PJ Retro 95: The Lost Round (Reveals Finished)

The one starring Vic Michaelis? I love them on Dropout shows and I was wondering whether that movie would actually be worth watching. Might give it a try then!
Yes! They are sooooo fantastic! It was so gloriously random for them to star in a Hallmark movie, but as an unashamed Hallmark nerd I have to admit that the channel upped their game this holiday season. Some really quirky gems & Round and Round was one of them.

The one starring Vic Michaelis? I love them on Dropout shows and I was wondering whether that movie would actually be worth watching. Might give it a try then!
Correct. They're great in it. The movie is still a Hallmark Channel Original Movie™ but there's a playfulness to it that makes it less, um, turgid? than one might expect. It owns its Hallmark-ness while still being unafraid to play with genre conventions. I could nitpick on some of the smaller aspects to it but it's a cute girl. The ending is a scream.

Also wasn't mad at seeing Bryan Greenberg, who has great chemistry with Vic.

So, I have a list full of PJRetro potentials, but my song this round was randomly discovered while watching a Hallmark Hanukah movie this holiday season. (It was called Round & Round & was very charming!)

Anyways, it had some interesting songs pop up in the movie & All Your Time was one of them. I was like 'ooooh...what is this!?!' It certainly sounded '80s' but I had never heard it. So, I Shazamed it & fell down a bit of a Blue Peter rabbit hole. They were a Canadian synth pop band that flirted with the big time in the early 80s, but never quite made it huge. I guess the music coordinator for the movie has some taste, though.
Yes! They are sooooo fantastic! It was so gloriously random for them to star in a Hallmark movie, but as an unashamed Hallmark nerd I have to admit that the channel upped their game this holiday season. Some really quirky gems & Round and Round was one of them.
The music was surprisingly good in it, but I figured that since it was a made-for-TV movie it was (mostly) newer production music emulating the '80s dd. I didn't even recognize the song when it popped on the playlist here.

I'm not a Hallmark girly but I engaged with this one and A Biltmore Christmas based off of positive reviews and they did indeed hold up. The latter has one of those super generic Hallmark holiday movie titles but had another great lead in Bethany Joy Lenz and I'm sucker for old Hollywood. Give me cute guys speaking in Transatlantic accents and I'm good to go, I guess! If this is the state of Hallmark now, I'm not mad at it.

Last edited:
I normally don't offer explanations for my song choices these days, but I wanted to give a shoutout to the Decadance blog for bringing Nikita Warren's song to my attention. They've done a whole article about how the song was made and its success, but it's in Italian so Google Translate is highly recommended (bonus points if you're already Italian). The whole website is full of fascinating stuff about the Italian eurodance/italo-disco scene (but again it's in Italian so you know what to do). It absolutely blew my mind (and kinda made me laugh not gonna lie) when I heard the riff from Master at Work's remix of Saint Etienne was sampled from this song.

Wanted to also give a shout out to the amazing Flute Mix on the B-side of this record where there's a killer flute solo in place of Nikita's vocals. Dude had one flute preset on his keyboard and a dream.

Not gonna tag everyone that voted since frankly I find that shit annoying, but thanks to all that voted!

P.S. I was totally expecting Summerlove to win too, but congrats to A&E for making history with their win. (I think? Is this even the first time a German male artist has won any of the song contests?)

He/Him
I'd say "poor @Filler", but they just won PJ00s+ by a landslide.
Poor @Filler indeed still waiting for their ballot to be posted.
new-york-new-york-pollard.gif

Thank you everyone for taking part in this round, it was little rough in the middle with me being sick, shout out to @WoW73 who checked in on me and offered to help out, I ended up feeling well enough (the congestion just won't end though!). A different Waterlillies' song auto-played on Youtube not too long ago and I checked out the parent album Envoluptuousity and Sunshine Like You was an immediate stand-out! I'd recommend checking out the rest of the album, it's very good!

Thank you to:
12: @berserkboi, @A&E
10: @Hudvar, @CatastropheBoy, @Tiger Suit, @ohnoitisnathan
08: @Attis
06: @undisco_me, @pop3blow2
05: @Up N Down
04: @Lego, @unnameable, @KamikazeHeart
03: @invertedbutterfly
02: @Filler, @klow, @Untouchable Ace
01: @Dynamo
for the points!

4th place is an amazing result for Wony and her 80s-tastic bop, glad to end another PJ Retro year on a high. Thanks again to all the voters!

The winner is definitely among the most unexpected ones I can recall but it's a deserving one of course. And I definitely hear the Sandra-isms now that has been mentioned. I sure thought Þú & Ég would be in the top 3 instead of it and Judy Collins, which was another pleasantly surprising medalist.
Poor Laban having such drastic difference in their performance, I enjoyed that song and it surely deserved to do better.

Underrated corner: Laban, Holly Palmer (didn't vote for either of these but bottom 5 placement is way too harsh), Kim Wan Sun, Robert (this is quite Mylène Farmer coded, I thought it would reach top 5!) and Jeane Manson.

Thank you for excellent hosting and fabulous side theme, @If You Go! I wanted to spotlight a few more lost media cases but maybe another time.

Currently updating the total leaderboard for 2023 so stay tuned for that!

Wanted to post this the other day but totally forgot. But here it is. The total PJ Retro leaderboard for 2023:

PJ-Retro-2023.png

And the PJ Retro champion of 2023 is... me. Again. Two years in a row. This time with by a much greater margin at that. I'm not stepping off your necks just yet. But really, I'm so grateful to see such success in a content where a top 5 placement seemed like a dream just a few years ago. The point difference between the winner and the runner-up is 161 points, which is insane, I didn't think I dominated that much. Which brings us to the medalists, @soratami and @Tiger Suit, where the battle was so much closer. @soratami managed to by being amazingly consistent, managing accumulate a high point total without any medals and actually being the only one with that accolade in the top 10. Impressive. @Attis and @berserkboi showcase similar consistency but not exactly to the same extent, both just missing out on the overall top 10.
@Tiger Suit is one of the few participants to get a full set of medals alongside me, @DominoDancing and @pop3blow2. @A&E misses out on a bronze by just 6 points but has a very strong showing with one winning and two runner-up entries. @WowWowWowWow is the only participant to have three wins in the same year but no other medals and skipping a few rounds affected the overall placement. Similarly, @DominoDancing has a great showing with the medals but the hit/flop performances resulted in a lower total score. @If You Go had a really nice boost into the top 10 by ending the year with a gold and silver, a 10-spot jump compared to last update.
The infamous 'lowest ranked participant who took part in all rounds' belongs to @Untouchable Ace. Not everyone has that. @Jeffo has the second highest average score despite taking part four times, could've been a strong medal contender. Speaking of medals...​

Medal tally:

Gold - Silver - Bronze - Participant
3 - 0 - 0 - @WowWowWowWow
2 - 1 - 2 - @Maki
1 - 2 - 0 - @A&E
1 - 1 - 2 - @DominoDancing
1 - 1 - 1 - @Tiger Suit
1 - 1 - 1 - @pop3blow2
1 - 1 - 0 - @WoW73
1 - 1 - 0 - @If You Go
1 - 0 - 2 - @Jeffo
0 - 2 - 0 - @Up N Down
0 - 2 - 0 - @iheartpoptarts
0 - 1 - 0 - @Doodvid
0 - 1 - 0 - @Derek
0 - 0 - 1 - @invertedbutterfly
0 - 0 - 1 - @Disco Blister
0 - 0 - 1 - @chanex
0 - 0 - 1 - @CatastropheBoy

This actually makes me consider sending more risky entries this year, the ones that have been on my potentials list for a long time but I was always afraid to use, we'll see how that goes.. But anyway, here's to another successful PJ Retro year!

Ouch. There's a tiny crown, and there's a TINY crown.

This is seemingly a classic in its field, but only a 2022 discovery for me, from one of the monthly poll tournaments the Twitter account @peoples_pop used to do (they've since decided Twitter "X" sucks too much to do any more) – specifically, from a tournament of 1994 songs (same one I got QFX - Energy from). 'El Aparato', a song Google Translate assures me is about yearning to be abducted by aliens – relatable – is the flamboyant scene-setting opening track from 'Re', an album about which Wikipedia says the following:

image.png

At least they've got their flowers from somewhere! Popjustice just isn't the place. Thank you anyway to @berserkboi and @Disco Blister for the 1 point and the 2 points. If you put them together, it's sort of a 12...?

Last edited: