PJXtra 8 // Can you pinpoint where you are? // We have a winner! | The Popjustice Forum

PJXtra 8 // Can you pinpoint where you are? // We have a winner!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ana Raquel, Mar 5, 2021.

1. [​IMG]

Here we are for another edition of PJXtra. Brought to you by me and “Doza”, the winning song of the last edition. Let’s hear it again:

If you are joining for the first time, welcome! If you are a returnee, welcome back! It’s great to see you here. First, let’s remember the rules, shall we?

Your entry:

• is sung in any language other than that of the winning song from the most recent PJXtra contest and features less than 20% approximately of English lyrics.​
    • hasn’t charted in the top 3 anywhere in the world and isn’t a Eurovision Song Contest entry (non-qualifying national final songs are eligible).​
    • is performed by an artist with 30 pages or less of dedicated discussion on the Popjustice forum & didn’t participate in the most recent PJXtra competition.​
    • hasn’t previously been entered into either PJSC, PJ00s or PJXtra.​
    • if it is a cover version, is subject to certain criteria including if the song being covered is already famous/successful.​
    The winning language of the past edition is not allowed this round, which means Croatian is banned. Also, Colonia can’t be sent for the next five editions, so their songs in other languages aren’t eligible either. Sorry!

Each round, once the list of successful songs is published, you listen to them all, choose your favourite ten and allocate points as follows:

12 points : your favourite song of the contest
    10 points : 2nd place
    8 points: 3rd place
    7 points
    6 points
    5 points
    4 points
    3 points
    2 points
    1 point

Please keep your ballots secret, sharing them only with the host(/s) who will reveal the results once voting closes. You are unable to vote for your entry and any non-voters have their final total halved!

By the way, in PJXtra 7 our dear @WoW73 proposed a challenge for the upcoming edition:

This is not mandatory in any way and you can send a song in any language you want (as long as it’s within the rules!), but I thought this would be fun so I encourage you to at least try it.

Participation:

Send your entry to me in a new conversation, including:
    Artist:
    Song:
    Year:
    Language:
    Link: (Youtube being the most recommended; Spotify would be appreciated if available)

After that, they will go to the veto panel, which will judge if your entry is eligible or not. In any case, you will be contacted as soon as a decision is reached, whichever the outcome is.

When the voting period starts, send your votes to me (as stated in the rules above) before the deadline.

Dates:

SUBMIT UNTIL MARCH 13TH
    (23h59 in the last timezone)

VOTE UNTIL APRIL 10TH

REVEALS: April 11th/12th, uhhhh sometime!!!

Just to keep in mind that my city is three hours behind GMT, so here is a clock for reference.

If you have any questions, do not be afraid to ask!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021

2. I had an idea of what to do for the side theme, and with some feedback from @WoW73 and @Doodvid, I could decide on how I’ll execute it. So, first of all, thank you!

The idea of exploring other languages and countries musically reminds me of my favorite subject in school: geography (to the point that I almost started graduation in the area). I am also obsessed with maps, since I was a kid. Mixing them all, one of my favorite hobbies was born:

[​IMG]

Playing Geoguessr!

In short, it’s a game where you have to find out where you are by a random point at street view. You can be on a famous touristic site, or on a deserted road. It depends on your luck (I once got an office in the middle of Uzbekistan dd it was fun). There are two modes: country streak, where you have to point the country you are in; and standard mode: where you have to point out the exact place you are. The closer you guess, the more points you receive (the maximum being 5,000 per round). There are five rounds in each play, so you can get up to 25,000 points.

HOWEVER, we are not using the site in this side theme. Instead, I saved some places while playing a few rounds myself. I’ll post one screencap I took and you will have to guess which country it is just by the picture.

For example:

[​IMG]

I just took this pic of a random Country Streak round. I’ll post a link (which is basically a forms) and you just have to put your username and the country you think it is. Only one guess per round is allowed. Even if you respond more than once, I’ll only consider your first answer.

(by the way, the country above is Guatemala)

If you guess correctly, you get a point. The one with the most points wins the side game (if there is a tie, we will have more than one winner - as I couldn’t think of a fair tie breaker dd).

Some extra information:

I’ll post the screencaps at a random time (aka depending on my sleeping schedule dddddd)
    I’ll let all rounds open until the ending of the voting in the main round, so that everyone has a chance to take their time and play. That also means I’ll only tell you the answer once the deadline is up. Your tries will be counted even if you didn’t answer to all rounds.
    All continents (except Antarctica) are represented at least once. There are no repetitions among countries.
    The side theme is optional. You don’t have to take part if you don’t feel like it. HOWEVER, please don’t flop me in my first time hosting I’m nice and I love you!!!!!!!!!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

3. Songs:

ABAO - kinakaian Mu Qin De She Tou
    Ania Bukstein & Offer Nissim - Rokedet
    Annalisa - Se avessi un cuore
    Aya Nakamura - Ailleurs
    Baby K, Tiziano Ferro - Killer
    Bishop Briggs - JEKYLL & HIDE
    Brigitte - À Bouche Que Veux-Tu
    Carina Dahl - Toppen av Norge
    Charlotte Adigéry - Paténipat
    Cornershop feat. Bubbley Kaur - Topknot
    Eleni Foureira - Dokimase Me
    Ellie White - Flori de Mai
    Hachioji P x Giga - Gimme x Gimme feat. Hatsune Miku and Kagamine Rin
    Isabelle Huang - The Flower of Evil
    Jurijus - Apie Ją
    Kalafina - Kagayaku Sora no Shijima ni wa
    Kara - Zazhigay
    Klô Pelgag - Mélamine
    Larsito, Mandy Capristo - Dime si es amor
    María José - El Brillo de la Luna
    Marilena Animado - Sinantise Me
    Marta Sango - ¿Qué Más Quieres De Mí?
    Molly Sandén - Kärlek slutar alltid med bråk
    Nelli Matula - Koske
    Okay Kaya - La Meg
    PRISTIN V - Spotlight
    STAYC - SO BAD
    Valen Etchegoyen - Chicle
    Wilhelmine - Drip
    Wremja i Steklo - Navernopotomuchto

-

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST
    (Missing: Bishop Briggs - JEKYLL & HIDE)

-

Curiosities:

Number of entries by year:
    9 - 2020
    5 - 2019, 2021
    3 - 2018
    2 - 2016
    1 - 2004, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017

Number of entries by language:

4 - Spanish
    3 - French
    2 - Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian
    1 - Chinese, Creole, Finnish, German, Hebrew, Lithuanian, Paiwan, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Simlish, Swedish, Ukrainian

Debut languages:
    Creole
    Paiwan
    Punjabi
    Simlish

-

Send your votes to me by April 10th

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    pop3blow2, Maki, WowWowWowWow and 3 others like this.
  4. Results:

1. ABAO - kinakaian Mu Qin De She Tou // Ana Raquel = 125
    2. Marta Sango - ¿Qué Más Quieres De Mí? // imaduck = 123
    3. Eleni Foureira - Dokimase Me // Derek = 108

4. Marilena Animado - Sinantise Me // WoW73 = 102
    5. María José - El Brillo de la Luna // Doodvid = 95
    6. STAYC - SO BAD // soratami = 86
    7. Kara - Zazhigay // livefrommelbs = 71
    8. Wilhelmine - Drip // iheartpoptarts = 70
    9. Klô Pelgag - Mélamine // Phonetics Girl = 69
    10. Annalisa - Se avessi un cuore // londonrain = 60
    11. Brigitte - À Bouche Que Veux-Tu // berserkboi = 59
    12. Ellie White - Flori de Mai // Conan = 58
    12. Jurijus - Apie Ją // Untouchable Ace = 58
    14. Kalafina - Kagayaku Sora no Shijima ni wa // Maki = 52
    15. Ania Bukstein & Offer Nissim - Rokedet // If You Go = 51
    16. Wremja i Steklo - Navernopotomuchto // Alenko = 50
    17. Nelli Matula - Koske // WowWowWowWow = 49
    18. PRISTIN V - Spotlight // Hurricane Drunk = 48
    19. Aya Nakamura - Ailleurs // Sprockrooster = 44
    20. Carina Dahl - Toppen av Norge // swim = 39
    20. Isabelle Huang - The Flower of Evil // Tiger Suit = 39
    22. Cornershop feat. Bubbley Kaur - Topknot // DominoDancing = 38
    23. Hachioji P x Giga - Gimme x Gimme feat. Hatsune Miku and Kagamine Rin // TéléDex = 37
    24. Charlotte Adigéry - Paténipat // klow = 34
    24. Bishop Briggs - JEKYLL & HIDE // pop3blow2 = 34
    26. Okay Kaya - La Meg // cleosnatchra = 33
    27. Baby K, Tiziano Ferro - Killer // saviodxl = 29
    27. Molly Sandén - Kärlek slutar alltid med bråk // Cotton Park = 29
    29. Valen Etchegoyen - Chicle // daninternational = 28
    30. Larsito, Mandy Capristo - Dime si es amor // Filippa = 22

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. Side theme

Rounds:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
    6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10
    11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15

Answers:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Final leaderboard:

iheartpoptarts - 12
    Maki - 7
    WowWowWowWow - 5
    klow - 5
    soratami - 5
    Alenko - 5
    saviodxl - 4
    If You Go - 2
    Untouchable Ace - 2
    daninternational - 2
    pop3blow2 - 2
    Doodvid - 2
    Cotton Park - 1
    berserkboi - 1
    Sprockrooster - 1
    WoW73 - 1
    livefrommelbs - 0​

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  6. Yay - more minigames!

I know and loved playing Geoguessr, so thank you for reminding me of it for this round! Still choosing my submission, though.

7. My excitement level for my entry here is palpable!! Let’s do this!

8. Ooh I love this theme! Never heard of Geoguessr before but it seems fun, I might give it a shot too.

Alenko, pop3blow2, londonrain and 8 others like this.
  9. I submitted something DIVINE

10. I didn’t know there was a Foreign Language of You Think You’re A Man that was eligible!

11. Shoot your Shot, babe

12. Well I have finally picked my entry and submitted! The side game sounds fun, but I will probably do terribly at it!

13. WIG at Geoguessr!! My fave spare time activity with my pupils!

14. That moment when you stumble onto a song that you enjoy, that’s in a language you’ve never sent before (perfect for this round), that you tell yourself the people of Popjustice will love... and then you discover that the people of Popjustice did in fact love it when @Conan submitted it three rounds ago!!!

(At least I gave it 7 points at the time)

Alenko, soratami, Maki and 6 others like this.
  15. Oh, let me update this with a few vetoes we had so far.

- Competed in PJSC 11.

- It samples the #1 hit Freed From Desire (which, btw, A BOP).

- A song that is competing in the current edition of PJSC. ddddd talk about coincidence

Alenko, soratami, pop3blow2 and 11 others like this.
  16. ALSO, the first round of the side game will be up at some point today (07/03). Probably in the afternoon my time. Hope you enjoy it!

17. I just wanted to take a moment to belatedly thank @ufint and @Sprockrooster for the 12s for 'Fais Le Vide' last round.

18. Oh no. Wink covered both of those two, too?!? Let me add them to my Spotify likes.

19. Hmm, I was planning on choosing something in a language I hadn't submitted, but none of the songs I have waiting in the wings feel right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.