PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (ALL VOTES IN, REVEAL CONCLUDES AUG 12TH 9PM UK TIME) | The Popjustice Forum

PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (ALL VOTES IN, REVEAL CONCLUDES AUG 12TH 9PM UK TIME)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Eric Generic, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Due to overwhelming popular demand, ladies and gentlemen please welcome the PJOPS - bastard offspring of the mighty Official Popjustice Song Contest, designed to have some smalltime retro fun with a winning formula and bring joy unto the world on a (hopefully) monthly basis.

As I made the mistake of suggesting...er, I mean came up with....this fantastic idea....I am your default host for the time being, but all advice, tips and general balls-up rectifying is gladly welcomed. And most probably needed!

For this to work like a dream, I suppose we need a team of fit young men willing to lay their lives and reputations on the line in the name of a NATO....oops, I mean VETO...panel. Please file an orderly queue by the side of the stage, and do your forum proud.

THIS OPENING ROUND'S CHOSEN THEME: Anything pre-2000, to ease everyone into the swing of things....however, bear in mind that the usual PJSC criteria should be observed as closely as possible; defining what is and isn't obscure in 2013 can vary - as ops pointed out - so a degree of leniency will be in operation. It's all about discovery, so the less well-known the better.

VETO PANEL FOR THIS ROUND: Eric Generic, Phoenix123, Baby Clyde, Kamikaze Heart.

Song submissions will be accepted for 7 days, beginning FRIDAY JULY 19TH.

Current submissions (and veto status):

Kermit The Frog [approved]
    ladygagaogaga [approved]
    Pye [approved]
    Sophia Sophia [approved]
    lauc05 [approved]
    NecessaryVoodoo [approved]
    Andrew & The Nouns [approved]
    mump boy [approved]
    Baby Clyde [approved]
    WowWowWowWow [approved]
    Keifer3194 [approved]
    MollieSwift21 [approved]
    fistcity [approved]
    phoenix123 [approved]
    acrimonious mammoth [approved]
    ops [approved]
    chanex [approved]
    BML [approved]
    imaduck [approved]
    Omar God [approved]
    citioig [approved]
    Mister Unicorn [approved]
    vikeyeol [approved]
    charley [approved]
    James Jupiter [approved]
    nnnumb [approved]
    KamikazeHeart [approved]
    Bleu Noir [approved]
    Fire [approved]
    unnameable [approved]
    Laurence Nope [approved]
    Malestrom [approved]
    Eric Generic [approved]
    gezza76 [approved]
    invertedbutterfly 2 [approved]
    hudweiser [approved]
    idratherjack [approved]
    dennis [approved]
    popknark2 [approved]
    Zarjazz [approved]
    backstreetjoe [approved]
    soratami [approved]

THE SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE HAS NOW CLOSED. THANKS TO EVERYONE TAKING PART!

Let the fun begin.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    invertedbutterfly likes this.
  2. Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

VOTES N' STUFF

As soon as "the list" goes public, you may view, peruse, click upon, check out, or listen to the submissions in any order you desire, for 2 weeks until August 10th 2013 (or you can pretend to have passed judgement over each of the 40+ entries whilst listening to Born To Die for the 259th time this week. Nobody will know. Except you. Can you live with the guilt?).

At this point, who has chosen what will still remain a mystery wrapped around a riddle, hidden inside an enigma.

HOW TO HAND OUT YOUR POINTS:

12 points: this will be your favorite
    10 points: this will be your second favorite
    8 points: ...your third favorite
    7 points: ...and so on....
    6 points: ...and on....
    5 points: ...............
    4 points: ...............
    3 points: ...............
    2 points: ...............
    1 point: until you reach your 10th favorite.

Don't try and tell us there aren't 10 entries here you don't like, mmkay?

WHAT TO DO NEXT

PM your points scorecard to the host (that's me for this round), making sure not to vote for your own choice. Feel free to get creative when topping and tailing your PM, throwing out mini-awards and flooring us all with your dashing wit.

If there is a tie (between songs, not on your special guest announcer), priority goes to the song that gets the higher amount of higher points. For example, if Song A got two 12, while Song B got just one, Song A finishes higher (I copied this bit. It's quite technical, isn't it).

To recap: VOTING IS OPEN UNTIL 10PM UK TIME, ON AUGUST 10TH. The reveal will begin on AUGUST 11TH, AT APPROX. 9PM, and will continue/conclude from 9PM the next day. I won't be able to work at the rate of some hosts!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

So, to clarify, is this contest themed as long as songs are 1990's or earlier? Or was that a sort of theme to begin with?

Sorry that I didn't understand from the decade of discussion that went on in the original thread.

5. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Yes, to clarify....every round will have a theme of sorts, but the one thing in common will be that no song can be from after 1999.

6. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Okay, thank you! I'll most likely participate.

7. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Excellent! I'll copy and paste phoenix123's list of suggsted themes as a starting point.

--------------------------------------

Some themes:

Decades
    Boybands / Girl Groups etc
    #1s
    One Hit Wonders
    "Album acts" - Acts not well known for significant singles success
    Amazing "flop" singles (failed to reach UK Top 40 / US Hot 100)
    Singles that should have been (album tracks / demos etc)
    Duets / Features / Collaborations / Side Projects etc
    Foreign Language
    Instrumentals
    Genres (Rock/Dance/Acid/Hip Hop etc - might be difficult to define)

8. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

I suppose I should put myself forward for the veto panel.

9. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Yay! I don't mind volunteering for the veto panel. As an opening theme how about a decade? The 90's seemed quite popular in the PJSC thread.

10. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Good man. I think from the PJSCHQ thread that about 3 people are needed for the panel? If the host has to be one by default, that's fine, but if not then I'd be happy to let someone else be part of the trio.

11. A&E

A&E

Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Ops will surely be happy to have a contest named after him!

12. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Anything to get his Little Boots avatars in here!

13. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

I'll gladly volunteer for the veto panel. Being 21 years old would be my strength, and weakness, I suppose.

With that said, I can't communicate with anything but my cell phone until Saturday, so I won't be able to be too active in the initial discussions.

14. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Wahey!

15. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Hopefully there won't be too many issues with ineligible songs. For me, as long as the chosen track fits the theme and didn't come out after 1999, that'll be good enough.

16. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Are you sure having a 99 cut off in addition to the other themes is a good idea? It would make more sense for the 99 cut off to be the theme itself now, and then next time around we could have another separate theme, etc.

Having both restrictions in one contest is kind of unappealing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  17. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Is that the rule ??

I have no objection to newer songs if there's another theme

If we did male singers or R&B for example, would they have to be before 2000 ?!!

i thought the idea was stop having to plough through the same female, scandi, electro songs from the last 6 months not to only enter older songs

I'd be happy with a load of men from anytime, specific decades, genres, etc etc. I don't think the themes need to be particularly strict either as long as they bring some variety

18. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Beat me to it

19. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

Well, I don't mind if people want to have some post-99 stuff in certain rounds. But in some ways, an Oldies SC wouldn't be quite an Oldies SC if recent stuff were included. I'm not too fussed either way, we can just see how it goes. I merely thought a 1999 cut-off point might give some clarity, and then all manner of weird and wonderful themes could be covered using 1999 as an end-point.

20. Re: PJOPS Song Contest - Round 1 (Preliminary Discussions & Related Stuff - Song Submissions begin 1

The 1999 cut off is reasonable to me it'll make me think more about submitting entries and if I want to submit recent stuff I'll do it in the main contest although if some noughties stuff is allowed or at the very least have it as a separate theme. I'd say there should be a cut off point of 2005/2006 it wouldn't be right if there were entries from 2008 onwards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.