Pink: The Discography Rate ∞ WINNER!

he / him
Fingers.png

33. Fingers

Average score: 8.16
Highest score: 10x8
@The Hot Rock, @soratami, @Verandi, @rick, @tylerc904, @Hurricane Drunk, @LiK, @Music Is Life
Lowest score: 4 (@Daniel_O)
My score: 9

When it's late at night and you're fast asleep
I let my fingers do the walking
I press record I become a fiend
While no one else is watching
I let my fingers do the walking

Early on in the rate I mentioned a few songs surprising me with their decent positioning and 'Fingers' is absolutely one of them. Whilst certainly deserving of its placement, I never expected such a weird song to receive 8 tens and an 8.16 average.

'Fingers' is the epitome of masturbation anthems complete with gasps for air, operatic backing vocals and the dirtiest of kicks. This, alongside Rihanna's 'Skin' and Britney's 'Breathe On Me', manages to capture sexual pleasure completely without making it sound clinical. Considering the song is actually about your partner being unable to please you so much that you finish yourself off, that's quite a feat.

Commentary corner:
@Verandi: (10) The chorus melody has always given me superhero movie teas somehow.

@The Hot Rock: (10) Okay, I love this. Wish I heard this when I was originally into the album.

@rick: (10) Impossible to hear this song without remembering her performance on the Im Not Dead tour. Fantastic song

@tylerc904: (10) P!nk so rarely did “sexy” after this album, and it’s a damn shame. She is living her Janet fantasy here, while still inserting her typical humor towards the end.

@Music Is Life: (10) Oh my God this song. Another one I loved upon immediate listen. It’s just so fucking sexy. And I’m sure the lyrics will get a lot of attention – as they should – but I’m talking about the production. The production itself is sexy. That electric guitar and those drum beats – a combination she has in almost every single one of her upbeat songs – here, they mix to create an atmosphere of heat and sex. Add a few electronic flourishes, and a great synth beat undertone, you have a sexy dance-rock song about masturbation. And it’s amazing.

@JMRGBY88: (9) a lost classic.

@savilizabeths: (8) “This is a goddamn bop actually. Like, daaamn. It’s so sexually charged and she really fucking sells it. I don’t even know what to say about this. It’s just….damn. Get it, girl!”

@Maki: (8.75) I can see (and hear) why this is one of the fan favorite songs. It's a unique song in her discography. While it's not among my very favorite bonus tracks, I really enjoy it. The production is really good and interesting, given the time of the release and something different for her. I love the chorus, and the song could’ve been a great choice for the actual album, not just remain a bonus track.

@R27: (7.5) Female pop star odes to masturbation are pretty much always good aren't they?

@abael: (7) Definitely a departure for the era, and Pink pulls it off well.

I didn't know that "Feel Good Time" had so many fans, I though it wasn't one of those more popular songs.
It's very enjoyable song, with a great and fun production, but it was about time for it to go (although it was a bit underscored by me).

"Fingers", as expected, became one of the highest-placing bonus tracks, but I'm not that bothered by its elimination.
I love how interesting it sounds, with all the electronic influences, yet has the classic pop-rock vibe we are used to from her. However, it never was one of my favorite bonus tracks/B-sides by P!nk, but 8,75 is a score I stand behind.
Also this leaves 'Heartbreaker' and 'Timebomb' as the last remaining bonus tracks.
I expected these two to last long, as they deserve it. I gave them both a 9 or 9,5 and they should be around for a while.
Although, I still miss "Centerfold" (among some other unpopular bonus tracks) in the top 30.

Despite giving it a 10, Feel Good Time would have no business in doing better than it did. It is just not Pink at all.

If we would do a rate of faceless songs I would be rooting for it more.

'Feel Good Time' is such an odd track, even listening to it today you can't really compare it to anything, it does have an influence of 'Beautiful Stranger' though, probably because of Orbit's production. I love it.

I also really fucking love 'Fingers', it's just darkly grimy sounding in the best way.

he/him
Feel Good Time is definitely down there as one of her worst singles. The bottom four are basically just the Try This singles.