Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER! | Page 64 | The Popjustice Forum

Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by swim, May 28, 2019.

1. I just... like having my weekend to myself and not sat at the computer, ddd. Sue me!

[​IMG]
    88. When We're Through
    Average score: 6.82
    Highest score: 10x4 (@Sanctuary, @tylerc904, @Music Is Life, @savilizabeths)
    Lowest score: 2.5 (@rick)
    My score: 8

Funhouse loses another bonus song, one actually released alongside 'Sober', in the form of the terribly melancholic and brutal 'When We're Through'. Tackling the morbid theme of life fucking you until you've had absolutely too much, and how there's no turning back, it embraces P!nk's 'campfire song' vibe and builds into a warm crescendo of wailing emotion.

I've always thought this was a fantastic exploration of suicidal thoughts, and how in that moment you feel abandoned by life and totally in the hands of some cruel fate. Everyone is strong enough to withstand what life throws at us, but we all have a breaking point - and once we're through, we're through.

I've made it past the age of 27, so there's no use in dying.

A heartbreakingly honest line about passing that iconic age and still being alive. I'm sure you'll understand if you've felt it yourself but those of us growing up with mental health issues and suicidal thoughts will understand that we grew up... not expecting to be alive. And then before we know it, we look back and we've grown older and somehow we're still grinding on as tired as ever, and the drama of dying is void and lost... Is there any point in dreaming of it anymore?

Of course, this is projecting my own feelings on to the song but the best lyricism allows you to do that. @R27 sums it up well by describing it as existential dread and... I think that's a perfect little way to describe the songs topic. The way she so easily describes a topic like depression that is so impossibly difficult to understand, ugh her mind.

Commentary corner:
    @nikkysan: (9) I love how this tells us the aftermath of Sober. It makes it such a perfect b-side to accompany the single.

@Verandi: (8) Very nice, would have put it in the album instead of Mean.

@P'NutButter: (7) Really dark lyrically, I love the Janis Joplin bit.

@rick: (2.5) Horrible breathy vocals

@abael: (7) This is a solid song that could easily have replaced Crystal Ball on the album, another good track obscured by it’s release.This is a solid song that could easily have replaced Crystal Ball on the album, another good track obscured by it’s release.

@Music Is Life: (10) I used to not pay much attention to this but one day, a few or more months ago, I was listening to her music on shuffle, and this just hit me over the head. It’s just such a beautifully sad song. Obviously yes, P!nk is full of them, but she does them so fucking well. And the melody – she has a great ear for melodies doesn’t she? Like I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad one from her. And her vooooiiiiccceee. I will never be able to express just how much I love it. That third verse honestly kills me every time. This better fucking do well, or I’ll riot.

@Maki: (5.75) Never been too keen on this, and that hasn’t changed. It took me forever to memorize how the song goes. The melody is too bland most of the time. It does improve in the second half, but it still isn’t good enough. Good choice for a B-side, since it would’ve been the weakest song on the album. Again, the country side of P!nk isn’t really for me.

@R27: (8.5) I too enjoy sudoku, wine, and crying over existential dread. Maybe P!nk and I should meet up to discuss and partake in these activities together.

@savilizabeths: (10) “Story driven country songs are known for incredible and detailed lyrics, and this one feels like that. I love the level of detail. It really paints a picture and helps me connect to the song. I love this one more and more every time I hear it. God, I connect to this so much. It’s a perfect picture of depression and it gives me chills. I almost want to cry because I relate so much it hurts.”

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. It's the only great best 'campfire song' she has. Crystal Ball should have left way before this.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    abael and SlowGinFizzzz like this.
  3. Oh, I almost forgot about that one. I completely agree with the brutally honest and detailed lyrics, though - they're so good, and the 'club 27' and 'Janis Joplin' references are such a clever inclusion.
    Unfortunately, it sonically just never appealed to me as much as I wanted, and doesn't have that melody passage that her usual sad songs do. Once again, I repeat that 'campfire' P!nk is usually not for me.
    "When We're Through" was my second lowest score remaining in the entire rate, and the lowest remaining score for songs from "Funhouse".
    "Crystall Ball" should be the next cut from that album.

No worries @Lost Boy, take your time. A day or two off is nothing when the rate has this amount of songs.

soratami and swim like this.
  4. R27

R27

Oh no, one of my favourite bonus tracks in the rate. Also, it's way too early to be talking about cutting "Crystal Ball".

soratami and swim like this.
  5. I should've given this a 10 tbh, one of her best songs.

swim likes this.
  6. Impressive vocal showcase goes next, then two ballads - one subdued, one huge. Both gorgeous! We break the 7 point mark at 79.

7. Like I said, lyrically I love how dark that one is.

swim and Maki like this.
  8. No! What the fuck guys?

Music Is Death and swim like this.
  9. [​IMG]
    87. White Rabbit
    Average score: 6.83
    Highest score: 10x3 (@Sprockrooster, @soratami, @Verandi)
    Lowest score: 3 (@abael)
    My score: 4

Initially I wasn't going to include this, tempted only by @Maki and its inclusion on Beautiful Trauma, because I really didn't know how a soundtrack song and a cover that is... literally just a vocal showcase would do. As such, I included this on the bonus section instead of in Beautiful Trauma, which this was a bonus track for in Japan.

Consider my surprise then when it actually trumped all of the other bonus tracks and a few of my top scores, considering my low score for it. It's a fantastic cover that really shows just how far her vocals continue to come, but I don't actively search this out because of how niche it is. Typically I use music for an emotional connection and this is very story based, revolving around Alice in Wonderland completely.

And with that our bonus songs have all vacated.

Commentary corner:
    @Sprockrooster: (10) I completely missed this. And now I stan hard.

@Reboot: (9) Amazing song. Why was this not on the album?

@P'NutButter: (9) I was expecting a P!nk rock/pop version of this, but her vocals are so good. Wow.

@rick: (7) It’s the best version of this I’ve heard. But still not that good.

@Sail On: (9) Her vibrato sends me at the end of this one. Would really love if she could go further down this Jefferson Airplane route.

@abael: (3) Odd, bad cover choice. Pink seems out of touch with this song.

?????

@tylerc904: (8) I adore this song in its original form and she does a great job. Certainly better than her other Alice song.

@Music Is Life: (8.5) I really like this. I know it’s a cover, but this is such an interesting song production-wise, and the lyrics are delightfully weird, and perfect for the movie. I really like this

@Maki: (9) I was a bit confused not seeing this track among the “Beautiful Trauma” songs, since it was released as a Japanese bonus track for that album, but it’s here. Feels a bit odd to rate a P!nk cover. I already love (and prefer) the original, and she can do no wrong, so it gets a pretty high score. The verses are brilliant and I love the dramatic production, while the rest isn’t up to the original version.

@R27: (7.5) A solid cover.

@savilizabeths: (9) “Definitely the surprise of the extras. It’s such an incredible moment. Definitely the superior Alice song from her. It’s so dramatic and theatrical. It’s got so much power and dynamic. The lyrics are really good and I just love this one!”

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  10. I love for White Rabbit to have that feat, but Fingers is still here right?

11. I mean extras!

soratami, Maki and Sprockrooster like this.
  12. Oh great. I felt like there are much more bonus tracks, but somehow Fingers was the only one to pop up at the moment (dirty mind ddd). Great for White Rabbit to be the highest ranked Extra.

soratami and Maki like this.
  13. This is where @Maki jumps in again to remind us that it is a Beautiful Trauma bonus song (not to me!).

Real bonus songs remaining:

Heartbreaker
    Centerfold
    Fingers
    Disconnected
    Boring
    This Is How It Goes Down
    My Signature Move
    Is This Thing On?
    Timebomb
    The King is Dead...
    More

Sail On, Music Is Death, LiK and 5 others like this.
  14. Oh this must be my first 10 to go. The other extras can't relate to this quality.

Not this tracklist being stronger than any album dddd the quality of the bonus tracks.

15. I... don’t disagree. What a collection.

Maki, nikkysan and Verandi like this.
  16. oops I forgot 'Run'.

17. All the remaining b-sides/bonus tracks can stay for a long while yet, they're all great. But with how this rate has gone I'm sure that won't happen...

Verandi, Music Is Death, LiK and 2 others like this.
  18. I thought she did a pretty decent job with 'White Rabbit'. My favourite cover of it though is the one in Sucker Punch.

swim and Maki like this.
  19. iforgot.gif
    Yeah, I think I messed up somehow with the last couple comments, scores are right though, so no worries.

swim likes this.
  20. This going out at number 92 is a joke.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.