PJ00s 28: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack | The Popjustice Forum

PJ00s 28: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by livefrommelbs, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:42 PM.

1. [​IMG]

*Press play on the following before reading the below for dramatic effect*

Welcome to
    PJ00s 28
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.

I'm your host, composer, SFX engineer and executive producer, @livefrommelbs. And as you may have guessed, this round we'll be celebrating the music of our favourite 00s movies.

From totally fetch teen movies to the rise of the superhero genre, the 00s were filled with some truly incredible and unforgettable films. And the music featured on soundtracks and scores alike only made them more iconic. I mean, just ask KT Tunstall. She's still living off royalties because 'Suddenly I See' was featured in almost every rom-com from the decade!

In amongst all the movie merriment, of course, we will be revelling in our favourite forgotten 00s music too. So let's have a little recap of the rules:

• must have been first released between 01.01.2000-12.31.2009
    • no UK top 20 hits
    • no US top 20 hits
    • no tracks from a US or UK top 10 album
    • no covers or prominent samples of famous songs
    • no relatively famous/chart-successful cover versions of your desired entry (if it's the original version) recorded by a different act
    • no songs (or covers of songs) that have competed in the Eurovision Song Contest (semi-finals or finals)
    • relatively unknown/underrated on Popjustice - so as a general benchmark, nothing from an artist with more than 10 pages of discussion on PJ (across all their artist threads)
    • no entry that has been previously entered in a previous round of PJ00s (list of past entries here), PJSC (see the wiki), or PJOPS (list of entries here; the '00s crossover round list can be found here). Additionally, no entry that has been previously vetoed in PJ00s (in general, these acts will most likely be vetoed again, unless the reason for the veto was that the song was previously entered in a different song contest).
    Songs that fail these criteria should be vetoed by the round host. Songs that pass these criteria should be PMed to the veto panel for their decisions, with at least a 2/3 majority vote required for a song to be be included in the contest.

Repeat artists guideline:
    - the same act (in any form - solo, group, featured, etc.) cannot be entered for FOUR rounds since their last appearance (i.e., a non-winning round 8 act can be reentered no sooner than round 13, and in round 9, non-winning acts from rounds 1-4 are generally eligible again)
    - for the winner of each round, that artist cannot be entered again (in any form - solo, group, featured) for the subsequent TEN rounds
    - if the same artist wins TWO rounds of PJ00s in any form (solo artist, group, feature, etc.), that artist is no longer eligible for future PJ00s rounds

The side theme.
    Along with your entry, I'd love for you to submit some music associated with a film from 2000-2009. It could be a favourite pop song that made the movie's OST...

A soundtrack exclusive your fave legend recorded for a motion picture...

A number from an iconic 00s musical...

Or even an instrumental highlight from your favourite 00s movie score.

In the fortnight leading up the big reveal of the results, I'll share the movie-centric music we've submitted - so we can marvel in the taste of us mean girls, iron men, wedding crashers and Prada-wearing devils.

Here are the key dates:
    • PM YOUR SUBMISSION TO @livefrommelbs BY 11:59PM GMT ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 9TH
    • SUBMIT YOUR SOUNDTRACK/MOVIE SONGS BY 11:59PM ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 16TH
    • VOTING CLOSES 11:59PM GMT ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 26TH.
    In the meantime, grab your popcorn, upsize your post-mix soda and take a seat (but not directly next to me, I hate that).

Because this PJ00s gone cinematic. And it's never looked - or sounded - better.

(Okay, maybe looked a little better. Graphic design is still not my passion).

2. To pick a song from my favourite movie or my favourite song that features in a movie to highlight... Hmmmm

Love the theme @livefrommelbs !!

Maki, soratami, pop3blow2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Por que no los dos?!

4. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again!

5. I miss going to an actual movie theater.

Island, Maki, Phonetics Boy and 8 others like this.
  6. Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 7.27.26 PM.png

giphy-1.gif

7. Does it have to be a movie? Because I have a lot of options... from anime. ddddd

8. Where do you think my favourite song to feature in a movie is gonna come from? Dddd

9. If it's an anime film released in 2000-2009, go bananas!

10. I really should have decided on a song to enter before the round started, huh?

Also, love the theme! But I have a question, can pre-00 songs associated with 00s movies be selected?

11. Ummmmm - why would you go there when your favourite song of all time is eligible?

From 500 Days Of Summer

12. Yup! As long as the movie was released in the 00s, the music can be from any time period.

13. Remember when this was in The Shawshank Redemption?

londonrain, citoig, Maki and 5 others like this.
  14. DDDDD I HATE THIS POST.
    (And by that I mean I'm cackling about it like a 47-year old fishdog.)

londonrain, Maki, saviodxl and 4 others like this.
  15. Island

Island Staff Member

I hate that I laughed at that post too!

londonrain, Maki, soratami and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.