PJ Retro 67: The ABBA Tribute Edition - Plans changed: Reveals are done. Winner crowned | The Popjustice Forum

PJ Retro 67: The ABBA Tribute Edition - Plans changed: Reveals are done. Winner crowned

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by WoW73, Jul 6, 2021.

?

What should the theme for the next round be?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2021.
  1. Singles Only

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. EuroChart

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Top of the Flops

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. [​IMG]
    Welcome to PJ Retro 67!

After a couple of themed rounds (@Island!), this round will be without a theme - so you can send anything you wish, as long as below rules are taken into account:

You submit a song to me through a PM before the deadline (see the next post for the timeline), where you state:
    - artist
    - title
    - year it was released, with a link to the song (ideally, a YouTube link and Spotify link)

The veto panel then reviews your submission, and you’ll hear back from me if you’ve successfully passed. Once the song list is revealed, you listen to all of the other entries and put together a Eurovision-style ballot ranking the 10 songs you think most deserve recognition with point values as follows:

12 points (your favorite song goes here)
    10 points
    8 points
    7 points
    6 points
    5 points
    4 points
    3 points
    2 points
    1 point (your least favorite song of your top 10 goes here)

You cannot vote for your own entry, you don’t know who submitted the other songs, and only those who have entered a song may submit a ballot. Contestants who enter a song but don’t vote will have their points total halved as a consequence. I’ll reveal the ballots at the end, and whoever accrues the most points wins the round!

Criteria that will absolutely result in a veto
    • Song was originally released after December 31, 1999
    • Song was already entered in a previous round of any of the PJ song contests
    Click here for the list of previous PJOPS/PJ Retro entries
    Click here for the list of previous PJSC entries
    • Song peaked within the top 10 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song is a cover of or contains a prominent sample of a UK or US top 10 hit OR was covered/prominently sampled in a song that was a UK or US top 10 hit
    • Act has 25 pages or more of discussion on the forum
    • Act was entered in the previous round
    • This includes any related solo or group acts to an act that was entered in the previous round (ex. Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, in an alternate universe where either of them could actually pass the veto criteria)

Criteria that will also be taken in consideration for veto purposes
    • Song is from an album that peaked in the top 10 on the UK or US albums chart
    • Song is from a Platinum- or Gold-certified album in the UK or US
    • Song peaked between #11 and #20 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song was a major hit in other big music markets (France, Germany, Japan, etc) and/or in multiple countries
    • Act has 15-24 pages of discussion on the forum
    • Song is by an act who had major success in the UK or US
    • Act has been entered multiple times in this contest

This round WILL have a side-theme though!! It is absolutely voluntary to take part in the side-theme - but the more the merrier!

[​IMG]

The side-theme is all about ABBA and its members - so if you wish to participate, send me a favourite ABBA or ABBA related song with your contest entry, and they will be revealed with your ballot - so we'll have an absolutely stunning ABBA playlist, too!
    Anything goes - as long as it is ABBA-related, and from the 20th century:
    album cuts, A&A solo tracks, B&B produced tracks, covers versions....
    And: commentary about your ABBA song is of course also welcome!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. DATES!

Submit your entry by Wednesday July 14
    Voting will open a few days after that, and closes Sunday August 8
    Results: Wednesday August 11

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  3. Thank You For The Music!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Some of you are FAST: two entries already!!

5. Two of my best liked PJOPS / PJ Retro entries were ABBA-related:

Benny's son Peter Grönvall is a member of One More Time. This song surprisingly (at least to me) won.

Josefin Nilsson's song High Hopes and Heartaches was written by Benny and Björn and was produced by Benny. And it came second behind @Jeffo 's entry. These were the days when we two battled ...

Maybe I should keep up with this tradition!

I really love this theme, thanks @WoW73, what a wonderful idea!

6. Yeah, I was wondering how ABBA would've tied in with the regular round theme...
    I assumed that it was going to be related to the side theme, but still thought that the main theme would be summer or something.

Now that it's a themeless round, do I choose a basic 80's bop (which I have yet to find) or with another foreign language entry? Though a few weeks ago I had a massive revelation, so I guess I'll go with that one, not only because of nostalgia, but also because it's a damn amazing song.

7. Anyone feel free to send an actual 70s take like this and get my 12 on a heartbeat!

Still so in love with this Retro fantastic track <3

An ABBA theme means great pop tunes, and heartbreaking ballads right? Count me in!!

8. I've submitted my entry. It's a somewhat bold choice, but the 'safe' choices aren't exactly working for me, so why not? Ddd.

Filippa, Maki, WoW73 and 2 others like this.
  9. Looking back at my potential submissions list, there's one song that sounds quite ABBA-esque, but I'll save it for one of the future rounds.

10. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did you know that...

1. ....Agnetha was not part of the original line-up of ABBA (who were not called ABBA then, obviously)?
    The 'original' blonde one was called Inger, and was a friend of Frida. Below are two early performances by the group. After Inger got pregnant, she left, and Björn's wife was eager to take her place

Of course, this is a load of bollocks! It was actually Agnetha that was pregnant in 1973, and could not go abroad to do these performances! Inger briefly stood in for her, and was never heard of again.... But back in college, I fooled my friend and fellow ABBA fan with this story - she is still angry with me for it, I think...
    Maybe Frank Farian got the inspiration there?

2. ...Kylie and not ABBA was to feature on the soundtrack of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?
    https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/kylie-priscilla-soundtrack-never/

Imagine that iconic line from the movie being about Kylie instead of Agnetha....

3. ...in the 70's, in some Eastern European country (I believe it was Poland?), some people thought ABBA consisted of three women and one man? On a bootleg record, using a drawing instead of a photograph, poor Björn was drawn with boobs - maybe his long hair and (then) beardless face had them fooled?

4. ABBA is the first act to have had an album in the official UK album charts for over 1,000 weeks!!
    https://www.officialcharts.com/char...00-weeks-on-the-official-albums-chart__33502/

More on ABBA Gold later....

Ezz, chanex, Cotton Park and 13 others like this.
  11. Uno

Uno

I'm very tempted to submit some Latin freestyle song but am scared it'll be dragged for the vocals. There's literally no freestyle song with good vocals, hah.

12. You forgot something

berserkboi, DJHazey, Filippa and 2 others like this.
  13. Oh my god, I feel this. But to be fair, I entered a Safire song a couple of rounds ago and snuck into the top 10 despite a few interesting vocal moments so anything is possible.

14. Let's all pay attention to their best song that isn't The Winner Takes It All.

Post-divorce-misery-ABBA keeps on winning.

15. I'd say "the best one posted" because I love Ava to bits, but it's not, so I'd be lying.

16. My obvious side theme submission is obvious.

Filippa, Maki, WoW73 and 2 others like this.
  17. I suppose this is not the round to try and submit any ABBA solo projects to the main contest then?

Just asking for a friend who once submitted a song from the later versions of Chess.

Filippa, berserkboi, Maki and 4 others like this.
  18. Tell your friend to give it a try! Though A&A solo tracks are probably off limits...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.