PJ Retro 82: Long & Short (We have a winner!) | The Popjustice Forum

PJ Retro 82: Long & Short (We have a winner!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Oct 17, 2022.

1. [​IMG]

Welcome to PJ Retro 82!
    Following my monumental first win, I finally have the opportunity (and balls) to host alone. Now, there were heaps of potential themes I had in mind, ranging from very restrictive to basically themeless, but I’ve finally settled on something.

Partly inspired by the recent discourse in Random Thoughts thread, we will be having a battle of long and short songs. Also, there will be two corresponding teams, one of which is going to win based on the final results. So it’s kinda marrying @berserkboi’s idea of having multiple themes in the same round and that Fast vs. Slow theme @livefrommelbs and I did in PJ00s. Therefore, this can be considered our battle of the extremes/celebrating diversity/size doesn’t matter/whatever you want to call it round.

The rules for the theme are simple:
    • If you choose to send a long song, its duration has to be more than 5 minutes.
    • If you choose to send a short song, its duration has to be less than 3 minutes.
    (note that remixes, radio edits, extended mixes etc. are obviously all allowed)

No picking doors, flipping coins nor a restricted ratio of short/long songs - it’s completely your choice as to which theme (and team) you’ll be doing.

The usual rules can be found here:
    You submit a song, the veto panel reviews your submission, and you’ll hear back if you’ve successfully passed. Once the song list is revealed, you listen to all of the other entries and put together a Eurovision-style ballot ranking the 10 songs you think most deserve recognition with point values as follows:

12 points (your favourite song goes here)
    10 points
    8 points
    7 points
    6 points
    5 points
    4 points
    3 points
    2 points
    1 point (your least favourite song of your top 10 goes here)

You cannot vote for your own entry, you don’t know who submitted the other songs, and only those who have entered a song may submit a ballot. Contestants who enter a song but don’t vote will have their points total halved as a consequence. I’ll reveal the ballots one by one at the end, and whoever accrues the most points wins the round, the envy of their peers, and an appearance at Bingo Bongo. Simple as that.

Criteria that will absolutely result in a veto

• Song was originally released after December 31, 1999
    • Song was already entered in a previous round of any of the PJ song contests
    Click here for the list of previous PJOPS/PJ Retro entries
    Click here for the list of previous PJSC entries
    • Song peaked within the top 10 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song is a cover of or contains a prominent sample of a UK or US top 10 hit OR was covered/prominently sampled in a song that was a UK or US top 10 hit
    • Act has 25 pages or more of discussion on the forum
    • Act was entered in the previous round
    • This includes any related solo or group acts to an act that was entered in the previous round (ex. Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, in an alternate universe where either of them could actually pass the veto criteria)

Criteria that will also be taken in consideration for veto purposes

• Song is from an album that peaked in the top 10 on the UK or US albums chart
    • Song is from a Platinum- or Gold-certified album in the UK or US
    • Song peaked between #11 and #20 on the UK or US singles chart
    • Song was a major hit in other big music markets (France, Germany, Japan, etc) and/or in multiple countries
    • Act has 15 - 24 pages of discussion on the forum
    • Song is by an act who had major success in the UK or US
    • Act has been entered multiple times in this contest

Please try to send all of these to me via PM:
    - Your submission (in Artist - Song format)
    - Link to submission on YouTube or similar
    - Preferred Spotify link (or a note that it's not on Spotify, or shouldn't be included in the Spotify playlist for whatever reason)

So bring your best quick lil' bops, brooding lengthy atmospheric tunes, extended club edition bangers, mellow short acoustic ballads and everything in between (well… almost everything) and let this round commence!

Dates:
    Submission deadline:
    October 24
    Voting period: October 25 to November 10
    Reveals: November 11 or 12

(all deadlines close at midnight, whichever time zone you are in)

2. Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  3. Reserved just in case. You can post now!
    Feel free to share your favourite retro short and long songs that fit this theme but otherwise aren’t PJ Retro eligible and/or your fave previous entries that would’ve been eligible here. I will be sprinkling some tidbits about the song duration history and stuff like that in the thread in the meantime, too.

A&E, Phonetics Girl, Attis and 4 others like this.
  4. This gif is exactly how I feel when finding the song I wanted to send comes up at 4.41 minutes ddd

Luckily I have plenty of other options that will fit here ddd

Untouchable Ace, soratami and Maki like this.
  5. Short songs you say?

6. That feeling when you have songs you can send, and consider 10/10 but are worried they won’t appeal to anyone in extended versions or radio edit versions...

7. I am cursing my host - the best remix in existence is 4 minutes 52 seconds....

8. A&E

A&E

Since my return I've ended up in 4th and 3rd place...
    PJOPS IV, an under 3 minutes round, was my highest Retro placement at 2nd...

So of course it's time for me to sabotage myself x

9. Should've kept your recent winner for this round eh x

10. Well, it won so I am okay with this ddd

Vanelle and her banger continuing to influence though is BerserkJustice <3333

11. The number of songs on my list that are 4:59 on Spotify...

12. Realized the one I was about to send last time (before I found something about it that disqualified it from my given category) was a perfect fit so submitted! Curious to see what it does.

EDIT: Oops I changed it

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  13. I have submitted a song I love but will probably come 15th-20th.

14. Allow me to present you all with @klow's favourite long Retro Song!

<333

15. To my surprise, the ratio of long and short songs that have been submitted is very evenly distributed - it should be really interesting to hear what they sound like.

A&E, Isobel, Up N Down and 4 others like this.
  16. After going through my potentials list, I have exactly two songs that fit this theme so... I guess that makes the decision easy nn

17. My shortest PJ Retro entry so far is this wonder by a French icon, not even 2 and a half minutes long:

On the other hand, my longest one is a gorgeous ballad sent to a male vocals only round, clocking in at over 7 minutes:

18. My shortest entry (thus far?):

My longest entry (thus far?):

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.