PJXtra 4: CLUB TROPICANA - We have a WINNER! Results start p.22 | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

PJXtra 4: CLUB TROPICANA - We have a WINNER! Results start p.22

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Doodvid, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Haha! The level of pettiness of jumping up to leave the restaurant ahead of Andrea after completely decimating her argument is what I aspire to in life on a daily basis.

2. She married two of my best friends late last year and I got to meet her. All i would say is... she is a professional. Warm enough, but definitely not 'friendly'.

I've also met Jackie at a gay club a few years back, who literally told me to 'shine it up'. A moment.

3. The fact that they met at a restaurant, didn't order anything, argued for five minutes and then left...

4. Welcome to the Real Housewives franchise.

5. Andrea is me if anyone ever calls me the f-word (flop) in one of these contests.

6. Have you heard Gamble’s musical output? Future PJSC winner material for sure.

7. Andrea's Liberty Belle Clinic is literally 5 minutes up the road from me! @livefrommelbs @Untouchable Ace & myself strolling there together in a few years to get our Botox injections! Dddd

[​IMG]

8. I had no idea I was in the orbit of actual celebrities on here. *swoon*

9. Andrea, manning the front desk, when she sees our tired faces walking through the door:

[​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

(One of my all time favourite comebacks for how dismissive it was! Dddd)

11. @berserkboi, as the song contest hunties react to another of his “10pts - no score” ballots.

[​IMG]

12. This thread overnight to me.
    [​IMG]

13. [​IMG]

14. Captain Hook, Captain Hook, and Peter Pan!
    Captain Hook, Captain Hook, in Neverland!
    You're such a crook, Captain Hook,
    One can tell by your look, oh Captain Hook!

BOP

15. That was a fabulous little diversion into the world of scripted reality TV and exactly the kinda laughs I needed right now - thanks all!

Back to my last summer spotlight before desperately trying to get some sleep (it's gone past 2am here)

Ooh it's a goodie...

[​IMG]

Loona - 'Mamboleo'
    Submitted by @Conan

Another one I'm loathe to admit that I hadn't heard until very recently (I'm so sorry @iheartpoptarts) but is certain to become a permanent feature on my summer playlist.

Loona (not that Loona etc.) has popped up briefly in one of the earlier write-ups due to her cover of Paradisio's 'Bailando' but dare I say that 'Mamboleo' feels superior in every way to that particular song...(I'm so sorry @iheartpoptarts pt 2). Multilingual Dutch legend Loona - amiright @WoW73 ? - is best known for her summer dance pop sensibility and this track is very much representative of her back catalogue.
    *immediately buys everything she's recorded and instantly regrets it*

This single was released in 1999 and hit #3 in Germany amongst other territories. However 'Mamboleo' caused copyright controversy as it was an unauthorised cover of 'Mambo' by Herbert Grönemeyer (shrug) and as a consequence it was quickly removed from future pressings of Loona's flop second album 'Entre dos aguas'. Due to an impeding lawsuit, the song had a second black and white video produced (not quite sure how this would've avoided legal action, but go off Loona) although eventually both were banned by music video stations and each received just one solitary day on air. As if to drive the point home, the original 'Mamboleo' is absent from Spotify. Homophobia in action.

Loona overcame this disappointment (but clearly didn't learn her lesson) by what we shall refer to forever more as "doing a Kate Ryan"* and proceeded to churn out dance cover versions of vastly more successful artists than herself for the remainder of her career. Indeed 21 of her first 42 singles were covers. Whew.

*c.f Kelly Llorenna

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  16. I'm glad my summer bop brought so much entertainment! I can't really add much more than @Doodvid did other than I think Solnce was a #1 hit in Russian hence why I wasn't keeping it for a future entry, though with a digital footprint this bad...

17. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

"Maybe Lydia can wash your vagina with it..."

Gina did not come to play.

[​IMG]

18. Yeah, @Doodvid - she's Dutch.
    For all Helene fans on here: do not listen to this one:

19. [​IMG]

浜崎あゆみ / Ayumi Hamasaki - 'Blue Bird'
    Submitted by @vague

Ladies, we are in the presence of a living legend.

Ayumi Hamasaki, or 'Empress of J-pop' as she is also known, is the best selling Japanese artist of all time with sales of over 50 million records, has the record for the most #1 hits by a female artist (38 in total), and had a staggering run of 25 consecutive #1 singles between 2002 and 2010. A fashion icon, TV star, Hello Kitty collaborator...Hamasaki has done it all in a spectacular music career spanning 22 years and counting.

The song 'Blue Bird' was released in June 2006, her 40th single (these Japanese icons deliver) and quickly became Hamasaki's 27th chart topper, beating that week's #2 by over 100k sales, and the success of this track confirmed her as Japan's first solo star to sell 20 million singles. It was originally slated to be released as a triple A side (remember those?!) but 'Blue Bird' eventually and deservedly took the spotlight.

On the CD was a pretty bangin' trance dance remix included here especially for @WowWowWowWow. Enjoy!

20. I've also been adding each 'Summer Fave' track to a Spotify playlist (found below) should you feel the desire to catch up/bop along. The only songs completely missing so far (for me at least) are 'Summer Dance' by Lee Jung-hyun and the original 1999 release of 'Mamboleo' by Loona.

I'll put this on the first page of the thread, beneath the participant list.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.