PJ Retro 65: "Unique Song Title" Edition [RESULTS!!] | The Popjustice Forum

PJ Retro 65: "Unique Song Title" Edition [RESULTS!!]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Derek, May 5, 2021.

1. [​IMG]

Welcome to PJ Retro 65!

Hopefully you're up for a bit of a challenge -- This round's theme is unique song titles! This means that, in order for a song to be eligible, there must not be any other officially released song with the same title.

Here are some caveats:

- It is ok for there to be a cover version(s) of the song; there just can't be a completely different song with the same title.

- You can't satisfy the unique title requirement via something like "(_____ Remix)" or "(Radio Edit)." Only the main part of the title counts. However, in the case of actual parenthetical song titles, I will allow the entire title to be considered.

- Song titles that are otherwise identical except for differences in spelling or punctuation still count as the same title. Other small differences, though, such as a title beginning with "The" vs. not, or a word ending in "-ing" vs. "-in'", will be considered different from each other.

- If a song appears to be the only song with its title in its language, but there is another song with an equivalent title in another language, that still counts as a unique title.

- A non-instrumental song will be considered to have a unique title if the only other song(s) with the same title is an instrumental.

So, how exactly can one determine if a song title is unique? I'm not sure there's a foolproof way to do so, but here are the top methods I've come up with:
    - Try typing the title into Spotify and seeing if multiple songs with the same title come up
    - Do some creative googling -- For example, to check if the title of last round's winner is unique, you could try something like: lyrics "coming out of hiding" -pamala

I will plan to check everyone's submissions, but please also check yourself before submitting that you don't find any other songs with the same title!

The usual rules:

Submit HERE by Friday, May 14

Filippa, Ezz, iheartpoptarts and 9 others like this.
  2. RESERVED

1. Annica - I Can't Deny A Broken Heart // WoW73 = 128
    2. Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar // Phonetics Girl = 102
    3. Army of Lovers - La Plage de Saint Tropez // Hudweiser = 100
    4. Click - Duri Duri (Baila Baila) // Disco Blister = 93
    5. Slowdive - When The Sun Hits // Hurricane Drunk = 89
    6. Safire - Boy, I've Been Told // Jeffo = 86
    7. William Orbit - Water from a Vine Leaf // Ezz = 84
    8. Les Models - Yes With My Body // Derek = 79
    9. Susanna Hoffs - Wishing On Telstar // pop3blow2 = 78
    10. Marcia Hines - Your Love Still Brings Me To My Knees // Doodvid = 78
    11. Toni Pearen - Walkaway Lover // livefrommelbs = 69
    12. The Dandy Warhols - Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth // DominoDancing = 68
    13. Robin Gibb - Another Lonely Night In New York // Untouchable Ace = 64
    14. A.C. One - Sing a Song Now Now // DJHazey = 63
    15. Esthero - Country Livin' (The World I Know) // soratami = 60
    16. Lee Ann Womack - I’ll Think Of A Reason Later // Robsolete = 54
    17. Sensus - Sensus // Filippa = 46
    18. Doji Morita - The Girl of Celluloid // Maki = 46
    19. The Other Two - Tasty Fish // ohnoitisnathan = 43
    20. Cocteau Twins - Squeeze-Wax // Cotton Park = 34
    21. The Gyrlz - Jam Jam (If You Can) // iheartpoptarts = 33
    22. Yumi Matsuzawa - You Get To Burning // Ana Raquel = 29
    23. Jenny Burton - Love Me Mechanically // WowWowWowWow = 29
    24. The Judys - Guyana Punch // chanex = 26
    25. Misty Oldland - A Fair Affair (Je T'Aime) // invertedbutterfly = 26
    26. Maki Kamiya - Virtual Star Embryology // Berserkboi = 24
    27. Seiko Matsuda - Rock'n Rouge // TéléDex = 23
    28. The Jim Carroll Band - People Who Died // unnameable = 14
    29. Asha Puthli - The Devil Is Loose // klow = 14

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  3. A round of applause for my Retro 64 submission, which inadvertently fit this theme! Ddd

Filippa, Cotton Park, WoW73 and 4 others like this.
  4. So did mine actually dd

Filippa, Cotton Park, WoW73 and 4 others like this.
  5. Woohoo for Team Creative French! We should have no issue with this theme! Ddd

6. Submitted in fear that the participant list will greatly affect the performance of the song I sent.

7. Another way you can check (I just used this method) is to enter the song title into the search box at https://australian-charts.com/ , and see what comes up. Yes, there are things missing from it, but it gives a pretty good idea, I think.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  8. Ok, submitted a recent discovery! Fingers crossed!

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  9. I think these previous entries of mine have unique song titles:

10. With all the trash I listen to, this should be easy but I'll have to see if that's actually the case.

11. ...obscure indie noise destined for position 25 coming up...

12. Shame St Etienne will never be eligible - 90% of their songs must have unique song titles

Filippa, berserkboi, Doodvid and 3 others like this.
  13. I wonder if there are any one-word unique song titles (that are real words, I mean).

14. Last night I did a quick check on YouTube of some songs from my potentials list and actually wound up with six songs that could potentially fit this theme.

15. My shortlist of song choices for this song are, ummm, very sonically diverse for one another. I'm sure I'll pick the right one that leads to a medal here! (yeahhhh, right.)

17. Dammit I voted for this theme only to realize the song I had in mind wasn’t as unique as I thought when I checked Spotify...back to the drawing board!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.