❃ PJSC 113: APRIL FOOLERY ❃ Reveals done!

Me to myself:

I say this like every round but how are you always so robbed.

Kinda wish I hadn't made that comment over in the Retro thread about not taking these contests too seriously, because I really want to have a strop. I'm sucking so bad at PJSC lately. It's exhausting being this mediocre!

BUT congrats to @Zar-Unity on your big win and thanks @soratami for hosting the round! Teaming me with Melba was inspired.

979.gif

Damn what a result! Big thanks to all the Vylet fans this month, it's rather encouraging that we can go for noisy, glitchy hyperpop and brony bangers while still finding an audience here that enjoys it lmao

Cannons and Yola slaying is good to see, and shoutout to Hamish Hawk sneaking into the top 10, definitely wouldn't have called that!

Congrats @Zar-Unity on the first win - Cannons weren't far off my votes, this isn't my favourite song by them but they are pretty consistently enjoyable so definitely a decent winner.

I love how I somehow got a 12 from @Filler even when sending a song that is markedly not my usual style. Thanks to @DJHazey, @klow and @daninternational for the other 12s, I can't remember if I have ever got as many as 4 of those in the same contest before! Matching my best ever result in this, I'm glad selling my soul to the French pop industry paid off otherwise I would hate myself forever. France is doing pretty good of late I guess, if you count the low bar of not electing a Putin puppet fascist as their president.

Happy to see Doechii and Salt Ashes also in the top 10, and Hamish Hawk being up there is a nice surprise as well, that was literally 11th in my ranking iirc and I thought it was a shame to cut out as I thought it probably wouldn't get many points, just a little bit off with that guess! Most of the rest of my faves all bunching up in the midtable, I voted for all but one of the songs in that 17th-23rd section! Happy to see Kae Tempest not being done too dirty here (although I saw the couple of slanderous comments x), fresh off the back of their first top 10 album in the UK and all. Would have liked a better result for Sipper but wasn't really expecting one, still another artist for me to keep an eye on in the future.

Thanks for the hosting @soratami and I have an entry lined up for the next one already which I hope might also do reasonably well.

I thought it had certain elements of a possible winner but the chorus didn't come together. Also the PJSC fam is probably too cool for this now and half of the next round will sound like Hamish Hawk.

But really, if this round taught me something, it's that there's definitely no way you can predict any result here. A song we collectively called a PJ-catnip during the w2g session coming joint last? Spoken-word piece snatching top 20? Male vocal ballad with quirky lyrics having a top 10 finish? One of the most instant songs in PJSC history not having a top 10 finish? It's all makeitmakesense.gif but it definitely leaves me hopeful for some of my potential entries I've already labelled as 'flops' and I like that.
This contest is definitely unpredictable, and each subsequent round proves it.

Kinda wish I hadn't made that comment over in the Retro thread about not taking these contests too seriously, because I really want to have a strop. I'm sucking so bad at PJSC lately. It's exhausting being this mediocre!

Haha, I'm having a total flop year over here too. You're flawless, let's be flops together!

But really, if this round taught me something, it's that there's definitely no way you can predict any result here. A song we collectively called a PJ-catnip during the w2g session coming joint last? Spoken-word piece snatching top 20? Male vocal ballad with quirky lyrics having a top 10 finish? One of the most instant songs in PJSC history not having a top 10 finish? It's all makeitmakesense.gif but it definitely leaves me hopeful for some of my potential entries I've already labelled as 'flops' and I like that.
This contest is definitely unpredictable, and each subsequent round proves it.

I'm trying to be more left field on occasion, I'm just so far not very good at it! Maybe next time...

I'm stoked with a top 20 placement for "Home Maker"! Sudan Archives is a singer and violinist whose last album Athena is a perennial favourite of mine - this is the first taste of her next one, and it seems like she's adopting a bigger and more accessible sound, though it's still a little out of the box for this contest. Anyway, I'm very glad to see some of you liked it enough to give it points, and so thanks are due to:

12: @2014 @TéléDex
7: @daninternational @cleosnatchra
6: @CaliDevotion
5: @Cotton Park
4: @Attis
1: @rawkey @Carel

Thanks @soratami for great hosting once again!

Well done to @Zar-Unity on the win - with what I think is probably not even Cannons' best song! Live footage of me crossing "Fire For You" and "Bad Dream" off the potentials list:

giphy.gif

Well done also especially to @Carel for medalling with "La Macarena" which I instantly added to my best of 2022 playlist upon first hearing it. @CaliDevotion missing out on the top 10 was daylight robbery, but perhaps it means we'll see FLO back when they release their next single.

See you all in 114!

He/Him
I hope I fooled you all with my very unBerkserky (but still fantastic) entry, since the theme was April Foolery! Ddd

(Though really the title is almost an English Translation of Mourir Sur Scene, if you think of Scene as a Disco Dancefloor dd)

Stan excellence etc

upload_2022-4-27_13-58-32.png

I figure Sora and me being the only ones to like this should have given me a pretty good idea of how reveals were going when I woke up ddd

12 @Maki (I love that you love my songs even when they purposefully don't sound like my songs dd)
7 @saviodxl @iheartpoptarts @seven.
6 @Up N Down @WoW73 @Filler
5 @soratami
4 @Untouchable Ace
3 @If You Go
2 @ufint @TéléDex
1 @Inland Empire

Congrats @Zar-Unity !! Well deserved for all the obscure greatness you've brought to us over the years (and making Najoua a firm favourite when you sent Tu Me Laisses Aller a few years ago <3), glad you won with a deserving track! Although I didn't give you points (and had Purple Sun on my longlist dd) - Cannons make a great act to win PJSC!

@soratami - excellent reveals as ever, merci for the show (and guessing I got a Koala for Team #Australia?)

Congrats to the other medallists too - it's very nice to see a combo of @Zar-Unity @Attis @Carel - very unusual for PJSC and I love it!! <3

Hey I have been so happy and inspired that I already have the next thread of PJSC 114 ready to go, but should I post it tonight or wait a few day's first? Who here is very eager to submit their next bop right now!?

This will be my first time hosting on Popjustice, although I did host before on another community song contest. So I'm already kinda prepared but feel free to help guide me to perfection with any good advice that you have. I've been enjoying the new Cannons album on repeat the whole time that I was setting up the new thread and graphic. What a fantastic night! Oh and if you loved Hurricane, you also need to hear this amazing chill reggae styled bop by Cannons that a few others have already mentioned!

Thank you to everyone for congratulating me on my very first Popjusice win!
It means a lot and I'll be honored to be your host for the next round!

Last edited: