Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs & Albums of the 2010s | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs & Albums of the 2010s

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by dewzero, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Should ‘Style’ have been in there considering what a moment ‘1989’ was?

Though in pitchfork’s reviews of all the albums in the lead up to a Lover, I guess they stanned hardest for Red so ‘All Too Well’ inclusion isn’t that much of a surprise.

Definitely expected more Gaga, especially as she was mentioned in the editor’s explanation of counting things from 2009 that had more of an impact in 2010 (was Bad Romance in their 2000s round up?)

Sprockrooster, GRMusic and Jacques like this.
  2. Genuinely surprised Kelly Clarkson's Piece by Piece (Idol Version) wasn't included. Would have preferred Drunk in Love or Haunted, or Partition to make the list over XO as far as song from BEYONCE are concerned.

I still need to give the list a proper read but it does paint a brilliant picture of how over the past decade the popular genre has become rap/hip hop over EDM and straight up pop which dominated the early parts of the decade.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  3. Sis.

4. M.I.A. embarrassed Pitchfork with that album. Didn't the reviewer accuse her of being paranoid about the government using internet data without our knowledge only for her to be absolutely right. Connected to the Google connected to the government for real.

5. Nice to see Stonemilker included and Joanna's Good Intentions at #29 but it's a very odd listing overall. Robyn should've been at number one and let's face it: King Kunta > Alright. And where's Janelle's Q.U.E.E.N? Nothing from Tegan & Sara, Gaga nor Madonna (although it really wasn't her decade)?

Edit: And Lil Uzi Vert, really? *facepalm*

6. They didn't review 1989 either and still had it in their end of the year list. I mean, I'm not expecting them to include it but with the poptimism movement and Gaga being 'cool' again you would think that maybe they could acknowledge it now. Then again maybe they simply just didn't like the album.

Jacques likes this.
  7. Say what you want about her as a person but 1989 absolutely deserves a place on the list.

8. PopJustice should do a list.

Blond, TRAVVV and GimmeWork like this.
  9. After he did a NewMusicFriday of only Troya Sivana tracks?

[​IMG]

10. 212 being top 10 is so deserved, a timeless classique!

Justice for @1991 and Liquorice though.

11. aux

aux

...I can't tell if this is a joke or if you really thought that would make it.

12. RJF

RJF

Sometimes artists need a new album to come out for people to appreciate the old classics.

Not, you know, stick-on paper that goes around your eyes and eyeliner.

13. R27

R27

There are some glaring emissions (such as Gaga) and truly head-scratching inclusions (such as 3 out of 5 of the Beyoncé tracks), but there were a lot of pleasant surprises on the list too and some genuinely great write ups. The write up for Levels had me feeling all kinds of things in particular.

14. Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded having 2 placements on the list... a classic.

Jacques and TRAVVV like this.
  15. It is not overrated but still the others are better.
    Beez is Nicki's best track so at least that makes sense.

16. XO being included over Partition is a hate crime.

It'll be the A Star Is Born soundtrack and we'll all deal with it.

varjak, soratami and matthew. like this.
  17. Madame X.

18. Albums are here!

- Beyoncé at 41, 31, and 3 with Lemonade, 4, and Self-Titled respectively (I believe this is the most entries on the list, tied with Kanye and Kendrick)
    - Gaga at 151 with The Fame Monster
    - Rihanna at 12 with Anti
    - Ariana at 100 with Sweetener
    - Taylor at 59 with Red
    - Robyn at 71 and 8 with Honey and Body Talk
    - Lorde at 14 with Melodrama
    - Solange at 81 and 6 with When I Get Home and A Seat at the Table respectively
    - Lana at 19 with Norman Fucking Rockwell
    - Nicki at 166 with The Pinkprint
    - Cardi at 73 with Invasion of Privacy

5. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do
    4. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
    3. Beyoncé - Beyoncé
    2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    1. Frank Ocean - Blonde

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  19. I’m confused at Norman Fucking Rockwell being so high despite only being a few months old

Sprockrooster likes this.
  20. RJF

RJF

sweetener higher than The Fame Monster. sweetener anywhere near the list at all.

Clowns.

OlliMaus, Mr.Arroz, stuaw and 61 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.