PJXtra 5 - Table Manners Edition - Winner Announced! | The Popjustice Forum

PJXtra 5 - Table Manners Edition - Winner Announced!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by klow, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Good morning girls, gays, and their various associates; welcome to Episode 5 of PJXtra.

I'm your host, @klow, who rode in on beginner's luck and Chilean disco strings to victory in @Doodvid and @WoW73's Club Tropicana iteration of this contest.

Honoured and humbled to be helming this edition, I have two questions for you to answer.

One: what's the best song you know released on or after 1 January 2000, in any language that isn't English or Spanish, and that doesn't fall foul of the "veto criteria" listed under the spoiler tag below? (I know; easy, right?)

Two: what's your pleasure?!?

[​IMG]

Yes, for the side theme this round, we are taking inspiration from Ms Jessica Lois Ware, who, in between releasing her disco magnum opus What's Your Pleasure?, climbing over her personal trainer husband, renovating her house, posting dubiously Zionist content on Instagram, taking care of her two children, and releasing a kids' clothing line, manages to host a food-themed podcast with her mother.

[​IMG]

This podcast is called Table Manners, has allegedly received more than 80 million downloads, and recently spawned a now-bestselling cookbook. The format is simple - Jessie and her mother invite a celebrity guest to their house, cook them a meal, and record the dinner party conversation. Episodes have been recorded via Zoom during the pandemic, but the concept remains the same.

Guests have included trans rights icons Munroe Bergdorf and Nigella Lawson, Buffalo poseuse Neneh Cherry, queen of swords Carly Rae Jepsen, bake-off doyennes Mel & Sue and Sandi Toksvig, ex-GA member Cheryl, ex-1D member Liam, ex-Spice Melanies B and C, Ross from Friends, Dula Peep, Sadiq Khan, and...Rick Astley.

One question asked of all guests on the podcast is what would be the last meal you would have if you were going away to a desert island for a year? This is the question I'd like you to answer for the side theme.

The ideal answer will contain a starter, main course, dessert, and drink and should be your ultimate menu. But if all you'd want is a serving of hot chips doused in oil and salt, then who am I to judge?

Please be as descriptive and specific as you like. It could be something very elaborate, or a simple meal you ate with your family as a child that you associate with happy memories. It could be your favourite ice cream or something you ate on a holiday once and have never forgotten. If you wish to set the scene by describing where and with whom you're eating the meal, that embellishment will also be warmly received! There are no extra points if your food originates in the same region as your chosen song, but if you can manage that synergy, then I salute you.

If you aren't interested in the side theme at all, then don't let that prevent you from entering the contest. It is optional and our main focus here, of course, is the music.

[​IMG]

TL;DR:

1) Submit a song to me in a PM by 8:59 AM Friday 11 September AEST / 11:59 PM Thursday 10 September BST that is a) good and b) also fits the following criteria:

- is sung in any language other than that of the winning song from the most recent PJXtra contest (in this case - Spanish) and features less than 20% approximately of English lyrics.
    - hasn’t charted in the top 3 anywhere in the world and isn’t a Eurovision Song Contest entry (non-qualifying national final songs are eligible).
    - is performed by an artist with 30 pages or less of dedicated discussion on the Popjustice forum & didn’t participate in the most recent PJXtra competition.
    - hasn’t previously been entered into either PJSC, PJ00s or PJXtra. Use the linked spreadsheets to check.
    - if it is a cover version, is subject to certain criteria including if the song being covered is already famous/successful.​

When submitting your song, please include the name of the artist, title of the song, link to the song on Youtube and Spotify (if possible), the language of the lyrics, and the year it was released.

2) The submitted songs, once approved by our jury of gourmands, will be revealed at some stage on Friday 11 September.

3) From the selected songs, you will be able to choose 10 favourites and award them points in a ballot as follows:

12 points : your favourite song of the contest
    10 points : 2nd place
    8 points: 3rd place
    7 points: and so on
    6 points: and so forth
    5 points: you get the point
    4 points: stop go
    3 points: fast slow
    2 points: here together
    1 point: what's your pleasure rahhh.

You cannot vote for the song you submitted. Please keep your ballots secret!

4) Once your ballot is finalised, please send it to me via PM by Thursday October 1 (time to be determined). Failure to vote will mean your submitted song's points will be halved when the final tally is calculated.

5) In the same PM, or at any time by separate PM before results are revealed, please provide your answer to the question: what would be the last meal you would have if you were going away to a desert island for a year?

6) Results, and our ultimate menus, will be revealed in tandem on Friday October 2.

7) If you have any questions about the contest at all, please post in the thread or send me a PM and I will do my best to respond.

[​IMG]

Bon appétit, bébés.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. PJXTRA 5

[​IMG]

Amalia Gulmyradowa - Ucalymy
    Anna Sedokova - Пока Милый
    AOA - 10 Seconds
    Beatrice Egli - Bunt
    Benjamin - Orgasmi
    Brian The Sun - Heroes
    charisma.com - Subliminal Diet / サプリミナル・ダイエット
    Doda - Nie mam dokąd wracać
    Eli Rose - Carrousel
    Elodie - Andromeda
    FIESTAR - One More
    Georgia Ruth - Madryn
    Kim-Lian - Dansen in het Moeras
    Madeline Juno - Automatisch
    Maja Marković - Ja mogu sve
    Małe TGD i Roksana Węgiel - Nie z tej ziemi
    Mauvais Œil - Mektoub
    Max Nicolas Maria von Nachtsheim - Jetskis In Ruinen
    Medina - Til den lyse morgen
    Mimi Oh - Kom hit och dansa
    mini - Are You Ready
    Molly Sanden - Va det då?
    Navii - J'écoute du Miles Davis
    Partenaire Particulier - Faudra M'Expliquer
    Rad Museum - Tiny Little Boy (feat. DEAN)
    Shirley Clamp - Eviga längtan
    Sıla - Afitap
    Thibaut Pez - Que Tu Meures
    Tina Arena - Je m'appelle Bagdad
    Tresor - Sondela (feat. Msaki)
    Vera - Anders
    Zlata Mai - Кассиопея
    Zoi - Jasno mi je

Notes on the Spotify playlist:

The following tracks are missing:
    Vera - Anders

The following tracks are on the playlist, but not available in my territory, so they may also not be available in yours:
    mini - Are You Ready
    (Check to see if there's anything greyed out in your territory before you hit play!)

Finally, Spotify in all its wisdom has mislabelled the song "Ja mogu sve" as "Ti i ja". The right song is in the playlist but if you search for it independently you might find yourself listening to something completely different.

Songs and their languages:

PM-Friendly List if you need it:
    Anna Sedokova - Пока Милый
    AOA - 10 Seconds
    Beatrice Egli - Bunt
    Benjamin - Orgasmi
    Brian The Sun - Heroes
    charisma.com - Subliminal Diet / サプリミナル・ダイエット
    Doda - Nie mam dokąd wracać
    Eli Rose - Carrousel
    Elodie - Andromeda
    FIESTAR - One More
    Georgia Ruth - Madryn
    Kim-Lian - Dansen in het Moeras
    Madeline Juno - Automatisch
    Maja Marković - Ja mogu sve
    Małe TGD i Roksana Węgiel - Nie z tej ziemi
    Mauvais Œil - Mektoub
    Max Nicolas Maria von Nachtsheim - Jetskis In Ruinen
    Medina - Til den lyse morgen
    mini - Are You Ready
    Molly Sanden - Va det då?
    Navii - J'écoute du Miles Davis
    Partenaire Particulier - Faudra M'Expliquer
    Rad Museum - Tiny Little Boy (feat. DEAN)
    Shirley Clamp - Eviga längtan
    Sıla - Afitap
    Thibaut Pez - Que Tu Meures
    Tina Arena - Je m'appelle Bagdad
    Tresor - Sondela (feat. Msaki)
    Vera - Anders
    Zlata Mai - Кассиопея
    Zoi - Jasno mi je

YouTube Playlist
    VOTE: By PM due 11:59PM Thursday 1 October GMT / 9:59AM Friday 2 October AEST (3 weeks from the close of submissions)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  3. FINAL STANDINGS

(reveals begin here)
    1 Anna Sedokova - Пока Милый // If You Go = 120
    2 Mimi Oh - Kom hit och dansa // WowWowWowWow = 110
    3 charisma.com - Subliminal Diet / サプリミナル・ダイエット // BeingNormal = 102
    4 FIESTAR - One More // vague = 101
    5 Kim-Lian - Dansen in het Moeras // Sprockrooster = 94
    6 Tresor - Sondela (feat. Msaki) // klow = 93
    7 AOA - 10 Seconds // Hurricane Drunk = 91
    8 Beatrice Egli - Bunt // Conan = 89
    9 Madeline Juno - Automatisch // livefrommelbs = 88
    10 Medina - Til den lyse morgen // daninternational = 73
    11 mini - Are You Ready // TéléDex = 70
    12 Eli Rose - Carrousel // iheartpoptarts = 66
    13 Mauvais Œil - Mektoub // Derek = 65
    14 Tina Arena - Je m'appelle Bagdad // londonrain = 64
    15 Elodie - Andromeda // WoW73 = 59
    16 Benjamin - Orgasmi // saviodxl = 53
    16 Molly Sanden - Va det då? // ufint = 53
    16 Shirley Clamp - Eviga längtan // Doodvid = 53
    16 Zoi - Jasno mi je // Alenko = 53
    20 Doda - Nie mam dokąd wracać // Phonetics Boy = 46
    20 Małe TGD i Roksana Węgiel - Nie z tej ziemi // imaduck = 46
    22 Maja Marković - Ja mogu sve // Maki = 43
    23 Sıla - Afitap // Tiger Suit = 36
    23 Thibaut Pez - Que Tu Meures // Untouchable Ace = 36
    25 Vera - Anders // Filippa = 34
    26 Navii - J'écoute du Miles Davis // soratami = 33
    27 Zlata Mai - Кассиопея // EscapismIsAnotherPrison = 25
    28 Amalia Gulmyradowa - Ucalymy // Ana Raquel = 24
    28 Partenaire Particulier - Faudra M'Expliquer // berserkboi = 24
    30 Georgia Ruth - Madryn // pop3blow2 = 22
    31 Max Nicolas Maria von Nachtsheim - Jetskis In Ruinen // DominoDancing = 19
    31 Rad Museum - Tiny Little Boy (feat. DEAN) // Cotton Park = 19
    33 Brian The Sun - Heroes // Music Is Death = 10

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  4. A food and Jessie Ware-themed round?

[​IMG]

5. why did i see this before dinner i am hungry

6. This is already iconic!

[​IMG]

Let me ponder on what to submit for a bit, I have a few options to work through....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  7. Delectable theme! I've submitted and I'm hungry.

8. I edited the first post to clarify that it's fine to submit the side theme response when you send in your ballots.

Many thanks to the keen users who have flown out of the blocks with their submissions! You are keeping me fed.

9. I'd kill for a snack right now. Both types.

10. Entry sent, but my side theme choice is pending, because I'm indecisive about pretty much everything.

11. I haven't given this contest a go. I don't know if my non-English listening goes deep enough to participate all the time... but I think I do have a song for this round.

Always looking for a new contest to flop in!

12. Oop

I don't know how to describe the foods that I eat. It will be so ghetto compare to you all.

[​IMG]

13. Tagging previous participants who haven’t checked it in yet...

[​IMG]

@Alenko
    @citoig
    @cleosnatchra
    @Conan
    @Cotton Park

Bonsoir, and welcome to PJXtra 5. Are there any foreign language bops on your menu? Please share one with us!

14. Last one for now:

[​IMG]

@vague
    @WowWowWowWow
    @ysev

Calling all midnight callers, and midnight snacks: send us a foreign language tune for the ages!

15. I didn't see this on the master list when I was looking it over, but it would be fun to have a column on the spreadsheet for what language each submitted song was in. I know it's probably not really important to the overall utility of looking up previously entered songs, just thought it would be fun to see the most submitted languages, etc.

Maybe this info is complied somewhere else though & I missed it. I am new, so forgive me! ddd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.