Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs & Albums of the 2010s | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs & Albums of the 2010s

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by dewzero, Oct 7, 2019.

1. I certainly wouldn't be the one to do it, but imagine the amazing carnage of a "Big Pop Girls of the Decade" rate, where all of our faves had 5-10 of their biggest/best songs from this decade representing them. Just speaking it into existence...

2. RJF

RJF

Adele has done more damage to pop music and how people perceive it than pretty much anyone else in the last ten years. She literally opened the door for Ed Sheeran and every single other boring, wonder-allergic, ready salted anti-superstar we've had to suffer since then. I don't care how dirty her laugh is or how much people want to go for a pint with her. A popstar is not, and will never be.

Mr.Arroz, RainOnFire, Tabris and 44 others like this.
  3. Lemonade and BEYONCE are masterpieces, they should honestly be #1 and #2 on that list, with 4 in the top 10.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  4. Dirty Computer feels weirdly overlooked in general and I’m not entirely sure why. By all accounts it was received well and only bolstered her stardom, but at the same time...it seemed like people forgot about it quickly? Like Americans at least deserved some sort of shoutout

5. I only really included Adele because in a decade where album sales continued to dip and streaming reign supreme, the fact she’s been able to still be a big physical seller is something. But like I said even with that in Adele’s favour, Beyoncé still dominated this entire decade both musically and culturally.

6. Island

Island Staff Member

@BEST FICTION this is the true crime.

7. This is all fine but I’m ready for critics to coronate Wrapped in Red as Christmas album of the decade. A Very Kacey Christmas as runner up.

Tracy Jacks likes this.
  8. I don’t really have issue with the crowning of Blonde, but Pitchfork’s need to spin every discussion of every important album into a meta-commentary on “LIFE IN AMERICA” is just so, nn.

Not that Blonde is an apolitical album per say, and not that Pitchfork have ever worked well in subtle nuance, but it’s like they don’t know how to justify what quantifies as work worth celebrating in any other context than “IMPORTANT!!!!” and after 400 blurbs it starts to come off as so corny.

9. That kind music was very popular before Adele. Come on.

GLC and spike3271 like this.
  10. Whilst Adele is not musically my cup of tea, I wouldn’t discredit her influence or talent.
    Rolling In The Deep is a bit iconic.

Andrew.L and GLC like this.
  11. Sure, her numbers are impressive, but aren't they mostly down to the fact that a sizeable portion of her audience is older and wouldn't go anywhere near digital/streaming? See also The Greatest Showman's reign of terror.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  12. Some great songs on that list, just in a very weird order.

13. Wasnt it Pitchfork that hated Born This Way so much that they wouldn’t even review it?

14. On a list of two hundred albums they made like 10-20 good choices. It's like wading through sewage. I'll repeat it again for the millionth time this decade: I don't get why ya'll give them the attention.

Ashling92 and QueenB like this.
  15. Other than the albums everyone has mentioned, I feel like these ones should've been on the list too.

- Chairlift - Something (2012)
    - DJDS - Stand Up and Speak (2015)
    - Empress of - Me (2015)
    - Ty Dolla $ign - Beach House 3 (2018)

16. It’s by no means my favourite album on the list but ‘Self Control’ alone justifies a high placement for Blonde.

17. The Gaga omission is a certified mess, but I stan the top 5 albums.

D.Jay likes this.
  18. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

@Ironheade and I are working on a joint project in Charts and Rates where this forum creates our on Best of List for 2010s Albums and Songs. If you’re interested, it will launch in January.

I think a lot of good choices were made for the album list but also some weird ones. Would’ve been curious to see them do the Top 500 list instead.

GimmeWork, Cutlery, Island and 9 others like this.
  19. I feel like Aquarius should have been on here, especially as it did what Anti did a year or so earlier.

Also, dirty computer didn’t even make their top 50 back in the 2018 year end....

20. Where is the Doom Gremlin Queen? She dropped an album so good this decade, we need to wait till the next one for album two!

Kuhleezi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.