Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER! | Page 60 | The Popjustice Forum

Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by swim, May 28, 2019.

1. Neither 'Slut Like You' nor 'Can We Pretend' are the next eliminations.

Music Is Death, JMRGBY and Maki like this.
  2. Just Like Fire went far too early for my liking. I’m very happy Slut Like You is still in the running for now because I’m low key a troll who loves to see you all pressed.

Oh was Just Like Fire the first single to fall if we ignore Revenge (and we really should)?

3. Slut Like You is the best thing its album had to offer and I love to see y'all being pressed. If it leaves before that other song tho...

4. Completely serious.

'Just Give Me A Reason', 'Just Like Fire', 'Let Me Let You Know', 'Revenge', 'Waterfall'... all repugnant.

5. It would seem so! And ‘Revenge’ was never a single, only intended to be.

Music Is Death, Maki and rick like this.
  6. Bridge Of Light definitely was a single too, at least over here.

Maki, rick and swim like this.
  7. kal

kal

Just Like Fire was done dirty. Y’all really hate the good P!nk songs.

8. This was my fourth 7/8 eliminated in a row. Can we please go back to eliminating the songs that are actually bad?

LiK, Maki and kal like this.
  9. I'm pretty sure the first single to be eliminated was "Waterfall", but "Just Like Fire" is the first proper solo single, with music video and all.

Can we get a hint on the next elimination(s), @Lost Boy?

soratami and swim like this.
  10. Tomorrow is all about revisiting the past.

Music Is Death, LiK, Maki and 4 others like this.
  11. kal

kal

If this is about Family Portrait I will kill whoever is responsible for its leaving this early.

It’s gonna be Conversations With My 13 Year Old Self huh.

Music Is Death, swim, LiK and 2 others like this.
  12. If either of these two leave tomorrow, I will riot!

But she has a handful of songs that 'revisit the past' and are not among her best. For example: "Good Old Days", "Dear Diary" (although it shouldn't be out yet) and, wait for it, "Can We Pretend".
    But I already sense it will be one of her masterpieces.

13. Just Like Fire is such a damn tune, it should hands down have been much higher.

Also it leaving before Can We Pretend is a joke, literally how is it still in.

soratami, Verandi, swim and 1 other person like this.
  14. R27

R27

Hmm, based on that clue I'm thinking "Barbies" will be leaving.

swim likes this.
  15. Not if I have anything to do with it.

16. That's one of the best songs on "Beautiful Trauma", so it better not be.

Music Is Death, AllGagaLike and swim like this.
  17. Sometimes dwelling on the past can help us see our present clearer, but sometimes it only damages the future as we get hung up on how things used to be.

18. Can we pretend that this isn't what I think it's gonna be?

19. Hell yeah.

Maki and JMRGBY like this.
  20. [​IMG]
    93. Good Old Days
    Average score: 6.75
    Highest score: 10x2 (@Music Is Life, @Robsolete)
    Lowest score: 3 (@P'NutButter)
    My score: 7

Listening to this again today, it struck me just how stunningly happy it is? Happy songs are in short supply, or they're chemically manipulated to be happy, and this just shines with acceptance from start to finish. I particularly love how it openly acknowledges her past struggles and the journey taken to get to the point right now, notably in the second verse:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 years ago
    I didn't see a belly with a child on the inside
    6, 7, 8, 10 years ago I thought I knew about love
    I only knew about the fight
    I look back and I realize all those times I was lonely
    Praying for someday to hurry up and come and save me

The song deals with a sudden realization that, actually, things right now aren't that bad. It's that revelation of a moment when we've had a few drinks and everything feels like it fits into place. It's reconciling our traumas and nostalgia with who you are in this very moment, and who you'd like to be.

With its handclaps and guitars aplenty, I knew this wasn't going to vibe too much with the forum but it is definitely worthy of a bonus placing on the album at least. Most people found it to be fine and that reflected in the scores with most being around the 7 mark. It goes make me think that we're at a point already in which the average is slowly ticking up and we're losing songs with actually decent scores at the halfway mark.

Commentary corner:
    @Sail On: (7.75) Love a good flip on the oft cliched nostalgia trope.
    Exactly!

@abael: (7) Although better than the previous, why put this song after Run? There’s cohesion, and then there’s repetition.

@Laurence: (7.5) This starts off pretty well? I like it, teehee.

@JMRGBY88: (9) a cute precursor to Barbies and Circle Game.

@P'NutButter: (3) Just goes on a bit

@Music Is Life: (10) Love this melodic, sunny bop. My favorite part about this song is probably the lyrics, and her voice. My favorite part is absolutely the third verse, especially since she sings, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5 years from now I hope I’m still getting down, hope I’m still around,” and she released her next album 5 years after this one.

@Maki: (7.5) Turned out to be rather tricky for me when scoring this one, because I like it and dislike it at the same time (but the former prevails). Catchy for sure, but annoying, too. The lyrics are really cute and funny, and the 'ahhh' backing vocals are really nice. It gets so repetitive near the end it makes me want to stop it. Weakest out of the four 'standard' bonus tracks from the album.

@R27: (7) It's not particularly profound, but it has its charms and is a lot of fun.

@savilizabeths: (6) “It’s really catchy, and that’s about all I have to say about it.”

@rick: (6) Meh

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.