoenix - BANKRUPT! (5th Studio Album) | The Popjustice Forum

Phoenix - BANKRUPT! (5th Studio Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by D.Jay, Jan 16, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

So French band known for the gems 1901 (the one Birdy did!) and Liztomania...

have a new album coming out this 2013!

This evening, their website began displaying a moving teaser image 'PHOENIX BANKRUPT!' alongside backing music most likely a sample from one of their upcoming album tracks!
    http://www.wearephoenix.com/

Exciting times!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

I hope it's half as good as Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (or twice as good as It's Never Been Like That, either will do).

3. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

First single from the album: "Entertainment"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=86_TqlVQscQ

[​IMG]

Bankrupt! is out in April.

01 Entertainment
    02 The Real Thing
    03 SOS in Bel Air
    04 Trying to Be Cool
    05 Bankrupt!
    06 Drakkar Noir
    07 Chloroform
    08 Don't
    09 Bourgeois
    10 Oblique City

4. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

I sometimes wonder if anyone bothers to read my posts at all.

5. RJF

RJF

Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

I like it, but it's not setting my world on fire. More of the same, really.

6. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

Well.

You got your answer.

7. Hitori

Hitori Guest

Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

I'm liking the new single, but it doesn't blow me away or anything.

8. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

It has that summer feel which is all I want from Phoenix.

9. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

It's very ordinary...feels like a rehash of older material - and not in a good way.

10. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

I have played it a lot today. I think it's good. No one is expecting anything startling or revolutionary from them, which is good, because they're not going to provide that.

11. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

Sounds nice. Could be my favourite song in 6 months (/when I'm hyper because of all the Vitamin D).

12. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

Nunya B, not only did i read your post but I must pay homage - this is basically the LAST WORD on what to hope for from this record - "I hope it's half as good as Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (or twice as good as It's Never Been Like That, either will do)."

"Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" is one of those records that just lingered with me... makes me feel warm and fuzzy to even think about it now...

13. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

Well seeing as though its a bit chilly, yet absolutely sunny out here in California, I LOVE the Entertainment. Yes, its nowhere near as good as If I Ever Feel Better or Lisztomania, but its great and infinently better than 1901.

I look forward to the album.

14. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

Frankly, nothing by Phoenix has ever comes close to the brilliance of "If I ever feel better".

15. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

Entertainment feels like the logical progression from Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. I like it.

16. I felt like I just walked in to Topman when I heard this. I quite like it, it's perfect for summer.

17. It's a rainy crappy day here in Boston. Have the album cued up to listen to on the way home. Hope the "summery" vibe continues throughout to transport me away from the gloomy subway ride.....

18. Re: Phoenix - 5th Studio Album 2013 (BANKRUPT!)

*ahem* Too Young

19. RJF

RJF

I don't think this is very good. Where the 80s keyboards assisted the overall aesthetic on the last album, they completely whitewash the album here into something really annoying and even a little unpleasant. The run of three tracks starting with the title track is just tedious and even a little jarring at times. "Drakker Noir" sounds like three different tracks all vying for attention in the worst possible way. My standout tracks so far are "Trying To Be Cool" and "Don't", which at least get points for messing around with tempo a little.

Things get back on track near the end, but there's little to no sense of progression or even adventure here, which saddens me greatly. Perhaps the density of the production will reveal its layers when the CD comes through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.