PJ Retro 53: All That Glitters Is Gold, presented by Jeffo | The Popjustice Forum

PJ Retro 53: All That Glitters Is Gold, presented by Jeffo

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Jeffo, Feb 18, 2020.

1. INT. PJ RETRO OFFICES -- MORNING

Just your average, everyday hot pink hellhole where the memories of pop stars past go to retire. Various people cycle in and out. KAMIKAZEHEART, fresh off their recent hosting gig, is busy installing a lifesize cutout of Chris Evans on the ceiling directly above the chaise lounge. LONDONRAIN is sitting at their desk. JEFFO walks in and sits down at their desk facing LONDONRAIN. The air is thick with tension, but that's typical for a Tuesday morning.

JEFFO
    [​IMG]

LONDONRAIN
    [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

Oh, hello! I hope all this gold isn’t blinding you. It’s so hard being a triple crown winner but someone’s gotta do it, right @londonrain?

Anyway, now that I’ve reminded you that I’ve achieved triple crown status (don’t worry, more reminders will come later), let’s continue our journey through the flop pop from yesteryear and get this round going! Because I’m tired of thinking about potential themes, I’ve opted to make this round themeless. That’s right, send in any old slop you’d like, as long as it fits within the normal veto criteria.

Need a refresher on how this all works? Click the spoiler below.

How this all works
    So here’s the deal: You submit a song, the veto panel reviews your submission, and you light your prayer candles that it passes. Then you listen to all of the other entries and put together a Eurovision-style ballot ranking the 10 songs you think most deserve recognition with point values as follows:

12 points (your favorite song goes here)
    10 points
    8 points
    7 points
    6 points
    5 points
    4 points
    3 points
    2 points
    1 point (your least favorite song of your top 10 goes here)​

You cannot vote for your own entry, you don’t know who submitted the other songs, and only those who have entered a song may submit a ballot. I’ll reveal the ballots one by one at the end, and whoever accrues the most points wins the round, the envy of their peers, and a promotional deal with Tesco. Simple as that.

Criteria that will absolutely result in a veto
    • Song was originally released after December 31, 1999
    • Song was already entered in a previous round of any of the PJ song contests
    • Song peaked within the top 10 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song is a cover of or contains a prominent sample of a UK or US top 10 hit OR was covered/prominently sampled in a song that was a UK or US top 10 hit
    • Act has over 30 pages of discussion on the forum
    • Act was entered in the previous round
    • This includes any related solo or group acts to an act that was entered in the previous round (ex. Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, in an alternate universe where either of them could actually pass the veto criteria)
    Criteria that will also be taken in consideration for veto purposes
    • Song is from an album that peaked in the top 10 on the UK or US albums chart
    • Song is from a Platinum- or Gold-certified album in the UK or US
    • Song peaked between #11 and #20 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song was a major hit in other big music markets (France, Germany, Japan, etc) and/or in multiple countries
    • Song is by an act who had major success in the UK or US
    • Act has been entered multiple times in this contest​
    (This was totally copied/pasted from the last time I hosted.)

Riveting stuff.

You have until Friday, February 28 at 11:59 pm UK time to submit your song to me via PM. Get going already!

citoig, Lila, Robsolete and 15 others like this.

3. [​IMG]
    1. Bonnie Pointer - The Beast in Me // Jeffo = 135
    2. Angie Gold - Eat You Up // citoig = 131
    3. Pernilla Wahlgren - Running for Cover // KamikazeHeart = 111
    4. Billie Myers - Tell Me // WoW73 = 106
    5. Margo Guryan - Why Do I Cry // Lila = 90
    6. Cherry Laine - Catch the Cat // Disco Blister = 84
    7. Sam Phillips - Where the Colors Don't Go // pop3blow2 = 75
    8. Arabesque - Ecstasy // nnnumb = 72
    9. Apollonia - Help Wanted // tylerc904 = 67
    10. Euphoria - Love You Right // livefrommelbs = 66
    11. Soulsister - The Way to Your Heart // DominoDancing = 64
    12. Comateens - Resist Her // rawkey = 56
    13. Bif Naked - Spaceman [Boomtang Boys Remix] // Robsolete = 54
    13. Tin Tin Out feat. Shelley Nelson - Sometimes // Doodvid = 54
    15. C.C. Catch - Cause You Are Young // saviodxl = 49
    16. Suchitra - Dole Dole // londonrain = 48
    17. Melody - Y'a Pas Que Les Grands Qui Revent // berserkboi = 46
    18. Tracie Spencer - Save Your Love // invertedbutterfly = 44
    19. Izabela Trojanowska - Tyle samo prawd ile kłamstw // Phonetics Boy = 42
    19. Emilia - Twist of Fate // soratami = 42
    21. Mr. Zivago - Tell By Your Eyes // Hudweiser = 39
    22. Rozlyne Clarke - Eddy Steady Go // WowWowWowWow = 36
    23. Danuta - Touch My Heart // Maki = 34
    24. Marla Glen - The Cost of Freedom // Filippa = 31
    25. Flame Fortune - Sex Symbol // ohnoitisnathan = 30
    26. Red 5 - Lift Me Up // iheartpoptarts = 29
    27. Concrete Blonde - Still in Hollywood // Cotton Park = 22
    28. Voice of the Beehive - Shine Away // unnameable = 15
    29. Peter Wilson - Into the Night // Untouchable Ace = 10

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  4. Nothing quite like that late night drop, huh? Make sure to leave me with a full inbox to wake up to in the morning xx

Lila, WowWowWowWow, pop3blow2 and 9 others like this.
  5. This is however perfect timing for the Australians as we get to submit first and not have our entries potentially stolen (except from each other)! Dddd

The person I am baiting this round had best participate! :D

6. @Jeffo's inbox is going to be full of PMs from very busy Australians who are definitely hard at work and not at all trawling PJ forums on the company dime.

Sweet dreams, Northern Hemisphereans!

7. Europe is awake darling!

8. Very awake and late for work but busy searching for suitable songs before some Australians take them.

9. Go back to bed everyone!

10. I'm here!
    Now, shall I submit that potential winner that I stumbled upon a few weeks ago...

11. Let me try something.

12. Thanks to everyone who has already submitted a song. I'll get to acknowledging them tonight.

13. That feeling when you have several potential entries but don't think any of them will do well.

14. Sorry, I'm going to have to pass this round too. I'm out of the country March 5th to March 16th and I don't know how that would line up with a potential voting period/deadline and don't want to chance it.

15. Ok, folks - I've just submitted something. A typical WoW73 entry? Maybe....

16. For what it's worth, I'm eyeing a typical three-week voting period, with the likely voting deadline being around March 20 and the reveals being that weekend.

Filippa, WowWowWowWow, Maki and 2 others like this.
  17. I've come to flop, girls and ghouls.

[​IMG]

Filippa, KamikazeHeart, Lila and 8 others like this.
  18. Just sitting at my desk singing Smash Mouth in my head all day...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.