Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER! | Page 51 | The Popjustice Forum

Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by swim, May 28, 2019.

1. Damn, suddenly kinda wish I’d rated Beam Me Up higher.

Music Is Death, soratami and swim like this.
  2. Oh, sorry @Lost Boy for losing you first 10 and and me scoring it quite low.

While it is emotional and has devastating lyrics, and I mostly adore songs when P!nk sounds vulnerable and sad, "Beam Me Up" just doesn't do that much for me sonically. The chorus is beautiful, but the rest unfortunately falls into the 'boring' category of folk and acoustic ballads with Billy Mann.

Also, where is that tie you were speaking of? Both "Gone to California" and "Why Did I Ever Like You" are put as #115, but have a different average score.
    And @Laurence gave a 2 to "Why Did I Ever Like You", yet isn't put among the lowest scorers.
    My OCD is taking over, sorry.

I think you should've done that to the majority of the songs you tanked.

LiK, soratami, kal and 1 other person like this.
  3. I got mixed up, 116&117 both have 6.11 but it's because I've rounded it to two digits. Opening it up shows 'Stop Falling' got 6.108 and 'Gone...' managed 6.109.

Also fixed that, just got the names mixed up.

soratami and Maki like this.
  4. They could win a Nobel prize for literature but if it's boring it's boring.

swim and Maki like this.
  5. Expose me a bit.

LiK, swim, Verandi and 1 other person like this.
  6. I actually 100% agree with you here, the lyrics are the last thing I take into consideration when rating songs.

But still, thinking twice before making a comment and/or scoring a song can be useful, too.

Verandi likes this.
  7. That's a gorgeous track. You lot really hate ballads don't ya?!

Music Is Death likes this.
  8. Nah that's just @Verandi

Maki likes this.
  9. Lyrics are usually the first thing I take into consideration.

savilizabeths and Maki like this.
  10. [​IMG]
    111. Chaos & Piss
    Average score: 6.32
    Highest score: 10 (@əʊæ)
    Lowest score: 3x4 (@playboy69, @Hurricane Drunk, @Robsolete, @happiestgirl)
    My score: 7

'Chaos & Piss' is a slight departure for P!nk not only sonically, but for having a title that suggests a stormy banger about drinking until you soil your pants only for it to be an absolutely gorgeous I'm Not Dead-esque ballad about, or at least it appears to be about, self-observing an extreme mental episode. I definitely feel like this would have been strong enough to fit the album, but it probably would have needed a title change, because I think it's actually more emotive than almost everything on the album? There are times here where I really do think her vocals evoke Xtina.

The Life is beautiful section floors me every time with how much her vocals sound like younger P!nk. So much character in such a tiny, pretty vague line. As for the rest of the song, it's not one I really actively seek out and for the most part... I forget even exists? This managed 17 scores of 7 or 7.5, ddd.

Commentary Corner:
    @JMRGBY88: (7.5) I really liked this when it was released but nowadays, I don’t really rate it as highly. However, the lyric “my roots go deep in anger” really resonates with me.

@The Hot Rock: (9) Was somebody going to tell me this was a ballad (and a good one at That) or was I supposed to find that out myself when stumbling upon it in this rate?! dddddd

@Music Is Life: (9) This is probably my least favorite bonus track on this album, which isn’t really fair cause this is still a great song. I love the production, especially the guitar, and the way it builds and quiets with every verse/chorus, and I love the chorus melody. The bonus tracks for this album are so fucking strong.

@Maki: (6) Talk about misleading song titles… Totally didn’t expect a ballad the first time I listened to this! It’s OK, a bit too boring for me. It gave me Lana Del Ray vibes, especially in the verses. But that chorus sounds so familiar to me, can anyone help (something tells me it’s Lady Gaga related)? It’s the most memorable thing about the song, but isn’t enough for me to raise its score.

@R27: (7) Very grateful that the song went in a completely different direction than I was anticipating based on the title.

@savilizabeths: (9) “I’m sure I’m not the only one who didn’t expect a ballad paired with that title, but this one is really nice. Kind of dark and moody. I love the verses with no instrumentation, only background vocals. It’s such a gorgeous touch. Yet another successful ballad from P!nk. This is really gorgeous.”

@Verandi: (5) Wait why does this sound like something from A Star Is Born?

@abael: (6) Definitely an unexpected ballad. Title aside, it is pretty usual fare.

@rick: (4) Oh god it's awful

[​IMG]
    111. Love Is Such a Crazy Thing
    Highest score: 9.75 (@Maki)
    Lowest score: 4x7 (@nikkysan, @Verandi, @Reboot, @Hurricane Drunk, @sapnu puas, @happiestgirl, @Duppe)
    My score: 9.5

My almost perfect score here is absolutely unapologetic, and it's actually one of the highest scores I gave to the album. There are so many things that grasp me here, from the production with that waspish synth to the generic as hell R&B Girl Group chorus. The track actually dates back to her Choice days, which explains the chorus and vocals, and honestly that probably makes me love it even more? There's a charm to it that's unlike anything else she's done.

Commentary Corner:

@Maki: (9.75) This is such an adorable song, I almost ended up giving it a 10. The intro is interesting, and the chill vibe of the song really appealing. Wow, and that chorus is so delightful, it just flows effortlessly. Perhaps the song goes on for a bit too long, which is the only thing that made me not give it full score.

@nikkysan: (4) The squelchy bassline is the most interesting thing about this track.

@Music Is Life: (8) This song was one of the ones I returned to most when I listened to this album for the first time, but I’ve since stopped coming back to it, and I can’t figure out why cause this is pretty great. A nice, catchy mid-tempo, with some cool electronic flourishes in the production.

@Sprockrooster: (9) I honestly love her version with Choice more. In fact I adore Key To My Heart too from them.

@R27: (5.75) This is alright but it doesn't really feel like a P!nk song. In fact it doesn't even really sound like P!nk. It's very anonymous

@Reboot: (4) The lyrics on this album are so empty compared to her later stuff

@rick: (6) More Mariah vocals. And again it’s too long but still a slow groove

@savilizabeths: (5) “It’s cute but it’s definitely too long and not that interesting.”

@abael: (5) It smacks of album filler.

[​IMG]
    110. Unwind
    Highest score: 9x2 (@Verandi, @Music Is Life)
    Lowest score: 3 (@happiestgirl)

I've decided that most of you hate fun, that's the only reason I can come to for 'Unwind' falling now (and 'Catch-22' going out earlier too). God, 'Unwind' is an absolute blast to listen to. Whilst absolutely not a highlight of her discography, nor of the album, it's a cacophony of horns, drums and cigarette smoke infused vocals and just a warm atmosphere on an album that can be quite cold.

The way it evolves from a toe tapper into a storming release of emotion by the end... I love it. You can positively hear the exasperation dripping from her vocal chords.

Commentary Corner:

@rick: (6) I wish I could give better commentary on this album but this song is just another example of Try This having nothing terrible but nothing amazing

@abael: (6) Another mediocre song given more attention and creative instrumentation than it deserves.

@Music Is Life: (9) I really love the horns on this song, and I never realized just how prominent they are throughout this album until now. I’m a sucker for great horn work. The song is great fun, I love her vocals as always, and the chorus I catchy, but also stops this from being a 10. Still, I kinda love this too, and I never really realized that before.

@Maki: (7) I often forget that this song exists, which doesn't sound good. However, it isn't bad at all. In fact, I like that she channels Janis Joplin here. It's a filler and the essence of the album at the same time. It still remains one of my least favorites from "Try This".

@R27: (7.5) The desperation in her voice really sells this at first but I think she does a might too much vocally by the end of the song.

@savilizabeths: (7) “I love her vocal tone on this song. This is just a really good bop. The way she sings it really adds to the idea that she needs a break. It makes her voice sound tired. It’s really cool.”

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  11. kal

kal

Let’s see how many consecutive eliminations I’ll have to quote myself.

12. Unwind is Try This top5 material but I'll deal, cause I don't care about the other two.

13. All these gems leaving before 'Just Give Me A Reason'.

'Unwind' is so good.

Phonetics Girl and swim like this.
  14. LiK

LiK

Love Is Such A Crazy Thing did not to deserve to be evicted. I absolutely adore mid 90's toearly 00's RnB so this song was right up my alley. It's so essential to her debut and really doesn't sound like anything else in her catalog.

Maki, swim and soratami like this.
  15. Love Is Such a Crazy Thing and Unwind are both great.

Based on the compilation of snippets I probably would have stanned the Choice album ddd.

Maki and swim like this.
  16. R27

R27

I'm not gutted by any of these eliminations, but it is still too earlier for me to be losing 7s and 7.5s when I still have plenty of sub-6 scores left.

Also, my commentary for "Unwind" is a mess. I really need to proofread the next time I do commentary for a rate.

Maki and swim like this.
  17. Remember when Pink was lined up to play Janis Joplin in one of several biopics that never got off the ground? Strange times.

As for Love Is Such A Crazy Thing, it's gone far enough considering she probably doesn't remember it herself.

18. [​IMG]
    108. Tonight's the Night
    Average score: 6.37
    Highest score: 10 (@Music Is Life)
    Lowest score: 4x3 (@Sprockrooster, @The Hot Rock, @Sideout)

There are a few songs in P!nk's discography that actively try to hit this wonky, off-key vibe to help with the atmosphere ('One Foot Wrong', 'Whatever You Want', this) and it's never any less jarring to hear at first. Of course those examples have grown to become some of my favourites, but 'Tonight's the Night' never really clicked with me. I find it odd seeing the commentary about it being a dance banger or a Britney song (???) because I don't really hear any dance in it at all? Maybe I've mixed the commentary up.

The best thing about this song is how that askew vocal actively works in translating an anxiety and slow deterioration. It's a great production choice that gives the song some real character, and I appreciate it. The song is an absolute blast and definitely reminds me of Funhouse at parts without the obvious extreme polish.

Commentary corner:
    @Music Is Life: (10) This is such a great song, I absolutely love the production and melody. That chorus gets stuck in my head all the time. Honestly, I wish it had been a single. I love this. The verses are so great too, I love everything about this. The horns in the production mixed with the guitar…ugh yes queen!

@JMRGBY88: (5) my main issue with this album as a whole is that you can tell her heart isn’t in it and it’s a hard listen because of that.

@Sprockrooster: (4) For such an intended dancefloor banger, she sounds a bit unbothered vocally

@rick: (6) For someone who didn’t want to be Britney, this sounds exactly like a Britney song

@abael: (7) This song highlights the musical growth of Pink between albums. Lyrically this could have been on a previous album, the distinctive qualities production gives each track is what makes this a level above

@Maki: (7.25) Track 4 on the album and we’re already at the filler territory. But it isn’t a bad track, just less interesting than the other ones. Nice inclusion of brass instruments. Great and catchy tune, but it’s not totally my thing. She sounds drunk on this, whether it was intentional or not, but it fits the song theme and totally makes sense. I always crack up when she awfully screams one of the choruses (it works, though).

@R27: (7.5) This is a lot of fun. She sounds like someone who has actually partied before which is nice.

@savilizabeths: (6) “I quite like the verses here but I’m not super fond of the chorus. It’s definitely not bad though. It’s pretty fun."

[​IMG]
    108. Push You Away
    Average score: 6.37
    Highest score: 10 (@Music Is Life)
    Lowest score: 3x3 (@Daniel_O, @Sideout, @rick)
    My score: 9

Huge loss for me here as we lose what I strongly believe to be one of P!nk's biggest bops. Even more special when you discover it's yet another hidden away classic on a one off password locked, buried in the rubble tour edition of Funhouse. I've never had it in the best quality but I think the I push you away, I push you aWAY and Da da da daaaaa hooks are some of the strongest in her entire discography? Also there's a reference to one of her best ever singles tucked away?

With a little more polish this absolutely could have been part of the main album, despite the album being pretty much perfect, and could definitely have been the rerelease single. Obviously I appreciate that she released 'I Don't Believe You' and that took major balls, but it's not too hard to imagine a world in which this was the song attached to the rerelease instead and I'm sure it would have done pretty well.

Commentary corner:

@JMRGBY88: (5) fine for a bonus track but inessential.

@Reboot: (6.5) I like the sort of spoken bits.

@tylerc904: (7.5) I feel like this leaked way before the album along with Whataya Want From Me and something called Bad Day? I had it super LQ long before it got a full release. ANYWAY, it’s a cute girl. Definitely Leave Me Alone 2.0

@Laurence: (5) This is a kinda ok track hidden in between

@Music Is Life: (10) I love the melody in the verses for this, and the production goes pretty hard and I love that. The lyrics are of course addressing the breakup between her and Carey, and in this one she’s taking the blame and regrets it, which is very mature. Love the reference to Leave Me Alone (I’m Lonely) in the middle-8, which lifts this into a 10. Love this.

@Maki: (5.5) Not a fan of this one, too annoying and loud for me. The melody also isn’t quite there at moments; the only redeeming thing here is the “Leave Me Alone (I’m Lonely)” throwback and perhaps the backing vocals. The best word to describe this song would be ‘unremarkable’. And, considering that it appeared ‘super deluxe live Australian only’ edition of the album, I think that even P!nk completely forgot about this song.

@abael: (7) A better hook would have made his a hit

@rick: (3) Mama this is garbage

@savilizabeths: (8) “This one is a bop. I have a lot of fun listening to this. P!nk is just really good at selling this kind of attitude. Also is that a callback to ‘Leave Me Alone (I’m Lonely)’ I hear? Nice.”

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  19. Even though "Chaos & Piss" is more memorable for its title, as commentary confirms it, I think that it got a bit underscored from me. Anyways, I'm totally OK with its elimination...

...which can't be said for "Love Is Such a Crazy Thing". That must be one of the cutest songs she's ever released - I kind of regret not giving it a 10 now. Totally underrated, which was expected, unfortunately.
    I'm so glad that you love it, too, @Lost Boy.

And that is possibly the earliest song we're rating here, since, like it was said, was originally meant for the debut album of her girl group Choice. So happy that she re-recorded it and it was released.
    Talking of early P!nk, do you wish you were cool as her during the time of her disbandment with Choice:
    [​IMG]
    P!nk (then known as Alecia) in 1997

@Sprockrooster, do you know where is the Choice version you're speaking of? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times before, but was never able to find it online.

20. That squelchy bassline on 'Love is Such a Crazy Thing' is so amazing

LiK, P'NutButter and Maki like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.