PJ Retro 72 - The Soap Opera - Winner revealed. ROLL END CREDITS | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

PJ Retro 72 - The Soap Opera - Winner revealed. ROLL END CREDITS

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Doodvid, Dec 29, 2021.

1. INTERLUDE

Ann Charleston & Ian Smith (Madge & Harold)

[​IMG]

I believe this was Neighbours’ first foray into that old favourite ‘back from the dead’ soap staple storyline when Madge’s husband Harold was sadly washed out to sea in 1991, only to turn up 5 years later with memory loss. They of course reunited and went about their lives living in the same house as previously as if nothing had happened. (FUN FACT: my Dad was walking through town with headphones on at the height of the soap’s fame and couldn’t understand why people were pointing and waving at him, until he took them off to hear cries of “Oi Harold, where’s Madge?”)

I suppose this is music? Listen at your peril:

pop3blow2, Cotton Park, Ezz and 8 others like this.
  2. The things you learn on PJ.

3. That period in the 80s/early 90s where it seemed like Australia only had 27 actors who would run from soap to soap playing different characters...

Ezz, Doodvid, londonrain and 5 others like this.
  4. And now we’re all members of the Popjustice forum!

Ezz, Doodvid, berserkboi and 6 others like this.
  5. Ezz, berserkboi, londonrain and 3 others like this.
  6. I sympathise for the person who tried to enter The Shamen and expose us all to psychedelic thought and mysticism, and use Mr C's rapping in hyperspace to encourage us in cabbalistic ways, but it was moderately successful chartwise and hit while the Shamen were enjoying their popular phase.

Does the 21st century do esoteric dance music nearly as well?

7. This has to be one of the better PJRetro playlists!

Untouchable Ace, Ezz, Doodvid and 2 others like this.
  8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Not one of the songs in this round suddenly popping up as background music in a show I’m watching this evening…

9. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

There's a song on this list that's a bop but is really making me wish Auto-Tune had been invented in the 1980s.

[​IMG]

10. I'm going through the playlist right now, and the sequence of Nice & Nasty - Nights Over Egypt - No Doubt...

[​IMG]

11. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Nights Over Egypt was the one I heard as background music yesterday... in an episode of She's Gotta Have It.

12. Make sure to reveal which entry is this later on. I have one potential guess so far.

I'm more than halfway through and you really brought a good amount of 80s bops this time. Not like I wasn't expecting that, but at least you could've given my entry a chance ddd

13. Electra Heart <3

Obviously I haven't even gone to this school in years, but dang, I wish I had joined in for this round. Sophie B., Stacey Q, Brenda K. - a lineup! And of course I would've been represented by Miss Babs...

Cotton Park, Doodvid, Maki and 4 others like this.
  14. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Hahaha. I would absolutely have chosen Mrs Overall if, you know, Acorn Antiques had actually been a real soap opera.

15. Details!

16. Well, what a cliffhanger…

…which won’t be resolved yet (thanks, employment)

But with a quarter of the ballots in, let’s:

[​IMG]

First place is currently 2 points above the 2 songs sharing second place.
    It’s a very musically diverse top 10.
    No song has received multiple 12s.
    The actual singing soap stars featured this round currently have very mixed fortunes.
    2 songs are on 0 points still - 1 very surprising, the other…well.
    During the wedding ceremony of Gerry Woo and Tracy Spencer, Brenda K. Starr revealed she had an illicit affair with a member of 702, causing Stefan Dennis to take The Jones Girls hostage whilst the Byker Grooove! band attempted harmonising which caused a deadly avalanche to advance on the contestants…

17. Voted. Best round of Retro in recent memory. I still think I could pull in a 7th or 8th placement though. We will see.

londonrain, pop3blow2, Maki and 4 others like this.
  18. Also voted. Really good round.

Usually I dial in on numbers, but this was the initials round!

Sophie B.
    Brenda K.
    Stacey Q.

Got me thinking about Soap Opera show acronyms (my brain), & I'll be damned if there wasn't a section talking about them in the Soap Opera Digest Wikipedia page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_Opera_Digest#"Soap_speak"_acronyms

19. I loved this the most:

• Snakes in safes
    • Sharks stranding people on offshore islands
    • Tell-all novels that exposed dodgy secrets
    • Faked suicides
    • Totally different actors coming in as so-and-so-after-plastic-surgery only for the original actor to return as their no-longer-identical twin
    • All your faves from Neighbours, Prisoner and Home & Away in revolving door roles

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.