PJ Retro 95: The Lost Round (Reveals Finished)

PJRetro95-Title.png

Welcome!
This round I'll be sharing with you one of my favorite internet rabbit holes...Lost Media!
So basically I'll be posting during the voting period about my favorite bits of lost media that I find interesting and you get to submit any song released before 01/01/2000 you please! a.k.a. there's no theme (except for the theme).

Also if you'd like to share any lost media you find fascinating, please do! If you are unsure of what lost media is, it's basically any form of media that has gone missing or is unavailable to the general public.

Onto the details...
You submit a song, the veto panel reviews your submission, and you’ll hear back if you’ve successfully passed. Once the song list is revealed, you listen to all of the other entries and put together a Eurovision-style ballot ranking the 10 songs you think most deserve recognition with point values as follows:

12 points (your favourite song goes here)
10 points
8 points
7 points
6 points
5 points
4 points
3 points
2 points
1 point (your least favourite song of your top 10 goes here)

You cannot vote for your own entry, you don’t know who submitted the other songs, and only those who have entered a song may submit a ballot. Contestants who enter a song but don’t vote will have their points total halved as a consequence.

Criteria that will absolutely result in a veto

• Song was originally released after December 31, 1999
• Song was already entered in a previous round of any of the PJ song contests
Click here for the list of previous PJOPS/PJ Retro entries
Click here for the list of previous PJSC entries
• Song peaked within the top 10 on the UK or US singles chart
• Song is a cover of or contains a prominent sample of a UK or US top 10 hit OR was covered/prominently sampled in a song that was a UK or US top 10 hit
• Song (or cover of a song) has competed in the Eurovision Song Contest
• Act has 25 pages or more of discussion on the forum
• Act was entered in the previous round
• This includes any related solo or group acts to an act that was entered in the previous round (ex. Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, in an alternate universe where either of them could actually pass the veto criteria)

Criteria that will also be taken in consideration for veto purposes

• Song is from an album that peaked in the top 10 on the UK or US albums chart
• Song is from a Platinum- or Gold-certified album in the UK or US
• Song peaked between #11 and #20 on the UK or US singles chart
• Song was a major hit in other big music markets (France, Germany, Japan, etc) and/or in multiple countries
• Act has 15 - 24 pages of discussion on the forum
• Song is by an act who had major success in the UK or US
• Act has been entered multiple times in this contest

Dates you need to remember...
Submission Deadline: December 12th
Voting Deadline: TBA
(I need to check the other contest deadlines etc.)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I guess it makes sense to revive this thread dedicated to 'lost' songs with this side theme.

The most recent case of a solved one happened just the other day and was long believed to be a mid/late 90s song by a British or Irish band (because of resemblances to The Cranberries), turned out to be a song by a very obscure Canadian artist from 2004/5:

(the song is rather lovely, pretty sure our host and a few others would enjoy it)

The story of how it got attention and became found is so impressive.

In 2007, a Watzatsong, a user by the name of alexxx1984 uploads two snippets combined together of "How Long Will It Take?". The source of the snippets was a bootleg DVD of "Jacquou le Croquant". According to Alex. the two snippets play on a loop on the menu of the DVD.

The person who found the song: "I was looking into ARS Studio who may have been the creators of the Multuparad DVDs. I've found them a couple days ago. One of them had a portfolio or job application page, listing DVD menus as one of his skills.
One of the DVD menus was for a movie called "Moving Malcolm", which had another obscure song in the credits, but its name and its producers were listed in the credits, which is what led me to https://www.socan.com/, where I started googling every artist who had a copyrighted song called "How Long", until on the sixth page I found Paula Toledo, which led me to this reddit post, which had a link to this podcast with the full song."

The sleuthing abilities! It appears the song has never been officially released, even though Paula has an entire album from 2006.

rabbit-hole-i-1200x686.jpg

I'm back from the lost media rabbit hole I've been down to let you know that submissions are closed and we're waiting for a back up submission currently so the list will probably be out tomorrow, which is fine because I'm feeling graphically inspired right now.​

I swear @If You Go brought some good luck charm with this thread and theme because December 2023 proved to be by far one of the most productive months for the Lostwave community - a number of lost and unidentified songs have been found. I thought that Paula Toledo song was the most impressive one but turns out the most popular example is "Fond My Mind" (a.k.a. 'The Second Most Mysterious Song', which has been recorded on a Brazilian radio station in 1993, has been searched for since 2013, and finally discovered yesterday.

The search for this song goes way back, when the OP gsipkoi posted a 30 second clip of it to WatZatSong in 2013. Over half a decade later, when many others became interested in the song, they provided a link to (what many people believed to be) the full song, but even with that, people still couldn’t find the name of the song. So it was sent to many Brazilian musicians and people who know about Latin freestyle, and it eventually found Edde Edman, a producer from Brazil. He claimed that the song was his and provided the full lyrics, including an intro that wasn’t discovered until now. A different musician (William Paiva), who had a full recording of the original song in its highest quality, uploaded it to YouTube, putting this mystery to rest.

Quite a PJ Retro-friendly tune actually.