PJOPS (Song Contest) 43/XLIII: The Rewind - Reveal Day! | Page 31 | The Popjustice Forum

PJOPS (Song Contest) 43/XLIII: The Rewind - Reveal Day!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by iheartpoptarts, Dec 17, 2018.

1. That's @londonrain! It's in one of the vault threads somewhere.

EDIT: I'm slow. Too much hosting will do that to ya!

2. The radio mix on iTunes seems to be the one to download

3. I thought this was happening last night but the conversation so far would suggest otherwise.

Maybe I'm only 2 hours late.

4. Did we just trade 12s? Synchronicity!

5. Oh gosh. Let me turn beat red, as despite what some people may think, I don't like getting this much attention. I thought this might get something like 15th to 20th but never thought this. I never in a million years thought I'd be able to win this contest because most of my pop music knowledge of underrated acts is limited to the 00s and little after that. I'm so grateful to everyone who gave me points, like I can't even express it right. It's such an honor. I'm so happy that a teen-pop girl gets me that victory which is just so right, since I've been stanning the subgenre forever. How perfect is it that the wonderful host and forum bestie @iheartpoptarts hosted the round too and that she purposely moved her reveal up to a Saturday for me (I know you did *wink*) Me being a double-crown member now (PJ00s and PJOPS wins) -- I...I don't know what to say. Thank you all again.

Not sure if I'll be able to work in hosting the next round even though I'd love to since I know what theme I'd go with for entries, because I'm currently helping with the Pj00s round and will be running a rate with @iheartpoptarts soon after. Maybe if my Pj00s responsibilities are off the table by the time this needs to begin, perhaps I could host. I'd do all songs have to be by an artist who released it before their 20th birthday. (Teen pop forever!)

6. Congrats @DJHazey - a deserved win. Thanks @iheartpoptarts for excellent hosting.

I'll console myself with the realisation that I managed second last round, and second last this round, ha!

7. @DJHazey - that win is well deserved and your potential theme is so out there I stan it!!!

Great hosting too, @iheartpoptarts !!!

8. One last follow-up in regard to my submission - I had a billion potential submissions for this round, with Blueprint being one of them. And then on the very day I had to decide on a song (well, I was a day late actually), I saw and bought the Blueprint 12" for a couple of bucks in a local used record store. I considered that a sign.
    rainbirds.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  9. Congratulations once again @DJHazey for winning!

This was such a fun contest with a lot of great songs, and new discoveries are made, which is a success.

I guess 17th place isn't that bad for a newcomer.
    I had my hopes high throughout, and it turns out that France Gall ended up as the highest-scoring French song in the round, at least something.
    In comparison to the PJ00s second chance round, in the last votes I managed to receive both higher amount of points (1 point difference, though) and a higher placement. Again, it's something.

Ready for the pre-80's round!

10. Congratulations, @DJHazey, and thank you to @iheartpoptarts for an excellent round!

Thanks to everyone who voted for Scandal. This is the most points I’ve ever received in PJOPS (even more than the time I won because the then-current leader failed to vote dddddd). I’m so thrilled you guys liked Goodbye To You! Unfortunately the EP this is from is really hard to find, but this is on the lead singer’s greatest hits album:

The Warrior is great but is sadly ineligible because it was actually a hit.

11. FINAL SCOREBOARD

1st - Shana - I Want You // DJHazey = 157
    2nd - Scandal - Goodbye to You // londonrain = 123
    3rd - Lace - Triple Threat // iheartpoptarts = 103
    4th - Sharon O'Neill - Losing You // ohnoitisnathan = 101
    5th - Rainbirds - Blueprint // DominoDancing = 98
    6th - E.G. Daily - Say It, Say It // Jeffo = 97
    7th - Lili & Sussie - Okej Okej? // Empty Shoebox = 91
    8th - Invisible Limits - Golden Dreams // nnnumb = 86
    9th - Darling Buds - Burst // Auntie Beryl = 77
    10th - Red Box - Chenko (Album Version) // Eric Generic = 75
    11th - Blow Monkeys - It Pays to Belong // CorgiCorgiCorgi = 72
    12th - Taffy - Step by Step // popknark2 = 66
    13th - Honey Ltd. - Tomorrow Your Heart // Laurence Nope = 66
    14th - Michael Cretu - Gambit // Untouchable Ace = 63
    15th - Toyah - Rebel Run // CasuallyCrazed = 54
    16th - Stacey Q - Don't Make a Fool of Yourself // HarryEzra = 53
    17th - France Gall - Attends ou va t'en // Maki = 52
    18th - Robin Beck - Tears in the Rain // KamikazeHeart = 49
    19th - Luna Parker - Tes états d'âme Eric // soratami = 48
    20th - Martinelli - Cenerentola // Filippa = 48
    21st - Peppermint Lounge - Perfect High // ModeRed = 46
    22nd - Dolly Dots - Leila (The Queen of Sheba) // WoW73 = 42
    23rd - The Waitresses - Make the Weather // 2014 = 39
    24th - Bessie Smith - Send Me to the 'Lectric Chair // invertedbutterfly = 37
    25th - The Cupids - Bazazz Tengoku // Russron = 35
    26th - Gretchen - Conga, Conga, Conga // saviodxl = 35
    27th - Krystyna Prońko - Psalm stojących w kolejce // əʊæ = 34
    28th - Surface Noise - Dancin' on a Wire // Hudweiser = 33
    29th - Yes - Astral Traveller // Lego = 30
    30th - Dhar Braxton - Jump Back // Baby Clyde = 29
    31st - Advance - Take Me to the Top // WowWowWowWow = 28
    32nd - Michel Sardou - Afrique Adieu // berserkboi = 23
    33rd - An Luu - Pourquoi tu me fous plus des coups? // One Stop Candy Shop = 16
    34th - The Jimmy Castor Bunch - I Love a Mellow Groove // rawkey = 14
    35th - Wiel Knipa - Vasteli Vastela Vasteloavend // Sprockrooster = 10

Hang around for the guessing game results in a sec!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    2014, əʊæ, nnnumb and 11 others like this.
  12. Scandal (and Pattty Smyth) are great. It suffered from being an already-known song/artist to me, the surprises and discoveries tend to take my attention in these contests!

I will also be investigating Rainbirds, as they seem a very intruiging band that reminded me of 10,000 Maniacs a bit.

13. The Warrior is absolutely amazing, everything you could want 80s pop-rock to be!

Full disclosure, I know fuck all about the band outside of this song. The only reason I really know them is because one of their guitarists would go on to play in one of Germany's most successful rock bands ever (which was also a personal favourite from my youth).

əʊæ, Filippa, londonrain and 4 others like this.
  14. 2014, əʊæ, Empty Shoebox and 7 others like this.
  15. Also, to keep it all positive, it can be said that this is my best result so far, because I participated only once. So...
    [​IMG]
    My first gif on this forum!

16. I am bottom as expected. But I might win in the end with an other game.

Congratulations @DJHazey a well deserved final win. And let me already state in advance this was fun @iheartpoptarts!!!

Also, I feel like saying something about Bessie Smith. She was vetoed before when I entered her in the decades round, which never sat right with me as Ella Fitzgerald and Etta James got through earlier. Bessie does not feel like a bigger artist then them (not here pitting women against each other). So I am glad she got through now. I do understand the borderline veto she might be so it is no shade towards the veto panel who initially vetoed her.

əʊæ, KamikazeHeart, Maki and 6 others like this.
  17. GUESSING GAME RESULTS
    (STILL NOT THE ACTUAL SCOREBOARD)

We had some close predictions at the top!

1st - Surface Noise - Dancin' on a Wire // Hudweiser = 1 (predicted 34, got 33)
    2nd - Red Box - Chenko (Album Version) // Eric Generic = 2 (predicted 77, got 75)
    3rd - Wiel Knipa - Vasteli Vastela Vasteloavend // Sprockrooster = 3 (predicted 7, got 10)

And as for the rest of you...

Peppermint Lounge - Perfect High // ModeRed = 6 (predicted 52, got 46)
    Michel Sardou - Afrique Adieu // berserkboi = 9 (predicted 32, got 23)
    Yes - Astral Traveller // Lego = 10 (predicted 20, got 30)
    Dolly Dots - Leila (The Queen of Sheba) // WoW73 = 12 (predicted 54, got 42)
    Darling Buds - Burst // Auntie Beryl = 14 (predicted 63, got 77)
    France Gall - Attends ou va t'en // Maki = 15 (predicted 67, got 52)
    Sharon O'Neill - Losing You // ohnoitisnathan = 16 (predicted 85, got 101)
    Stacey Q - Don't Make a Fool of Yourself // HarryEzra = 17 (predicted 70, got 53)
    Advance - Take Me to the Top // WowWowWowWow = 17 (predicted 45, got 28)
    Luna Parker - Tes états d'âme Eric // soratami = 18 (predicted 66, got 48)
    Honey Ltd. - Tomorrow Your Heart // Laurence Nope = 23 (predicted 43, got 66)
    The Jimmy Castor Bunch - I Love a Mellow Groove // rawkey = 23 (predicted 37, got 14)
    Michael Cretu - Gambit // Untouchable Ace = 27 (predicted 90, got 63)
    Krystyna Prońko - Psalm stojących w kolejce // əʊæ = 27 (predicted 7, got 34)
    Gretchen - Conga, Conga, Conga // saviodxl = 34 (predicted 69, got 35)
    Blow Monkeys - It Pays to Belong // CorgiCorgiCorgi = 35 (predicted 37, got 72)
    E.G. Daily - Say It, Say It // Jeffo = 39 (predicted 58, got 97)
    The Waitresses - Make the Weather // 2014 = 41 (predicted 80, got 39)
    Toyah - Rebel Run // CasuallyCrazed = 46 (predicted 100, got 54)
    Lili & Sussie - Okej Okej? // Empty Shoebox = 53 (predicted 38, got 91)
    Invisible Limits - Golden Dreams // nnnumb = 54 (predicted 32, got 86)
    Dhar Braxton - Jump Back // Baby Clyde = 73 (predicted 102, got 29)
    Shana - I Want You // DJHazey = 90 (predicted 67, got 157)

Congrats to our top guesser @Hudweiser!

One point. I want your magic formula next time!

And congrats to @DJHazey for wildly exceeding all of his expectations, look at that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.