Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs & Albums of the 2010s | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs & Albums of the 2010s

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by dewzero, Oct 7, 2019.

1. I didn't "get" Blonde when it came out and was annoyed at having bought it on release day because I wanted to hear it and it wasn't on streaming. I've warmed to it quite a bit in the time since then and don't regret my purchase after all. Still prefer Channel Orange though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    itylts likes this.
  2. Come On A Cone was awarded Best New Track in 2012, so it's not an out of the blue inclusion.

3. Why do Pitchfork hate Kelis? At least one of Flesh Tone or Food deserved to be represented. Acapella slaps more today than it did in 2010.

4. I was so underwhelmed on release and yep, wasn’t a fan that I had to pay for it before even having a chance to listen but I’ve been revisiting it and it definitely deserves a top 10 placement, undecided about the top spot though.

Fluorocarbon likes this.

5. We love the true Top 3 of the 2010s.

6. Omitting Flesh Tone is actually homophobic though.

7. Yes, please do this. plugplugplug

Not a bad selection, all things considered. (Trivia time: they got five out of ten albums that I intend on picking for my albums ballot in the Top 200, and a sixth of the artists is represented with a different album.) Nothing terribly surprising, knowing what direction Pitchfork editorial trends in these days taste-wise - and I'm never particularly bothered about the order, to a large extent those are arbitrary. Anyway, solid list, I'll see a lot worse in this vein.

Oh, but one thing. WHERE THE FUCK ARE SWANS?! Seriously, with how acclaimed The Seer, To Be Kind and The Glowing Man all were - including by Pitchfork! - that seems a bit of an oversight! Some other albums I think are conspicuously missing:
    Big KRIT - 4Eva is a Mighty Long Time
    Chelsea Wolfe - Both Abyss and Hiss Spun please, maybe also Apokalypsis if there's room
    Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
    Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
    Death Grips - At least one other album than The Money Store. Either No Love Deep Web or Bottomless Pit, I think.
    Deathspell Omega - Paracletus (needs more metal in general really)
    Denzel Curry - At least one of Imperial and TA13OO, preferably both
    Kids See Ghosts (definitely in place of Watch the Throne!)
    King Gizzard - Definitely something, but I'll have to get back to you on what
    Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation (honestly, a lot of the rap picks are a CHOICE)
    Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree (maybe Push the Sky Away as well, though that's on the bubble; Ghosteen is really too new for consideration)
    Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork
    Sun Kil Moon - Benji (oh, I could pontificate here...)

And no, I'm not reading the blurbs. Considering Pitchfork's tendencies towards tedious WOKE and SO IMPORTANT and THE SONG WE NEED RIGHT NOW posturing, it'd probably just make me surly.

Crisp X and ohnostalgia like this.
  8. Not so much of an oversight as probably an executive decision not to further promote the work of an alleged rapist.

9. I really don't get Blonde.

10. I actually really enjoy Blonde, I disagree with it being the number one album though, and Channel Orange is the superior album in my opinion.

Also, Flower Boy by Tyler The Creator should have been way higher on the list.

And people were right to point out the lack of Kelis, Flesh Tone could have been a great inclusion.

Andy French and Sprockrooster like this.
  11. Pitchfork’s write up of Kaytranada’s album is just so, so misinformed. Calling it a benchmark pop album that is a reaction to the dominating white EDM scene of 2016? It’s...nowhere close to a pop album. Or an EDM album. Like the fact he is a gay black producer is extremely important....but the way they twist it into this response to the whiteness of EDM is so fucking stupid. And then for them to rank Settle (which I consider 99.9% to be a sister album of) just three spots ahead as the pinnacle of club music in the 2010’s is just so....funny. I love Settle and I don’t disagree that it is such a defining album of the decade’s house/club scene, but so was 99.9% and to just classify it as a response to EDM whiteness is so not it. The way Pitchfork has to trip over themselves to act like they are one of the ‘wokest’ publications when they have literally no idea what they’re talking about and often contradict themselves in the same goddamn lists is so frustrating.

12. I wouldn't take it so seriously. Everybody having their own interpretations of music is kind of what makes it so special, no? So not a big deal if they approach it from totally another place.

13. Ddd okay it is a bit massive but I’m bored at work so

14. Is Pitchfork an Americunty publication?

15. She's not 20 or white.

16. I was really hoping to see Young Fathers being included on the album list, oh well...

Kirkland likes this.
  17. The only song I listen to from Blond on a regular basis is Ivy.

R27 likes this.
  18. Where the fuck is Reality Show by Jazmine Sullivan!?

FINISH LINE and soratami like this.
  19. This is also why Heartbreak on Hold wasn't on the list.

20. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Not much different than a lot of people on this site and even this thread itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.