PJ Retro 52: Tell us a memory (Results 8PM CET tonight!) | The Popjustice Forum

PJ Retro 52: Tell us a memory (Results 8PM CET tonight!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KamikazeHeart, Jan 11, 2020.

1. [​IMG]

This time around I want us all to think a bit harder about which song we choose; we're all going to sit down around the campfire and share a personal story or memory about that song.

It can be as trivial as "I discovered my song in the supermarket", or "My mom would always play me this song", or perhaps you'll want to share how it's a song which always helps you push a bit harder at the gym. You'll decide on the depth and length of what you want to share, but I hope you'll think through your submission and try to share something personal.

The song itself doesn't have to be a "story"; what I want to hear is what you and the song have been through together.

PM me your song, you can choose to send me your story/memory after you've passed veto. The stories will be revealed during the results, so please don't post it yourself here. (So you don't write something very long for a song that ends up being vetoed.)

Instructions
    You submit a song by sending me a PM. The veto panel then reviews your submission and decide if it passes. Then you listen to all of the other entries and put together a Eurovision-style ballot ranking the 10 songs you think most deserve recognition with point values as follows:

12 points (your favourite)
    10 points
    8 points
    7 points
    6 points
    5 points
    4 points
    3 points
    2 points
    1 point (tenth favourite)

You cannot vote for your own entry, so pray that someone else does. You don’t know who submitted the other songs and only those who have entered a song may submit a ballot. I’ll reveal the ballots one by one at the end, and whoever accrues the most points wins!

The veto process

Criteria that will absolutely result in your song being vetoed:

• Song was originally released after December 31, 1999
    • Song was already entered in a previous round of any of the PJ song contests
    Click here for the list of previous PJOPS entries
    Click here for the list of previous PJSC entries
    Click here for the list of previous PJ00s entries
    • Song peaked within the top 10 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song is a cover of or contains a prominent sample of a UK or US top 10 hit OR was covered/prominently sampled in a song that was a UK or US top 10 hit
    • Act has over 30 pages of discussion on the forum
    • Act was entered in the previous round - this includes any related solo or group acts to an act that was entered in the previous round

Criteria that will also be taken in consideration for veto purposes:

• Song is from an album that peaked in the top 10 on the UK or US albums chart
    • Song is from a Platinum- or Gold-certified album in the UK or US
    • Song peaked between #11 and #20 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song was a major hit in other big music markets (France, Germany, Japan, etc) and/or in multiple countries
    • Song is by an act who had major success in the UK or US
    • Act has been entered multiple times in this contest (e.g. Dalida)

Calendar:

Submission period: January 11 - January 19
    Voting period: January 20 - February 8 (countdown)
    Reveal: February 9

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  2. Well done, mister @KamikazeHeart ! You’ve put a spanner in the works!! Lol

I have a song that means the world to me I’d love to send for such a round - but I cannot bear it flopping... What to do indeed...

3. Interesting theme, but none of my potential entries fit and I can't recall any noteworthy memories associated with any songs that would be eligible and not completely flop, so I'm going to have to get creative here.

4. Well, PM me one of the songs, we'll discuss it some through PM's, and there, you have a memory! Hehehehe
    Or.... play one while watching your favourite Disney movie!

5. Just do what I do and submit your flop fave anyway ddd.

6. I just submitted, and just thinking about which one to send was a trip down memory lane....

7. I was about to say the exact same thing.
    Unfortunately, I've already used all the songs that have sort of important story attached to them in the previous rounds.

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Every time I see this thread title I think of this iconic @Filippa entry:

9. Ooh, interesting theme Kami! I like!

I've only had my list of possible entries the last few rounds, but I shall ditch it already and enter something with an older story behind it. Despite the already acknowledged risks of something fundamentally important to me absolute tanking!

10. Have you never heard your song in the frozen section before?

11. Jesus, I'm really gonna age myself in this one.

12. I still keep coming back to 80s French Male Power Ballads - Mon Dieu Aidez-Moi!!

13. The first submitters should all have gotten a confirmation!

Just as a clarification, I don't want you to feel too restricted or overwhelmed by the theme. If you can't think of anything in particular, maybe just share why you like the song or if you enjoy listening to it in any particular situations?

14. We already have a couple of vetos unfortunately. The veto panel is hard at work, so I haven't sent out a confirmation PM just yet to everybody who's sent the last couple of days.

15. I am one of them! Goodbye my 12 from all the Australians, and @Filippa and @CorgiCorgiCorgi ! :(

16. I reckon my submission is also going to get vetoed. This will be my first ddd.

I've got my back-up ready though!

17. I’m back and headed for last place, I bet.

berserkboi, soratami and Maki like this.
  18. @ohnoitisnathan is going mainstream on us??? ICouldNotBelieveIt.gif :)
    wait til you see my backup dddddd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.