@Lego
@Maki
@Oleander
@swim
@TéléDex
@Tiger Suit
@Untouchable Ace

~24 hours left to vote!

One song is STILL on zero so it is YOUR responsibility to fix this. I expect to have all ballots by the time I wake up tomorrow at around 12:00 CET.​

Since the whole reason I returned for PJXtra was to celebrate all things Estonian, I'm going to get in before the voting closes and share some personal anecdotes and piccies...

livefromtallinn!
IMG-5816.avif

I've been to Estonia (Tallinn, more specifically) twice in the past two years - after one of my closest friends and his partner moved there in 2021. Before then, I didn't know anything about Estonia, its capital or its culture - but I relished the opportunity to visit for the first time back in the first week of October, 2022.

During this first visit, I was here for 8 days, living with my friends (in what I believe was the Pelgulinn district) and working remotely. This was more than enough time to get a feel for the city and find my way around. This was also a great time of year to visit, as autumn was setting in but the cold of winter hadn't arrived yet (more on that later).

Some general thoughts/experiences from this first visit (which also apply to my second visit):

- The Old Town is really beautiful and maintains such a great sense of those centuries of history. It really is one of the most underrated sights I've experienced across broader Europe.
- While the Old Town is obviously a key attraction, it was 'modern' Tallinn that really won me over. Particularly the Ratimanni and Teliskivi (sp?) neighbourhoods. Both of these areas have such great bars, cafes, shops, etc. Tallin has this really cool, progressive spirit complementing its historical side - and I loved grabbing coffee or a drink in these areas.
- Speaking of coffee, Tallinn has the best coffee I've ever drank in Europe (and I've sampled a fair chunk of it at this point). I would put it a very close second to Australian coffee on the global standard. It's incredible. And the Estonians know their way around a pastry. My goodness.
- Speaking of drinks, I embraced my trashy side in this first trip and really got around the 'Longdrink', which is a gin and grapefruit concoction that's super cheap, sweet and may have gotten me very drunk on more than one occasion. I'm not sure how @Up N Down feels about it, but it absolutely hit the spot.
- One of my other highlights of this trip was hiring an e-bike and riding along the coastline. Tallinn's position by the water is really quite lovely and it was a great way to see the city. In fact, using Bolt to e-scooter around everywhere for like 2 euros was a dream.
- I also did karaoke at a bar called Retrotek (karaoke seems to be quite popular here, courtesy of Estonia's proximity to Finland I believe?). I'm not sure Tallinn was ready for my drunk ass giving everything I had to a rendition of Geri Halliwell's 'It's Raining Men' - but YA WELCOME.
- Other random things I loved about Tallinn: Kalev Spa, a heated indoor aquatic centre that was great for swimming laps no matter the weather (and always had an abundance of beautiful men in the vicinity). Restaurant V - a vegan restaurant in the old town that is arguably the best vegan food I've ever eaten if you're into plant-based cuisine. Prisma, the big-ass supermarket chain that has its own salad bar inside (great for a quick lunch).

Some piccies from this first visit:

Meeting a local. @Up N Down dat u bb?
D1054274-9-DE3-4-B7-C-BBA6-EAD670690014.jpg

Kadriorg Palace
IMG-0376.jpg

Teleskivi at night
IMG-5856.avif

I then returned to Tallinn again less than two months ago, at the tail end of April 2024. This time around, the weather had other plans - even though it was Spring, and the poor Estonians had been dealing with shorter days, cold and snow for months on-end at this point:

IMG-6452.avif

IMG-6494.avif

IMG-6530.avif

While the snow was a fun magical little novelty for an Australian, I do think I preferred the Tallinn of my first trip - where I could scoot or walk around, enjoy a longdrink outside, see the Old Town unencumbered by snow, etc. But I'm still glad I got to go back!

(And I was very glad to hear Spring started to show up just a week or so after I was there. I will take full credit for this.)

Ultimately, if you ever want to see a part of Europe that's a little less touristy, but still filled with things to do and experience (did I mention great coffee and great karaoke?) I would definitely recommend a visit to Estonia! I have very fond memories of my time there.​

Last edited:
He/Him
- While the Old Town is obviously a key attraction, it was 'modern' Tallinn that really won me over. Particularly the Ratimanni and Teliskivi (sp?) neighbourhoods. Both of these areas have such great bars, cafes, shops, etc.
You mean Rotermann dd. It's where the rich and beautiful hang out. That and Telliskivi are where a lot of the nightlife has moved in the recent years though Old Town still has its place. Sadly one of the main LGBT+ friendly bars here Sveta Bar in Telliskivi was closed recently, I don't know if you've been there. Another fave of mine is the techno club Hall. I don't necessarily always enjoy the music there but I just love the place and atmosphere.

- Speaking of drinks, I embraced my trashy side in this first trip and really got around the 'Longdrink', which is a gin and grapefruit concoction that's super cheap, sweet and may have gotten me very drunk on more than one occasion. I'm not sure how @Up N Down feels about it, but it absolutely hit the spot.
I do like it but it is indeed seen as a cheap and trashy drink lol. I used to have it more often when I was younger.

- Other random things I loved about Tallinn: Kalev Spa, a heated indoor aquatic centre that was great for swimming laps no matter the weather (and always had an abundance of beautiful men in the vicinity).
I actually still haven't been to that but right next to it is Reval Sport which has great saunas. I used to go there a lot but me and my friends have made so much fun about the hygienic side of these places that I'm put off by them now lol. But yes a lot of eye candy always hehe.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing that @livefrommelbs. I loved it.

I have just received the final ballot so the WSW list is up next...

He/Him
KESSAATISMIDA.jpg

ABREU - Valheista kaunein // livefrommelbs
Hana Malhas - Endal Eneed // saviodxl
Ana Mena & GALE - La Razón // soratami
Ankathie Koi - Tanz dich rein // A&E
Claude - Écoutez-Moi // Sprockrooster
MeidĖ - Vaiduoklis // Isobel
TUVA - hejhejdå // Derek
Sinego - Mujer // swim
ascendant vierge - Dedans // Up N Down
William Stridh - Dårar // HarryEzra
SISTAR19 - NO MORE (MA BOY) // Phonetics Girl
Kiki - Rodeo // BubblegumBoy
Elyanna - GANENI // daninternational
Irina Rimes - Dis-moi Maman // iheartpoptarts
Deichkind - Luftbahn // DominoDancing
bryska - odbicie (Mark Neve Remix) // WoW73
Elsa Lila - Mars // TéléDex
Iphis Well - Sunglasses // Maki
Yara Mustafa - A'ISH BALAK // Ana Raquel
GDRN - Utan þjónustusvæðis (feat. Unnsteinn) // klow
Gruff Rhys - Allweddellau Allweddol // pop3blow2
Bianca Atzei - Discoteca // berserkboi
PaulWetz - Nur für eine Nacht // Conan
Laura Esquivel - Ya no me duele // cdd216
Regi & Camille - Vergeet De Tijd // Million_Lights
Subin - Circle's Dream // Lego
Helena Paparizou - I Agapi Sou Den Meni Pia Edo // WowWowWowWow
Kenia OS - Tortura // Oleander
sangiovanni - fluo // Untouchable Ace
Sandy Lam - 沙文 Core // Tiger Suit
Automates, RAUMM, BXTR, Saddie - Meta // undisco_me

Reveals are likely to take place sometime tomorrow (unless late tonight but ambitious). I need a little time to prepare and I'm busy with a lot of other stuff this week as well so it's difficult to fit these in somewhere. In the meantime you can pretend to be shocked at the names next to some of these entries.

Last edited:
Only a couple of these entries were obvious to me. The competition is pretty strong so I'm not really sure who could win but Ana Mena surely seems like a contender.

Anyway, I'm continuing my 'basic bops I love but don't love' phase in PJXtra with Iphis Well and her very catchy and fun synthpop tune. I randomly stumbled upon it sometime this year and it immediately grabbed me, and obviously sounded like something PJ crew would be here for. It also reminded me of Chérine, kinda has a similar and less annoying vocal style going on too.
So 16 languages with some English and sort of English sprinkled here and there.
The shade here fff I knew it was about my entry. The heavy French accent during the English bits is part of the appeal for me.

Aside from "Sunglasses", I don't know any other song by Iphis but will likely have to investigate more. Hopefully you liked her quirky boppery.