PJ RETRO 99 - Finished!

After medalling for the first time ever in a contest, the duty of hosting has somehow fallen to me, and since that may never happen again, why not give this a shot?

PJ RETRO 99

This would have gotten going sooner but I've been spending most the of the week packing, moving, and building furnitire. My new place is very modern and new, and I think that makes sense for me right now, but when I watch home improvement and design shows I always really enjoy the more specific designs. You know, the ones that are a little specific, full of character, quirky, maybe even... retro?

f7503a4cefcf1d5d8648cb910cba1ede.jpg

For awhile I was thinking I would not do any kind of side theme of sorts but I think that'd be a little lame of me? And with all the furniture I've been unboxing and with me having just binged four and a half seasons of HGTV's Rock The Block in the past week, here we are.

Overall, the round is THEMELESS, but for the side theme you may choose to share some aspect of some sort of retro design that you really like. By design I mean anything from home interiors, fashion, architecture, or even city planning. And by retro I mean the same thing that is meant regading this song contest, so that's pretty broad! Shouldn't be too hard. During the big vote reveal at the end I will probably also match your song to a random retro aesthetic photo like the one above, just based on the ~vibes~ I get from the music.

Now for the rules which I will directly copy and paste from the last thread:

General inclusion/exclusion criteria for entries:
  • must have been first released before January 1, 2000
  • no UK top 10 hits
  • no US top 10 hits
  • no covers or prominent samples of a UK or US top 10 hit OR was covered/prominently sampled in a song that was a UK or US top 10 hit
  • no songs (or covers of songs) that have competed in the Eurovision Song Contest
  • relatively unknown/underrated on Popjustice - so as a general benchmark, nothing from an artist with more than 25 pages of discussion on PJ (across all their artist threads)
  • no entry that has been previously entered in a previous round of PJSC (list of entries here) or PJ Retro (list of entries here)
  • no song by an act that was entered in the previous round - this includes any related solo or group acts to an act that was entered in the previous round (ex. Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, in an alternate universe where either of them could actually pass the veto criteria)

Criteria that will also be taken in consideration for veto purposes:
  • Song is from an album that peaked in the top 10 on the UK or US albums chart
  • Song is from a Platinum- or Gold-certified album in the UK or US
  • Song peaked between #11 and #20 on the UK or US singles chart
  • Song was a major hit in other big music markets and/or in multiple countries
  • Act has 15-24 pages of discussion on the forum
  • Song is by an act who had major success in the UK or US
  • Act has been entered multiple times in this contest

Voting rules:
  • You can award points to 10 entries per round. Award points ranging from 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 (with 12 points going to your favorite entry).
  • Only people who submitted a participating song can vote.
  • Entrants cannot vote for their own submission.
  • All entrants who fail to vote by the host's deadline will have their final scores cut in half.

Dates:
Submit By: PM @Lego by Tuesday, April 17, 11:59pm EDT
Vote By: Sunday, May 5th 11:59 PM EDT
Reveals: Monday, May 6th

Last edited:
FINAL RESULTS

14. Satu - Soi soi // @Maki =
59​
20. Bis - Kandy Pop // @Hudvar =
46​

Last edited:
Now for the rules which I will directly copy and paste from the last thread:

General inclusion/exclusion criteria for entries:

• must have been first released before January 1, 2000
  • no UK top 10 hits
  • no US top 10 hits
  • no covers or prominent samples of a UK or US top 10 hit OR was covered/prominently sampled in a song that was a UK or US top 10 hit
  • no songs (or covers of songs) that have competed in the Eurovision Song Contest
  • relatively unknown/underrated on Popjustice - so as a general benchmark, nothing from an artist with more than 25 pages of discussion on PJ (across all their artist threads)
  • no entry that has been previously entered in a previous round of PJSC (list of entries here) or PJ Retro (list of entries here)
  • no song by an act that was entered in the previous round - this includes any related solo or group acts to an act that was entered in the previous round (ex. Gwen Stefani and No Doubt, in an alternate universe where either of them could actually pass the veto criteria)

Criteria that will also be taken in consideration for veto purposes:
  • Song is from an album that peaked in the top 10 on the UK or US albums chart
  • Song is from a Platinum- or Gold-certified album in the UK or US
  • Song peaked between #11 and #20 on the UK or US singles chart
  • Song was a major hit in other big music markets and/or in multiple countries
  • Act has 15-24 pages of discussion on the forum
  • Song is by an act who had major success in the UK or US
  • Act has been entered multiple times in this contest

Voting rules:
  • You can award points to 10 entries per round. Award points ranging from 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 (with 12 points going to your favorite entry).
  • Only people who submitted a participating song can vote.
  • Entrants cannot vote for their own submission.
  • All entrants who fail to vote by the host's deadline will have their final scores cut in half.

Dates:
Submit By: PM @Lego by Tuesday, April 16, 11:59pm EDT
Vote By: Friday, May 3rd, 11:59 PM EDT
Reveals: Saturday, April 4th
I call plagiarism. I wrote all those rules myself.

To kick off the side theme I am going to highlight art deco architecture and specifically art deco in Detroit, a fun city where you can find that retro aesthetic in all sorts of places, from old historic theatres to old historic theatres that have been converted into parking garages (I am sadly not making that up).

But for this post I am going to highlight some of Detroit's art deco skyscrapers. But just the tips.

hnsFDle.png