PJ Morton (six-time Grammy nominee!) - Gumbo (R&B/neo-soul album) | The Popjustice Forum

PJ Morton (six-time Grammy nominee!) - Gumbo (R&B/neo-soul album)

Discussion in 'Potential next big things' started by londonrain, Nov 29, 2017.

1. PJ Morton is an American R&B singer who has been releasing albums as a solo artist since 2005 but is probably most famous for joining Maroon 5 in 2012 to fill in for their keyboardist, Jesse Carmichael (he then stayed with the band after Jesse rejoined).

His Maroon 5 bandmates Adam Levine and James Valentine were featured on his 2012 single "Heavy", which was from an EP released through Lil' Wayne's label Young Money:

but his most recent album is the self-released Gumbo, which is pretty great as an R&B/neo-soul record and has just received a Grammy nomination for Best R&B Album. PJ also got a Grammy nomination for the album's opening track, "First Began":

The singles so far have been "Claustrophobic" (my personal favourite):

"Go Thru Your Phone":

and "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" (featuring BJ The Chicago Kid and The Hamiltones):

2. spillett likes this.
  3. Not sure anything is really grabbing me but his voice is pretty nice. Thanks for the tag.

londonrain likes this.
  4. PJ is working with Monica on her new album.

He wrote Getaway on her 2006 album The Makings of Me.

TRAVVV likes this.
  5. PJ has received three Grammy nominations: Best R&B Album for Gumbo Unplugged, Best R&B Performance for First Began (presumably the live version) and Best Traditional R&B Performance for How Deep Is Your Love.

Kii at First Began getting nominated two years running.

TRAVVV likes this.
  6. Why aren't we talking about his delightful Christmas record? I love:

londonrain likes this.
  7. I totally missed this! I definitely need to listen to this.

To be honest I'd also missed Gumbo Unplugged entirely until these Grammy nominations came out. Yebba's feature on the cover of the Bee Gees' How Deep Is Your Love is rather gorgeous and I'm really looking forward to hearing how the Gumbo tracks translate live.

EDIT: I've just realised that he's received more Grammy nominations as a solo act (six nominations, three of which are from this year) than he has in the six years that he's been a member of Maroon 5 (four nominations, of which one is from this year).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    TRAVVV likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.