PJOPS 40 ~ Summer • Deep Cuts • Free For All ~ (We have a winner!) | The Popjustice Forum

PJOPS 40 ~ Summer • Deep Cuts • Free For All ~ (We have a winner!)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by soratami, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Welcome everyone to

[​IMG]

This time around, rules are a bit different than the usual, and to explain how, I'll break down the round theme:

summer ~ it's summer right now (in the northern hemisphere at least), it doesn't mean anything theme-wise.
    deep cuts ~ NO SINGLES ALLOWED. Album tracks, b-sides, soundtrack contributions, unreleased material... are all welcome though. Regional singles, airplay-only singles, etc, won't be accepted either.
    free for all ~ This round practically all acts are acceptable, regardless of how big they are or how successful their albums are. (The exception here is acts who have a huge following on PopJustice and so would have an unfair advantage here. Some examples of acts that'll definitely get vetoed: Madonna, Kylie, Christina, Britney, Spice Girls, Whitney, Cher, All Saints.)

So if you have an amazing album track by an act you love that's usually a bit too big for PJOPS, now's your chance to enter it! Of course you can always just go for regular PJOPS entries/acts too, as long as they're not singles!

And of course, as always, only pre-2000 songs are allowed.

To enter, just PM me your song choice - make sure to include the name of the act, the name of the song and a link to the song (Youtube, Spotify, whatever works).

By the way, your veto team this round is me, @KamikazeHeart and @Baby Clyde. Vetoing will be a bit different (and much less strict) this time around due to the theme, so don't be afraid to try entering your faves.

Dates:
    Entry - from 09/08 to 23/08
    Voting - from 24/08 to 14/09
    Reveal - 15/09

2. Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. FINAL LEADERBOARD

1 Y Kant Tori Read - On The Boundary // əʊæ = 106
    2 Boy Krazy - On A Wing And A Prayer // popknark2 = 103
    3 Erasure - Heart of Stone // Untouchable Ace = 97
    4 Five Star - You Should Have Waited // phoenix123 = 93
    5 Everything But The Girl - Mirrorball // chanex = 91
    6 Dalida - Mourir Sur Scène // berserkboi = 88
    7 Gloria Estefan - Say // invertedbutterfly = 86
    8 Gloria Gaynor - I Said Yes // Empty Shoebox = 83
    9 Fiona Apple - Sullen Girl // soratami = 79
    10 Debbie Gibson - Play The Field // DJHazey = 76
    11 Grace Jones - Art Groupie // Riiiiiiiii = 70
    12 Sai Yoshiko - Taiji No Hime // Lego = 68
    13 Zbigniew Preisner & Elzbieta Towarnicka - Van den Budenmayer Concerto in E Minor (Version 1798) // Russron = 66
    13 Sheila E - Faded Photographs // Bleu Noir = 66
    15 Natalie Imbruglia - Troubled By The Way We Came Together // londonrain = 65
    16 Bucks Fizz - Oh Suzanne // rawkey = 63
    17 Ayumi Hamasaki - And Then // One Stop Candy Shop = 61
    18 William Onyeabor - Good Name // nnnumb = 59
    19 Gabrielle - Tell Me What You Dream // Robsolete = 58
    19 Tiffany - Can't Stop A Heartbeat // Hudweiser = 58
    21 Samantha Fox - One In A Million // CatastropheBoy = 56
    21 Shampoo - Skinny White Thing // saviodxl = 56
    23 Cleopatra - Thinking About You // 2014 = 52
    24 Dolly Parton - Daddy's Moonshine Still // Baby Clyde = 50
    24 Letters to Cleo - I'm a Fool // iheartpoptarts = 50
    24 Wilson Philips - Over & Over // Eric Generic = 50
    27 Hanson - Yearbook // CasuallyCrazed = 49
    27 Cocteau Twins - Millimillenary // ModeRed = 49
    29 Strawpeople - Dream Child // ohnoitisnathan = 48
    30 Texas - Dream Hotel // Sprockrooster = 46
    30 Dolly Dots - City Nights // WoW73 = 46
    32 5ive - It's All Over // br0dy = 45
    33 Brian Eno - By This River // Dennis = 42
    34 Conner Reeves - Ordinary People // AcerBenII = 39
    35 Lesley Gore - I Struck A Match // Jeffo = 37
    36 Save Ferris - Let Me In // CorgiCorgiCorgi = 34
    37 Carpenters - Boat To Sail // Laurence Nope = 33
    38 Blondie - Slow Motion // KamikazeHeart = 31
    39 The Bangles - Crash And Burn // unnameable = 29
    40 Blue Angel - Can't Blame Me // Filippa = 22
    41 Alexia - Because I Miss You // HarryEzra = 20
    42 Ultra Naté - Every Now + Then // WowWowWowWow = 16

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  4. Oh I love that theme! But I guess I will have some trouble to decide who is too big for this challenge! So @veto panel prepare yourself for some work!

5. love this idea - will be interesting to see what passes veto.

6. I actually need to think of something to enter myself as I haven't got around to that yet...

7. Now, this could be fun...

8. I'm pleased to say a few people have already sent acts that would definitely get vetoed on normal conditions. But these aren't normal conditions after all.

This is definitely going to be an interesting round.

9. Aaaaand we already had someone try to enter a single. Reading is fundamental y'all.

10. First song entered. Went with a complete legend because I can.

londonrain, WowWowWowWow and soratami like this.
  11. Oh god! Only one of the entries I had in mind fits but the act is so obscure I feel I should keep them for a different round! Sadly, Be Careful by Madonna is still ineligible! Also, can we repeat artists from the very previous round?

12. I was spoilt for choice, for a change. Have a few tracks/acts that I'd love to use for this round.

13. There isn't any rule against repeat artists, that I know of at least. And I wouldn't worry about entering obscure acts, it's not like everyone is entering huge names.

14. Shawn Mendes is on that list but Ace Reject isn't! 'The Professionals' stan pretty boy white mediocrity I see...

15. Well, Billboard is American so it's no surprise that list is completely America-centric, to the point it considers songs that were released as singles outside America deep cuts...

16. That's a thread in itself, but here's a non american 21st century album track that should have been a single:

berserkboi and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.