PJOPS 33 - It's a magic number... (WE HAVE A WINNER) | The Popjustice Forum

PJOPS 33 - It's a magic number... (WE HAVE A WINNER)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KamikazeHeart, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Dearly beloved,

We are gathered here today thanks to the epic shoulder shimmying of Japanese twins The Peanuts.

[​IMG]

After besting the likes of incest-praising showtunes, Academy Award-nominees and Eurovision C-stars.

[​IMG]

Oh dear, must have opened the wrong tab titled ”Uncle fucker”... let's move on shall we. And now I am going to borrow (steal) some information from our previous host @londonrain, who did a magnificent job hosting and making the last contest the biggest ever.

[​IMG]

Basically a competition of obscure songs from the ’90s, ’80s, ’70s, ’60s, ’50s, ’40s or earlier (if you can find a song from 1540 that fits the theme, go ahead and submit it!) If you have a song you’d like us all to hear, now’s the time to do it – everyone who submits a song will vote on the other songs submitted. Here’s a run-down of how it works:

1. PM your entry to me with a link to it on a platform that will allow us all to be able to listen to it (YouTube, Vimeo and Dailymotion are all good starting points).

2. Keep your fingers crossed that the veto panel doesn't reject your entry. If your song is vetoed, return to step 1 and try again.

3. Once the song list is posted, listen to all the songs and decide on your top 10 in order. Award points to these in a Eurovision-style fashion (i.e. 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points, with 12 points going to your favourite song) and PM me your scores. You only need to send through the top 10. Anything that doesn’t make your top 10 will automatically get a zero.

4. Log in for the reveal and find out whether your song flops or smashes!

What kind of songs can I send this time around?

The usual PJOPS rules apply:
    1. The song must have been released before 01.01.2000.

2. The song must not be by a huge act that we discuss a lot on the forum (so no Madonna deep cuts, please – although you could get away with a Vanessa Williams deep cut) and it must not be a song that was well-known or a major hit (so please don’t submit the Macarena just because Los Del Rio doesn’t have its own thread). Click here for list of previous entries to give you an idea.
    In addition, entries must match this contest’s theme.

Since my ”imagination” isn't very big compared to some of you...

[​IMG]

Let's go with a splendid suggestion from @ModeRed:

You heard right – album tracks only!

[​IMG]

This means that all singles are disqualified, including promo singles.

B-sides, you say? Not disqualified per se... only if they weren't on a studio album to begin with. And no, being included on a modern day re-issue or boxset won't cut it.

So what do I need from you? Except bribes, a PM containing:
    • Your artist and song
    • A link to where the song can be heard
    • And I'd also appreciate a link to the song's album - https://www.discogs.com/ works great
    For the sake of full transparency: as usual I'm on the veto panel and we will hold all our conversations behind closed doors.

IMPORTANT DATES: Deadline for voting is midnight Friday September 1, with the reveal happening on Saturday night.

Any questions and/or comments will be handled by the customer service department.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. RESULTS

1. S.O.A.P. - Live Forever // stevo_1988 = 113
    2. Gil Scott-Heron - Lady Day And John Coltrane // Baby Clyde = 97
    3. Mary Chapin Carpenter - This Shirt // ComeOnGloria = 96
    4. BT - Lullaby For Gaia // New Flame = 92
    5. Patty Smyth - Heartache Heard Round The World // londonrain = 90
    6. Billie Myers - A Few Words Too Many // Oleander = 79
    7. Mandalay - Insensible // ModeRed = 78
    8. Apollonia - For Your Love // GimmeWork = 75
    9. The Beloved - Up, Up And Away // Eric Generic = 72
    10. Cause & Effect - The Echoing Green // Derek = 69
    11. Slowdive - The Ballad of Sister Sue // Ironheade = 62
    12. The Tyrrel Corporation - I've Had Enough // ohnoitisnathan = 58
    13. Richard Jacques feat. TJ Davis - Diamond In The Sky // Laurence Nope = 57
    14. Thunderbugs - Walking On Air // Hudweiser = 55
    15. Elisa - The Marriage // Sprockrooster = 53
    16. France Gall - On t'avait prévenue // Russron = 51
    17. Judy Kuhn - Someone Else's Story // unnameable = 50
    18. Sophie B. Hawkins - Your Tongue Like The Sun // 2014 = 45
    19. smile.dk - Get Out // iheartpoptarts = 42
    20. Dorothy Ashby - Myself When Young // Zarjazz = 41.5
    21. Nut - Giant // rawkey = 38
    x22. Patrice Rushen - Let's Sing A Song Of Love // WowWowWowWow = 37
    x22. Julee Cruise - Friends For Life // One Stop Candy Shop = 37
    24. Capital Sound - Sussex Drive // DJHazey = 35
    25. Ani DiFranco - Cradle And All // invertedbutterfly = 34
    26. Coleske - Wish I Was Young (And Still In Love) // Filippa = 31
    x27. Hélène Rolles - La guitare et la rose // berserkboi = 30
    x27. Dolly Mixture - How Come You're Such A Hit With The Boys, Jane? // Raisin Hell = 30
    29. Vashti Bunyan - Diamond Day // KamikazeHeart = 28
    30. The Judybats - Ugly On The Outside // Cotton Park = 22
    31. Nilüfer - Unut Gitsin // Kadebostany = 13
    32. Village People - I Love You To Death // Ray = 9.5
    33. 3rd Party - Second Nature // Mina = 6
    34. Newsies Ensemble - King of New York // br0dy = 5

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    londonrain, Oleander and send photo like this.
  3. Loving the continuation of the cat picture/gif theme, @KamikazeHeart !

Accordingly, this is how I picture the veto panel:
    [​IMG]

4. Oh, what's this? A song contest with a cat gifs theme? Looks interesting...

[​IMG]

5. Sorry I am at work and cannot read this with all the gifs flashing without looking suspicious. What is the theme exactly? Could you please PM me?

londonrain likes this.
  6. PMed you.

londonrain and berserkboi like this.
  7. Also....since musical theatre albums aren't technically promoted with singles (since every number in the album is in the show), that means any song would be eligible?

Asking for a friend.

Filippa, Oleander, Zarjazz and 5 others like this.
  8. Your friend hasn't learned from the results last time, has she?

9. Ray

Ray

YAAASSS my entry (the one I talked about frequently in previous edition) is an album track. Which means no video, because duh.

Off to find a backup because of

[​IMG]

Mina and londonrain like this.
  10. YES.

Mina and londonrain like this.
  11. Some of you have had a hard time finding your songs on YouTube or Daily Motion, for natural reasons. I don't think everybody here in PJOPS uses Spotify, but we should be able to work out a solution. I'll get in touch with you guys over PM.

Oleander, Mina and londonrain like this.
  12. Let's just say you won't be getting through with One Night In Bangkok or Memory, but generally yes. As long as there is a cast recording!

Oleander, Mina and londonrain like this.
  13. This is the problem @tylerc904 had last round, and I'm still impressed with how dedicated he was to finding a way to submit that random Dollar album track.

(If it had been vetoed I don't think I could have faced breaking it to him.)

Oleander, Mina and Eric Generic like this.
  14. I'm trying to imagine @Mina submitting Memory, given her feelings about Cats (the musical)...

[​IMG]

Filippa, Oleander, Mina and 1 other person like this.
  15. Elaine Paige is truly a musical queen. That rendition of Memories is brilliant.

Mina likes this.
  16. And no bypassing the rules by submitting a non-single cover of a single!

Case in point:

Filippa, Oleander, Zarjazz and 3 others like this.
  17. So @londonrain am I getting this life-changer you promise?

Mina likes this.
  18. No. Sorry. Unfortunately it was a single (not that anyone would have actually realised it unless they hunted down the video, given that it didn't chart in the UK or US...)

Mina likes this.
  19. Dayum. Are you sharing or keeping for the future?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.