PJ OPS Song Contest V (THANKS FOR PLAYING! POINTS CHART ON PAGE 1) | The Popjustice Forum

PJ OPS Song Contest V (THANKS FOR PLAYING! POINTS CHART ON PAGE 1)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by WowWowWowWow, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Consider yourself dared.

It’s just about time for the next PJ OPS Song Contest!

I am nothing if not a people pleaser, so I have a gift for the PJ Oldies and Their Allies:

[​IMG]

This time around, somewhat by popular demand and considering the calendar, our theme will be centered around our upcoming winter season. Many asked for a Christmas theme, which I personally would love, but respecting the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas or even likes it, I felt like we should make the theme a little looser than that.

So you can still send your favorite Christmas carol, but no pressure—your favorite Hanukkah anthem, an ode to snow, or a winter-themed jam will be gladly accepted as well. Just make sure it was released before 2000. There will be no Josie and the Pussycats OST scandals on my watch, people!

Helpful hints:
    Don Henley - "The Boys of Summer" - Not a good choice for this theme
    U2 - "White as Snow" - Would be vetoed since it's by U2 (and on their 2009 album), although getting better
    Frank Zappa - "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow" - You're disgusting, but sure

SO...
    Starting Wednesday, you can send me your song selections. I will wrap everything up with a nice bow and send it over to the Island of the Misfit Toys for their deliberations.

[​IMG]

I imagine you all know the drill by now, but feel free to PM me if you’re unsure for whatever reason.

Timeline:
    Submission opens: Wednesday, November 20th 0:00 GMT
    Submission closes: Tuesday Nov. 26th 23:59 GMT
    Veto panel wraps up: As needed
    Voting opens: Friday, November 29th (or whenever the veto panel finishes)
    Voting closes: Monday, December 9th, 12:00 GMT**
    Reveal: Monday, December 9th, 20:00 GMT

Hopefully this theme is a compromise for everyone, but hey—if you want to Grinch out, we will see you in Contest VI! In the meantime, get your wooly thinking caps on, and I look forward to your PM’s on Wednesday.

**I live in the USA and will be busy on Sunday the 8th, so setting a midnight Sunday-into-Monday deadline doesn't make sense for me, nor does saying midnight my time since that will be overnight for many of you. Thus, I figure 12:00 GMT gives everyone either an extra evening to vote or an extra few hours on Monday...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (PREVIEW)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. Maleström

Maleström Guest

Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (PREVIEW)

Dang, I've probably seen more snow in my life than the rest of yous guys put together (I'm really old + born in the Arctic Circle) and I've been writing down names of dozens of great songs on a piece of paper (both sides already filled up) for months now -- BUT I SEEM TO HAVE NO SONGS TO SUIT THIS THEME... What a challenge!

4. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (PREVIEW)

So many great tunes to choose from, this could get tricky...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

THAT IS NOT ME IN THE PHOTO.

*(Unless it was a weekend, whoops*).

6. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

Tricky.

7. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (PREVIEW)

Boy am I going to feel pretty foolish if I flop.

I think I've figured out who you are.
    [video=youtube;DInQ7XWJYAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInQ7XWJYAM[/video]

8. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

Watch Frida Sundemo get submitted by at least two people.

9. Maleström

Maleström Guest

Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

Haha, that's terrifyingly close, Laurence; I've actually performed at the opening of an art exhibition by that ice drummer guy in the video...

10. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

Oh my... how exciting! I love Wintry music so this theme is right up my street.

11. Pye

Pye

Fantastic, love the theme! Some of my most favorite winter songs are post 1999 so to find a pre 1999 wintery themed song is definitely going to challenge me.....

12. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

I've been saving my entry all year for this!!!

13. K94

K94

Ahh I can't think of anything!! Had it not been pre-2000, I would have easily found something!

14. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

I've entered crap which I don't rate the chances of, so therefore based on my recent outcomes, it'll probably sail to victory.

15. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

I've been making an Xmas CD every year for the last 10 years, not all holiday songs but it always starts out with one or two, so I'm very torn!

16. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

I really thought I would have the same problem, mostly because the majority of the holiday songs I know from the 20th century were likely candidates for veto (DON'T BOTHER SENDING ANYTHING FROM "MERRY CHRISTMAS" BY MARIAH CAREY, FOLKS). However, after looking through some old-timey Christmas compilations on Spotify, I found a few gems.

Also, can we hold off on sending in entries please- I put the opening on Wednesday to give everyone a fair shake at entering at the same time and I would prefer to not find myself in the position of telling someone they can't submit something because someone already sent it in before the contest opened... (Although honestly I'd probably tell the early bird to resubmit!)

/taskmaster

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

'mmmm kissing men' was all I really took in there.

18. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

Sorry Wowsers, I didn't read the submission date, I'll resubmit mine on weds!

19. Re: PJ OPS Song Contest V (SUBMISSIONS OPEN WEDNESDAY NOV. 20)

Shame this is ineligible since it's from 2001!

I'm deciding between two other songs, both will flop equally as hard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.