Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER! | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by swim, May 28, 2019.

1. Revenge was literally the first song to be eliminated ddd

Blond, JMRGBY, R27 and 8 others like this.
  2. Was it?!!

Well good job y'all.

Music Is Death, Maki, swim and 2 others like this.
  3. Some of y'all are really shitting on Beautiful Trauma to make the follow-up look better uh.

playboy69 and Sprockrooster like this.
  4. LiK

LiK

Y'all REALLY voted out Better Life before Can We Pretend???

[​IMG]

5. I Am Here deserved better.

6. Now this is a surprise! In no way I thought "I Am Here" would leave so early, I even considered it one of the fan favorites from that album.

It ended up very underrated, I don't get how some of the more bland songs from "Beautiful Trauma" (let alone the rest of her albums) didn't leave. Even my 9 seems a bit low now that I'm re-listening to the song.
    Great write up, @Lost Boy.

(and I remember someone on this forum saying, before "Beautiful Trauma" was released, that if she had a song named "Here I Am" or something like that, they wouldn't listen to the album - oops!)

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that "Can We Pretend" making it into the top 100, especially over some of my 10's.

7. LiK

LiK

Beautiful Trauma album actually deserves better than the treatment it's getting in the rate so far! I may have even underscored it because I was trying to have some form of parity consistency with my scores.

Better Life absolutely deserved at least top 80! I'm a bit bitter by that eviction.

As for I Am Here, my issue with it, is you can absolutely tell it was probably recorded in 2015? With the original batch of songs before she scrapped it. It's very Mumford and Sons and that sound just doesn't work for me... At All!

swim likes this.
  8. LiK

LiK

I actually have a friend who refuses to like anything P!nk related post M!ssundaztood, as he's one of those people who still wants RnB P!nk back. Better Life was the only song off the album he cared for because he said it reminded him of her early RnB roots and I fully agree. Lyrically it's not new territory for her, but it's easily one of her most honest moments post Funhouse.

Now I'm a bit concerned for my #11.

Okay i'm gonna move on and seethe in silence as of now.

swim, Maki and Sprockrooster like this.
  9. Whoever voted I Am Here down clearly wasn't at any of the recent live shows; it absolutely goes off in that setting.

As for the Mumford and Sons references: this trend for talking about bands as if they invented a genre when they've been around for about five minutes (in the grand scheme of things) really needs to die.

10. LiK

LiK

Well it sounds like a Mumford and Sons song, it's a simple reference not that deep.

JMRGBY likes this.
  11. Y'all SUCK for kicking I Am Here out of here so soon. I was gearing up to write commentary about it that was mostly babble about how amazing it is, especially those lyrics and her vocie and the post-chorus! Gone too soon.
    So is Better Life for that matter.

swim and Maki like this.
  12. Beautiful Trauma had a very bad reception on this forum when it was released. I think it is one of her very best offerings, yeah it is a bit more grown up sounding than some of her other albums which usually means it gets labelled as 'MOR white music' on here but actually it just has a lot of subtle moments and grown-up lyrical content. I love it from start to beginning (yes, even Revenge) and am shocked that some of it's best tracks (Better Life, I Am Here, Wild Hearts..) have been booted out so soon when trash like Can We Pretend and Blow Me are still here.

13. Revenge is just trash. You can appreciate an album ok but that track just aint it!

R27, Maki and playboy69 like this.
  14. To reflect on the top 100 for a bit:

- Some of the songs that were eliminated ended up criminally underrated ("Stop Falling", "Gone to California", "Why Did I Ever Like You", "Could've Had Everything", even "Hustle" and "Words")
    - Didn't expect "Beautiful Trauma" to lose those songs before "But We Lost It" (except for "Revenge", of course).
    - "Can We Pretend" is absolutely not the song I expected to survive the first five cuts from "Hurts 2B Human", or even make it through the first 30 or 40 eliminations (still, I'm not that bothered, as the song isn't bad at all).
    - The debut took the, somewhat expected, yet brutal and undeserving cull.
    - The positive surprise is that "Leaving for the Last Time" managed to 'sneak' in the top 100.
    - "Slut Like You" needs to vacate as soon as possible, this is too much.

"We Could Have It All" is still, very deservingly, here. Do you mean "Could've Had Everything"?

swim, soratami and P'NutButter like this.
  15. Oh I must have misread! Well glad We Could Have It All is still in.

swim and Maki like this.
  16. If you had described the last 3 outs being 1 from album 2 and 2 from Beautiful Trauma, I would have been happy entering and seeing what went down... Literally the 3 best songs (the only great song from album 2,) of both albums leaving consecutively. What a disappointing run.

Maki and swim like this.
  17. [​IMG]
    99. Leaving for the Last Time
    Average score: 6.56
    Highest score: 9.5 (@Music Is Life)
    Lowest score: 3x2 (@abael, @happiestgirl)
    My score: 7

Imagine if this followed the same sonic palette that the intro suggests, wow.

'Leaving for the Last Time' makes its appearance here entirely due to @Maki, because I didn't even know it existed before this rate, and frankly it's clearly a welcome addition considering it managed to creep into the top one hundred over half of the debut album itself despite this not even featuring on the album. Recorded as part of her former girlband Choice, it apparently featured on one of those album promo CDs that labels used to do.

Listening to it again I definitely feel like I underscored it because the production is absolutely fantastic, the combination of that synth, the harsh guitar and the strings? What a choice. I do kind of wish it relied more on how it suggests it is going to sound with the intro, because it folds back into a standard R&B song pretty quickly - but there's enormous flashes of brilliance here.

I'd be interested to know whether she had a hand in this because it definitely sounds more like a M!ssundaztood/Can't Take Me Home hybrid than anything she's ever really done.

Commentary Corner:
    @Sprockrooster: (8) Very 90's R&B so let me stan this alongside @londonrain

@Music Is Life: (9.5) So glad @Maki convinced you to include this, cause I honestly really love it. It’s such a great song, it should’ve made the album, it would have been a perfect closer. I love the melody, especially on the chorus, and the production is great. The lyrics are great too.

@Maki: (8.5) First of all, thanks to the host for including this song! It would’ve been a really nice inclusion to the actual album (instead of “Let Me Let You Know” preferably). I adore the verses here; they remind me a bit of Mariah Carey’s ballads. It’s a pity that the chorus isn’t as strong as the verses. Great vocals, which is always the case, especially in the ‘I’m moving on…’ part. It most likely wasn’t finished (and it was originally recorded while she was in the Choice group), hence the odd mastering work in the chorus.

@R27: (8.75) This should have not only been on the album, but it should have been a single. It sounds so lush, urgent, and epic.

@JMRGBY88: (7) she sounds gorgeous on this song. I can see why it got left off the album though.

@P'NutButter: (8) should've replaced 'Let Me Let You Know' on the album.

@tylerc904: (5) I would probably love this if it were a legit release. Crappy quality leak + other vocalists = cannot stan.

@rick: (4) Never heard this before the rate. Should have stayed that way

@abael: (3) This song feels endless, and is a slog.

@savilizabeths: (6) “It’s nice enough but a little dull.”

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  18. [​IMG]
    98. For Now
    Average score: 6.58
    Highest score: 10x3 (@Sanctuary, @kal, @əʊæ)
    Lowest score: 3x2 (@Verandi, @happiestgirl)
    My score: 6

'For Now' is one of those rare P!nk songs that I just can't settle with. Even seeing it live didn't breathe that magic into it like usual, and I'm still stuck here kind of liking it and kind of not minding it.

Written alongside increasingly frequent collaborator Julia Michaels, one thing I can commend here is how to commands this into a P!NK song as opposed to a Julia Michaels one, but to be honest I find the chorus a bit clunky and it's difficult to get around that. The wailing 'For NOoOooOoW' is fab, especially in an arena setting, and it definitely sounds like 'Just Give Me a Reason' part two - so I can see why a lot of people were calling for it to be released.

What I will say is that the last thirty seconds of the song is pretty cathartic and brilliant.

Commentary corner:
    @savilizabeths: (9) “This starts off sounding like yet another ballad but then it starts to kick up and the magic starts. The electric guitar sounds awesome. Pink’s vocal flavour is fantastic. It has such a strong chorus. I do kinda wish it had a proper bridge instead of a repeat verse, but that’s a common gripe I have with songs.”

@R27: (4) Promising first verse but the song quickly falls apart once the chorus hits and never regains its momentum

@Maki: (6.75) The one that never grew on me enough to love it. It's a bit basic and I'm not a fan of the verses. I really like the chanting parts (the post-choruses) and the production, but as a whole, it's a bit too forgettable and can't click with me.

@Music Is Life: (9.5) I love the production on this, especially the chugging guitar in the verses. It feels very much like a rock song, one of the only ones that does on this album, and I love the melody especially in the chorus, and her voice is so good on this. One of the best songs on the album.

@abael: (6) A few musical tricks on this track does little to distract from the feeling of creative paralysis.

@rick: (6) Not a bad song but like....could I have a scooch more tune?

@JMRGBY88: (5.5) Like most of the album it’s from, it’s middling.

Up next: y'all really hate fun.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  19. [​IMG]

Everyone liking the posts but not commenting...

20. Nope, Hurts 2B Human is actually a good album whereas Beautiful Trauma isn’t. Simple really.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.