PJSC 139: The Challengers Edition (WINNER REVEALED!)

Hello cuties, welcome to
PJSC 139: The Challengers Edition.

challengers-movie-metro-goldwyn-mayer-embed.jpg

This month, we'll be taking inspiration from Luca Guadagnino's sexy, synth-filled film about tennis-coded love triangles, 'Challengers'. Along with our usual PJSC shenanigans and tomfoolery, of course.

But don't be fooled - we're not just talking tennis, salivating over shirtless, sweaty bodies and engaging in bi-curious threeways (although, if that's your bag, go right ahead). Instead, our side theme draws inspiration from the idea of a hotshot (Mike Faist) and a hasbeen (Josh O'Connor) vying for the attention of Zendaya.

200.gif

Only, in the context of this metaphor, the hotshot and the hasbeen are two previous PJSC entries of varying success - and Zendaya is the PJSC cohort.​

It sounds complicated, but it's not. I promise.
Along with your usual PJSC entry, I'd love for you to SUBMIT TO ME VIA PM two of your previous PJSC entries. One is the 'hotshot' - a song that placed between 4th and 15th in any previous PJSC round. The other, is a 'hasbeen' - a song that placed lower than 16th. (We're leaving medallists out as they've had their moment).

Once we have our participant list, I'll randomly select either your 'hasbeen' or 'hotshot' entry - and pit it against an opposing entry from another PJSC user (eg. If your hasbeen entry is chosen, you will go tet-a-tet with someone else's hotshot submission). Over the course of the voting period, we'll have 'Challenges', where the PJSC voters will decide if the hotshot entry is indeed the winning choice, or if the hasbeen deserves a little extra love.

If there's an odd number of participants, I'll throw in another one of my iconic, perfect and unerappreciated entries in at random. And if you don't want to choose your own entries, just submit your PJSC song as per usual and I'll pick two songs of yours that fit the bill.

Please note: This isn't a typical legends round, where we submit anonymously and whittle it down to one winner. It's just an opportunity to spotlight various entries of varying degrees of success - and have a little extra fun along the way.

Now, the usual housekeeping:

Introduction​

Popjustice Song contest is a music contest focused on discovering new music, each participant picks a song by a lesser known artist or new discovery and pits this song against other unknown or new songs.

Submission/Veto​

The song you have chosen should be submitted by the provided google sheet.
Your song will then be judged by the veto panel, if it scores 3 Yes votes it will go through to the main contest.
If you are vetoed you will need to resubmit an entry, you must do this via google sheets and PM the host to let them know that you have sent another song.
To Check if your song has been entered before, please use the PJSC Song List
-

Things that will effect your veto score, but not necessary veto
- Previously submitted artist (3 being generally the upper limit unless significant time has passed)
- Doing well in a previous round
- Forum threads or discussions (generally under 10 pages is ok, but not in all cases)
- Double submission of song
- Multiple submission of artist
- Reality TV contestant
- Notable personalities (who aren't necessary singers)
- Mentions by PJ on social media (but not on the website)
- Features in PJSC song of the week or featured in spotify playlist
- Blog precence (non PJ)
- Large view counts on youtube (no exact science here, but upload time and international audience are taken into account)
- Big artist in another country
- Lesser hits / album tracks from well known K-Pop acts
- People with features on hits
- Covers of lesser known songs
- Samples of lesser known songs
- Artists that have had minor UK hits
- Vocalists from featured producer songs (e.g. A*M*E from 100%)

Things that will be vetoed for
- Winners of the PJSC
- An artist that has been entered within 3 contests (Artist entered on contest 1 is banned from 2,3 & 4, becoming eligible during contest 5)
- An artist that has been vetoed previously (Artist vetoed on contest 1 is banned from 2,3 & 4, becoming eligible during contest 5)
- Songs that have already been entered
- Songs from artists with large PJ thread (20+ will usually be vetoed, but not in all cases)
- Songs that have entered the UK top 40
- Songs from artists that have had significant UK hits
- 3 or more submissions of that song
- A song that is featured on the front page (in a solo article) in the last 3 months (another song by the artist or remix of the same song can be chosen and may clear veto)
- Songs involved in the current eurovision cycle up to and including the month of the contest (even if the contest is cancelled, original dates are respected)
- Songs that have significant (non regional) radio play (check this via http://comparemyradio.com/)
- Covers of well known songs
- Samples of well known songs
- Big hits / big singles from well known K-Pop acts
- Major K-Pop acts (2NE1, f(x), SHINee, Girl's Generation)

Voting​

After the song list is revealed you have period of time where you are able to submit your votes, you should vote using the traditional Eurovision style points system (12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1) with the top marks going to your favorite, and 1 going to your 10th favorite, and remember you cannot vote for your own entry.

Please make your song submissions by Monday, June 3 at 11:59pm (last time zone, and all that) via the form linked HERE.

Contest Timeline:

Submissions:
May 27 - June 3
Voting: June 4 - June 22
Main Contest Reveals: June 23rd or so

(Weekend tennis matches/threeways permitting)

Ready, sweadies?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
RESULTS

4z95qml0n67c1.gif

1. Metteson - Waves // Disco Blister 113

2. SNOW WIFE - WET DREAM // soratami 91
3. Kanii, Riovaz & Nimstarr - Tell Me // Dynamo 86
4. Essosa - Only One // Rogue 83
5. Juliana Gattas - Borracha En Un Baño Ajeno // Carel 82
6. Jessica Shy - Žvaigždes // undisco_me 79
6. FLØRE - Monster // Million_Lights 79