PJ Retro 95: The Lost Round (Reveals Finished)

26/29

@Filler

I hope everyone enjoyed Café Tacvba.

~ * 12 POINTS - STRENGTH TO STRENGTH (HUE AND CRY) * ~
10 - All Your Time (Blue Peter)
8 - I'd Give My Life for You (Lea Salonga)
7 - Nie Kochani (Justyna Steczkowska)
6 - Dreamscape (The Time Frequency)
5 - Spring Is Coming with a Strawberry in the Mouth (Roger Doyle)
4 - Pirate Ships (Judy Collins)
3 - My Home Town (Þú & Ég)
2 - Sunshine Like You (Waterlillies)
1 - Television (Baxter)

I'd say "poor @Filler", but they just won PJ00s+ by a landslide.

Last edited:
(I was feeling festive and decided to rate each song for the first time ever)

Welcome to the club

074a4e9a4cb213c18559a8eabb4ce041.gif

27/29

@TéléDex

12 Judy Collins - Pirate Ships: 10
10 Kim Wan Sun - The Dance In The Rhythm: 9.8
8 Al Bano & Romina Power - Felicità: 9.7
7 9.9 - All Of Me For All Of You: 9.7
6 Grace - Down To Earth: 9.6
5 Jeane Manson - Avant de nous dire adieu: 9.6
4 Hue and Cry - Strength to Strength: 9.6
3 Lisa Fischer - Save Me: 9.5
2 Roger Doyle - Spring Is Coming With a Strawberry in the Mouth: 9.5
1 Reina - Anything For Love: 9.5

Waterlillies - Sunshine Like You: 9.5
Blue Peter - All Your Time: 9.5
Wony - Découvre-Moi: 9.4
Þú & Ég - My Home Town: 9.4
Baxter - Television: 9.4
Robert - Louis: 9.4
Blackgirl - 90s Girl: 9.3
Artificial Joy Club - Sick and Beautiful: 9.3
Collette - Who Do You Think You Are?: 9.2
Nikita Warren - I Need You: 9.2
Café Tacvba - El aparato: 9.2
S-Connectoin ft. Annabelle - Summerlove: 9.2
The Free Design - Kites Are Fun: 9.2
Laban - Ca-me-Camera: 9.2
Justyna Steczkowska - Nie kochani: 9.2
Holly Palmer - Different Languages: 9.2
The Time Frequency - Dreamscape'94: 9.1
Hubert Kah - Wenn der Mond die Sonne berührt: 9.1

I just got called for dinner so I gotta wrap this up fast!

28/29

@Jeffo

12 POINTS: Hubert Kah - Wenn der Mond die Sonne berührt
10 POINTS: Hue and Cry - Strength to Strength
8 POINTS: Blue Peter - All Your Time
7 POINTS: The Free Design - Kites Are Fun
6 POINTS: Lea Salonga - I'd Give My Life for You
5 POINTS: Wony - Découvre-Moi
4 POINTS: Blackgirl - 90s Girl
3 POINTS: Collette - Who Do You Think You Are?
2 POINTS: Kim Wan Sun - The Dance In The Rhythm
1 POINT: Þú & Ég - My Home Town

29/29

@ohnoitisnathan

12. Hubert Kah 92
10. Waterlilies 87
8. Grace 84
7. Nikita Warren 81
6. The Time Frequency 80
5. The Free Design 80
4. Artificial Joy Club 77
3. Justyna Steczkowska 77
2. S-Connection 76
1. Roger Doyle 76

Yes, you're reading it right, German Male vocals just won PJ Retro! Also woohoo silver!!!

He/Him
Congrats to my voters for displaying impeccable taste despite nay-sayers!!! @DominoDancing bopping through to a 12, @Lego for the 10 on his Favourite Round ever, @TéléDex (10) who was the main voter I was aiming to please as a thanks for all the great Asian Pop he's given us over the years, @Attis @Tiger Suit @Jeffo @Maki for the support towards the Power Bop!! <333

Amazingly done @If You Go!! <333

Honestly thrilled that the top 5 all got votes from me, I don't think that's every happened! Congrats @A&E and wonderful hosting @If You Go!
Thank you to everyone who voted for 'Nie kochani', Justyna's track record with this contest hasn't exactly been stellar, so I will happily take 13th. This is the second song pulled from her debut album, which is considered one of the best to be released by a Polish artist, ever - so I strongly recommend anyone who voted for this (Or 'Grawitacja' back when I first started competing in Retro).

The Final Leaderboard
1. Hubert Kah - Wenn der mond die Sonne berührt // A&E =131
2. Waterlillies - Sunshine Like You // If You Go =112
3. Judy Collins - Pirate Ships // DominoDancing =107
4. Wony - Découvre-Moi // Maki =79
5. Baxter - Television // WowWowWowWow (3x12) =77
6. 9.9 - All Of Me For All Of You // Jeffo (2x12) =77
7. Þú & Ég - My Home Town // KamikazeHeart (2x12) =70
8. The Free Design - Kites Are Fun // Lego (1x12) =70
9. S-Connection ft. Annabelle - Summerlove // Attis =69
10. Grace - Down To Earth // Hudvar =68
11. Roger Doyle - Spring Is Coming With a Strawberry in the Mouth // soratami =67
12. Hue and Cry - Strength to Strength // unnameable =66
13. Justyna Steczkowska - Nie kochani // Tiger Suit =63
14. The Time Frequency - Dreamscape'94 // undisco_me =60
15. Blackgirl - 90s Girl // invertedbutterfly =57
16. Nikita Warran - I Need You // Dynamo =54
17. Jeane Manson - Avant de nous dire adieu // Disco Blisters =51
18. Lisa Fischer - Save Me // cdd216 =50
19. Blue Peter - All Your Time // pop3blow2 (2x10) =48
20. Robert - Louis // Up N Down (1x10) =48
21. Kim Wan Sun - The Dance In The Rhythm // berserkboi =47
22. Lea Salonga - I'd Give My Life For You // TéléDex =44
23. Al Bano & Romina Power - Felicitá // WoW73 =41
24. Holly Palmer - Different Languages // CatastropheBoy (2x7) =29
25. Collette - Who Do You Think You Are? // ohnoitisnathan (0x7) =29
26. Artificial Joy Club - Sick and Beautiful // iheartpoptarts =24
27. Laban - Ca-me-Camera // Untouchable Ace =22
28. Reina - Anything For Love // klow =19
29. Café Tacvba - El aparato // Filler =3

A&E

they&she
Ffff what did just happen? Let me say thank you for my first Retro win! In such a quality round too! I think I would like to try my hand at hosting the next round but I'd definitely need a co-host to help out a bit. I've got a packed, busy day tomorrow so probably won't be able to check the forum (that's why I'm writing all this well past midnight) but after that I should be available.

I first listened to Hubert Kah a few years ago when I found out the single Follow the Midnight Sun by previous PJ Retro winner Maggie Reilly was actually a cover of their song Midnight Sun (never a single, but clearly a favourite as it's included on their best-of). A little more digging and it turned out Hubert Kemmler, the main guy behind the band, co-wrote many Sandra singles and was the male voice on Maria Magdalena and In the Heat of the Night.

Wenn der Mond... does have an English version titled The Picture but the lyrics are a bit clunky, so I stuck with the more atmospheric original. I don't listen to music in German that often but the sound of "schließ die Augen, denk an mich / telepathisch such' ich dich" is so pleasing to my ears (as is its parent album in general).

Thanks in particular to:
12: @Untouchable Ace @Jeffo @ohnoitisnathan
10: @Disco Blister @invertedbutterfly @berserkboi
8: @Dynamo @undisco_me @WoW73
7: @Up N Down @DominoDancing
6: @If You Go
5: @cdd216
4: @Attis @Tiger Suit
3: @WowWowWowWow @Lego
2: @Maki
for all the points.

Additional thanks to @If You Go for lovely and smooth hosting as usual (and for sending Waterlillies which might've been my favourite contest discovery of 2023) x

Honestly thrilled that the top 5 all got votes from me, I don't think that's every happened! Congrats @A&E and wonderful hosting @If You Go!
Thank you to everyone who voted for 'Nie kochani', Justyna's track record with this contest hasn't exactly been stellar, so I will happily take 13th. This is the second song pulled from her debut album, which is considered one of the best to be released by a Polish artist, ever - so I strongly recommend anyone who voted for this (Or 'Grawitacja' back when I first started competing in Retro).
Dziewczyna szamana is a stone cold classic, yes, but also the follow up Naga gets unfairly overlooked these days. Both were co-written and produced under a pseudonym by Polish music legend Grzegorz Ciechowski who I submitted to this contest some 82 rounds ago (under yet another alias Obywatel G.C.).

Also off-topic:

So, I have a list full of PJRetro potentials, but my song this round was randomly discovered while watching a Hallmark Hanukah movie this holiday season. (It was called Round & Round & was very charming!)
The one starring Vic Michaelis? I love them on Dropout shows and I was wondering whether that movie would actually be worth watching. Might give it a try then!

People, I am absolutely chuffed that I got top 3 with Pirate Ships. It's such a beautiful song, and I am happy so many of you liked it as well. Special shoutout to the 12-givers @KamikazeHeart, @If You Go and @TéléDex, but of course also big thanks to everyone else: @Disco Blister, @klow, @cdd216, @unnameable, @Tiger Suit, @pop3blow2, @Lego, @Up N Down, @A&E and @Maki!

Speaking of @A&E, wow, what a well deserving song to win this, especially considering - as has been pointed out more than once - it's not the most obvious selection either! Congratulations!

And last but not least, merci @If You Go for making this such a fun round, I hope we can keep it up for 2024!

Thank you finally @A&E I loved your song so much. One of the best in PJRetro history. Well done on winning.
Thank you @If You Go.

Lately it's just taking so long to get around to thanking people for liking my song in a song contest, especially if I don't Witness the reveals live.
But also I was trying to reply to @TéléDex last round about his entry last round.
I didn't give you points then, but an honourable mention is good from me.
But my commentary doesn't mean you have to listen to me, they're just thoughts.
The busyness of Christmas plus my procrastination to commit to the following round of PJRetro lead to my disastrous journey through this round.

So thank you for liking Laban.

And to the voters of my German entry last round.

We can have more German now, I don't mind.