PJ RETRO 94: The results are in!

I think this might actually be my lowest point total in any song contest ever. I swear the voters around here only like Hindi songs if somebody else submits them ddd.

Maybe people were a bit tired of Alisha since I entered her just two rounds ago. Knowing the absolute banger that is Lover Girl somehow only made #19, I had a feeling the undoubtedly less PJ-friendly De De wouldn't fare very well ff (definitely didn't deserve last place though).

he/him
I really don't need a low blow to ANY of my previous entrants' songs, not when PJ Retro is my least favourite place to enter and flop with my favourite songs, like I just have, right now, and I feel like I have done all fecking year! But I'd still enter what I'll like. I love both electronic and acoustic. But let me just say, the audacity of saying this and only giving a HM to it. Yeah, not accepting the comment at all.

The rest of you, thanks for your votes.

Last edited:

londonrain

Staff member
Maybe people were a bit tired of Alisha since I entered her just two rounds ago. Knowing the absolute banger that is Lover Girl somehow only made #19, I had a feeling the undoubtedly less PJ-friendly De De wouldn't fare very well ff (definitely didn't deserve last place though).
I mean… there’s definitely a track record, though, so I don’t think it’s about who the artist is. Alisha has been entered three times before and never got below 40 points each time and yet when I enter her she bombs with a song that is still very much a bop. (Honestly the only reason I’d never entered Alisha before was because I was sure she would flop no matter what I sent - otherwise I’d have sent Made in India and Lover Girl myself a very long time ago.)

My track record in this contest with songs of Indian origin is generally pretty awful, with only one song making the top 20 and quite a lot of them ending up in last place or close to it:

Biddu feat. Nazia Hassan - Boom Boom: #40 of 40 songs (with a mere 7 points, all from a single voter!)
Suneeta Rao - Kesariya: #37 of 37
Shankar Mahadevan - Breathless: #21 of 50
Suchitra - Dole Dole: #16 of 29 (this actually got fewer points than Breathless but it was a smaller round)
Lucky Ali - O Sanam: #22 of 32
Shweta Shetty - Johnny Joker: #36 of 37
Alisha Chinai - De De: #27 of 27 (and let’s be honest, 5 points is pretty dire, but obviously I’m still grateful for the people who did vote for it!)

Not a complete disaster but weirdly Suchitra is the only female vocalist I’ve sent who HASN’T ended up in the bottom two ddd (and every single song I’ve sent with a female vocal has been some form of uptempo banger).

It’s not the end of the world but it does sting a bit because I grew up with all these songs so they have a bit more emotional connection for me than most.

Last edited:
Woo a silver medal for Sophie! The boppy mix of different things worked. I actually expected quite a few of those who blanked the song to vote for it but some surprise points more than made up for that. This is actually my first PJ Retro silver this year which now means I got all three medals in the same year. The accolades just keep on coming, amazing. Thanks again to all voters!

The winner really couldn't have been more perfect (unless Sophie won hehe), I love when my 12 rightfully snatches a convincing win. Dot Allison's previous entry barely did anything for me yet did very well in the contest so this one just had to be a smash. Now I'll have to put that album on 'to listen' list actually.

1 point - Début De Soirée - Chance (PWL Remix)
~ That intro is great and sounded so promising but the Still perfectly enough for this final point.
Looks like I didn't properly finish the comment there but basically the song didn't deliver as much as I wanted it to based on that intro yet it rightfully earned that point.

Underrated corner: Alisha (last place was too harsh indeed), La Bouche, Billie Way Martin and Линда.
Pleasantly surprised to see Donna Hightower in the top 5, and that most of my faves made it there too.

Thank you for fabulous hosting, @WowWowWowWow!
I already have a song in mind so looking forward to the next round!

giphy.gif

Round 95 is open.

I've maintained a habit of almost exclusively sending artists who've not been sent before – but I was hankering for a "returning acts" theme to give myself an excuse not to! I've had 'Music That You Can Dance To' pencilled in as my submission for this hypothetical future round since the moment I joined Retro. Sparks, of course, are pop legends who can't be sent enough (not least because they have a billion songs) and this is the highlight of their much-derided 1980s hi-NRG flop era for me – and if anywhere can appreciate a 1980s hi-NRG flop era, it's PJ Retro.

A second consecutive 13th place is a fine showing, but wild that I did proportionally worse with this than I did with Current 93 (13/27 instead of 13/31). I wonder what their past winner 'Scheherazade' had that all the other Sparks entries have lacked. An uncharacteristic seriousness, I suppose? Not big on glib and arch around here? Not ones for a raised eyebrow?

Anyway, thank you to @undisco_me and @KamikazeHeart for the 12s – you're both hotter than my momma will ever be. (That's a lyric in the song if you've forgotten. I didn't just go insane halfway through the sentence.)