PJSC 138: Extreme Maki-nations - WINNER(S) CROWNED

He/Him
Thanks to everyone for participating in this round - and special thanks to those who bought into the side theme and took part in my little experiment! I'm truly sorry that things were a little bumpy with reveals today and hope it didn't diminish anyone's enjoyment too much. Excel is definitely not my happy place, much as I otherwise enjoy hosting these contests! I do think everything should be correct now and all the results are posted on the first page.

Big thanks to @Maki for providing the inspiration for this round as well as putting up with the puns and general ribaldry - you're a good sport and JONES was my big discovery of the month. Big thanks to @imaduck for jumping into assist with my Excel emergencies today. And big thanks to @berserkboi for finding the loophole that I had missed and keeping things interesting. I'm glad we're coming out of this month's contest with two worthy winners (and let's be honest, the results weren't otherwise going to be all that different between the two contests).

Big congratulations to @livefrommelbs on the win and to the medalists @daninternational and @If You Go. I feel like it's rare that I end up giving points to all three of the medalists, but I truly loved all three of your entries. In general, I thought the field was very strong this month and I came away with more than 10 songs for my 2024 playlist (which I've already been bopping to for several weeks)! I do keep breaking out into MF Diamond in front of my children, which I need to work on...

The last time I won PJSC, I followed it up with the tiny crown. Happy to have escaped that fate this month, though I would have liked to see LASTLINGS fare a little better! Ah well, now to start stressing about what to enter next month. Thanks all. Xx

He/Him
@berserkboi waltzing in after finding a loophole to exploit:
eTCppG4.gif

@If You Go @WowWowWowWow @WoW73 @Lego @londonrain @klow @soratami @CaliDevotion @Untouchable Ace @Attis naming me Benefactor Of The Month:
Dalida7.ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.7afe7bd29747408e8d452f26fb1dd50f.gif

@livefrommelbs @daninternational @pop3blow2 @undisco_me @saviodxl @Dynamo @Rogue @iheartpoptarts @Tiger Suit @2014 naming me Scumbag Of The Year:
Dalida.ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.e98e185dab2b4b3c11f13cdcf550d7bc.gif

The last gif is actually of Dalida performing Femme Est La Nuit so have it here babes:

Thank you to icons supporting icons @undisco_me (I really wish I had given the -100 to Carel now but figured his entry was gonna suffer enough anyway after making us suffer yet still placed above me ff) @Up N Down @klow @TéléDex @Maki @soratami - I *love* this take of Femme Est La Nuit from Clea-Lida! Sounds like Dalida produced by Desireless for an French/Italian Assassin movie!

Amazing round run expertly by @cdd216 - the iconography just does not relent! Well done to the real winner @If You Go *wink* but also @livefrommelbs ! Best case scenario in that I'll actually properly get reveals at a time I am likely to be awake fff

he / him
CXLOE achieved her highest position since 'Till the Wheels Fall Off' (which only got to fifth!). I'm a very proud fan.

Give her new album a spin, will you? Shapeshifter is very indicative of the sound shes inhibiting and it's bloody nice to see a PJSC artist get an album out.

I didn't even send her this round but I did try to. Honestly I was stuck after my first entry was vetoed and Cxloe was taken so I took Blusher before they came back out of auto-veto for their other songs... if anyone was complaining I should've sent the newer ones instead, there's your answer ha.

(And before someone cries veto privilege, I was one of said attempted entrants!)

Last edited:
Meant to post about this yesterday but kinda forgot - thanks to the 7 people who voted for Wednesday, primarily my regular PopJustice bae @Filler for the 10 points and @klow and @Lego for 7 each, but also @undisco_me, @HarryEzra, @Phonetics Girl and @pop3blow2 for the remaining spattering of points. After coming 31st in each of the last two contests I've shattered that by coming 30th this time! In all seriousness I am pleasantly surprised to avoid the bottom 10, this was one of those months where I realised right on the deadline that I hadn't entered and didn't have a song nor the time to look for one so I plucked something a bit leftfield out of my archives to see if it could find at least a fan or two while lightly trolling everyone else. It is a really great song imo but was never going to delude myself into thinking the majority of people wouldn't find the last few minutes very offputting (especially after the recent slander towards Lingua Ignota).

and I'll count it as a personal victory that I finished higher than that 'Every Queen' song - Drag Race music is not made for me and I'm rarely a fan of it (there have been a few bangers here and there though) and more power to anyone who finds this song empowering or whatever but good god that was tough to listen to without wanting to tear my ears off

I do actually have something more palatable in mind for the next contest although watch it somehow do worse!

Well done @livefrommelbs for the win, a not entirely unlistenable song. Neither of the top 2 made it to my list of commiserations oops but that is made up for a bit by my 12 pointer coming 3rd, great stuff there, I also noticed when reading the YouTube comments that Chelsey Crowley is the singer from Nuovo Testamento who I remember also really enjoying an entry on here from before.

Omg if I flop, I'm going to take it so personally...
e4f75726d9f8fcdc7265ff8b11a13f43.gif

It's just one of those rounds!
Well, we're just going to pretend top 20 is the new top 10! Goals achieved!
Thanks to the point-givers, especially @Derek & @TéléDex for the 12s!

Also it may very well have been me who added the JONES song on w2g, you're welcome @Maki.

Congratulations @livefrommelbs, now i'll never get to send a girli song myself but that's what I get for passing up on Crush Me Up last round ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for hosting @cdd216, it was certainly one of my favourite PJSCs!

and I'll count it as a personal victory that I finished higher than that 'Every Queen' song - Drag Race music is not made for me and I'm rarely a fan of it (there have been a few bangers here and there though) and more power to anyone who finds this song empowering or whatever but good god that was tough to listen to without wanting to tear my ears off

but replace Question with Round

Random question - I've consulted @imaduck RE: getting the sheets set up, but do I have to PM the veto panel or anything too? It's been literal years since I've hosted and my sieve-like memory is drawing a blank.

Also, for everyone's sake - it's like the thread will open either Sunday PM Australia time now, or Monday AM. I'm OOO the rest of today and tomorrow AM.

Either way, start preparing your entries!

Random question - I've consulted @imaduck RE: getting the sheets set up, but do I have to PM the veto panel or anything too? It's been literal years since I've hosted and my sieve-like memory is drawing a blank.

Also, for everyone's sake - it's like the thread will open either Sunday PM Australia time now, or Monday AM. I'm OOO the rest of today and tomorrow AM.

Either way, start preparing your entries!
My entry:

1716620867021.gif

Thanks so much for all of the various points! And for bringing me back to the top 10 with help from @Jeffo (With all of the machinations I Still didn't get a complete scorecard but thanks for the 9 in particular.)
But also especially to @saviodxl for 2 12s in a row in the PJSC. (Alfie deserved better.)

102 @berserkboi
12 @saviodxl @Lego
10 @WowWowWowWow @londonrain
9 @Phonetics Girl
7 @Tiger Suit @HarryEzra
6 @cdd216
5 @iheartpoptarts
4 @2014 @If You Go @livefrommelbs
3 @MilesAngel
2 @Hurricane Drunk @WoW73
1 @TéléDex

HM @Maki

Finishing 4th & 2nd in the same round while still also missing my elusive bronze in the PJSC (Remember I finished third in PJSC when I hosted, but was upgraded to Silver.)

The right formula for the perfect crowd pleasing song is for the artist to collaborate with his audience.

(Even from just the screenshot yes @iheartpoptarts Blanks would make a great children's show host.)

I guess lately what works is finding something released recently. But if I find something amazing from years ago it will just be for me only.
(Case in point, I should have stuck with House Of Cards last round.)

Thanks @cdd216 and well done to @livefrommelbs, I thought it sounded like a contender.