PJ TWENTY QUID RATE: Part One (2003-2007): The Winner! | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

PJ TWENTY QUID RATE: Part One (2003-2007): The Winner!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Lost In Japan., Feb 21, 2022.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Girls Aloud - Biology (2006)
    Average Score: 9.53
    Highest Score:
    11x2 (@-SNS-, @Robsolete), 10x21 (@K94, @Remorque, @TéléDex, @Wild Man., @FINISH LINE, @Kyle., @Someboy, @klow, @Untouchable Ace, @Sally_Harper, @marie_05, @SuperNerd, @Conan, @Aester, @berserkboi, @WowWowWowWow, @BubblegumBoy, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @2014, @soratami, @Lost In Japan.)
    Lowest Score: 5.5x1 (@Uno)
    My Score: 10
    Absolutely smashing the record for most 10s in the rate so far (tied with our next elimination, but with more 10s than the winner!), our bronze medallist song is the pop behemoth that is ‘Biology’. I had expected a top 2 of ‘Some Girls’ and this, so thank you for shaking things up (even if I prefer this to both of the remaining songs nn).

Released in November 2005 as the second single from their third album, ‘Biology’ followed up the lacklustre-performing (but now more appreciated) lead single ‘Long Hot Summer’, which had become their first single to fail to reach the top 5 earlier that summer, and which Brian Higgins called a “disaster record”. ‘Biology’ was a direct reaction to the relative flop of ‘Long Hot Summer’; and what a reaction it was.

Now the go-to shorthand for the “many songs in one” Xenomania approach to production, ‘Biology’ also completely abandoned the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure more than any Girls Aloud song had done before. It goes verse 1 (Nadine crooning “fool me feed me” over a riff borrowed from The Animals’ ‘Club a Go-Go’), into verse 2 (the “Alabama return” reference that prompted a Popjustice post analysing the song as a metaphor for the American Civil War), then a first bridge where Cheryl and Sarah take the lead to bring you “closer”, before the song lurches into its first of several choruses, this one accompanied by the best handography ever to be executed by a girlband. Then, at the two minute mark, the second chorus, with the title hook, finally hits: you can’t mistake their Biology. Verse 1 repeats, chorus 2 repeats, end. It’s madcap brilliance that has made the song still hold up seventeen years later.

To match the unhinged song structure, the music video for ‘Biology’ is also perfectly chaotic, featuring messy transitions, giant pink fluffy dresses and the legendary Sarah Harding alternating between completely forgetting the choreography and going for it with more enthusiasm than any of the other girls. The red-and-black outfits from the music video also feature on the single cover, designed by the brilliant Form Design and inspired by the album cover of Germfree Adolescents, featuring the girls trapped in test tubes.

‘Biology’ returned the girls to the top 5 of the charts, entering at #4. The girls made the slightly baffling decision to follow it up with a cover of Dee C. Lee’s ‘See the Day’, but the Chemistry album that followed was much more in the spirit of ‘Biology’ and remains a classic to this day.

‘Biology’ is one of the most iconic songs in the Popjustice canon. It won the first Girls Aloud discography rate with an average over 10; it also won the very first rate I hosted (a Girls Aloud singles rate) *eleven years ago*.

[​IMG]

The Popjustice front page at the time said the following of ‘Biology’:
    And did he lie?! The Guardian joined in on the praise, calling it “the best pop single of the last decade” in 2006. Despite Girls Aloud never cracking America, ‘Biology’ made Pitchfork’s decade-end list of the Top 500 Tracks of the 2000s, at #245. And of course, it was a well-deserved winner of the 2006 Twenty Quid Prize, netting the girls their third win. Although it didn’t take the top spot in this rate, it does finish as the highest-rated Twenty Quid winner of part 1 of the rate, and the highest-placed song from the 2006 shortlist.

Commentary:
    @Uno
    (5.5): Another song I never really got all the adoration for.

@DJHazey (8): Never been fully on board as far as it being a personal favorite. I think it's simply because the fact that it being quirky Girls Aloud at their best ends up hurting it in the end. The way it mixes up several different sounds in one is its detriment instead of a strongpoint, when I love some parts a lot more than others. Those parts are strong enough for a high score though.

@Phonetics Girl (9): Guess I'm Team Some Girls oop!

@WowWowWowWow (10): The pinnacle.

@berserkboi (10): A game changer!

@Untouchable Ace (10): An 11 contender, however although a definite 10, with so many listens over the years, the "Why don't you fool me..." opening section no longer feels as cohesive with the other 2 sections. I can't get over this anymore. I just wish the production value of this section was better to match the addictiveness of the "Can't mistake my biology..." section.

@Sally_Harper (10): I don’t even know what to say. Easily one of the greatest songs ever created. And it’s three songs for the price of one!

2. v

This weekend.​

3. I guess everybody knows what my 11 is now!

As with Rachel Stevens, I decided to only give 3 10's to the Girls Aloud songs. Even though Biology is fabulous, the other three GA songs are in my Top 10, so I gave Biology 9.

I'm here for any of the Top 2 to win (although I'd prefer a tie!)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    berserkboi, DJHazey, soratami and 2 others like this.
  4. No one gets notifications for their 10s in the top 3, there's too many 11s un front of them.

I can't believe Something Kinda Ooooh is a contender. But if it hasn't won a rate before go for it. But it's probably Hole In The Head.

5. I never knew this! Thanks.

6. Well, this is an unexpected top 2. Both are 10s, but I would have preferred any of the other three songs in the top 5 to come out on top. But the good news is this rate will be represented in the next winners' rate regardless of which one wins, since neither have won a rate before (unlike Biology).

7. Not my least fave Girls Aloud song in the rate facing off my Sugababes' most fave! Prayers to Saint Keisha!

8. I'm happy with any of the winners tbh

9. Extremely happy!

10. Something Kinda Oooh!

11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I think these 2 benefit most from not having anyone really tank it. I love both really, but I can't imagine Girls Aloud not winning.

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Both don't feel like the best ones here to me but I think (to my own surprise) I'm team Sugababes when it comes to these 2

13. The top 2 are iconic so I won't moan about that too much.

But anyone who thinks Biology isn't a 10 should delete their accounts!

Someboy, DJHazey, 2014 and 3 others like this.
  14. Hole In The Head won the Xenomania rate but it also won a rate before that!

15. Can we include previous winners in a Winners Rate if they've never appeared on the Winners Rate before?

16. Yes.

17. Well, that’s an interesting twist and a surprising top 2! I’m on Team Sugababes in this particular case, but yeah, I can’t imagine a non-Aloud track winning. I think back in 2007 the obvious outcome would have been Biology vs Some Girls.

Biology is Popjustice, even though it’s not my personal GA favourite. It sounds a tiny bit less cohesive than some of the other Aloud tracks in a similar vein, but it’s definitely one of those songs that embody everything pop music should be about as well as one of the defining tracks for this very forum’s existence. A classic!

18. Both are equal in my eyes. I'm happy Biology didn't sneak into the Top 2.

19. Right then, let's see what song is getting the forum's £20*, shall we?

*Hypothetically, I'm still skint from Primavera

20. For the last time, new page...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.