PJXtra 9 ● Mother Tongue ● We have a winner! | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

PJXtra 9 ● Mother Tongue ● We have a winner!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Ana Raquel, May 3, 2021.

1. "Native Tongue", by Mo'Ju (formerly known as "Mojo Juju") sprung to mind instantly when I saw the side theme. It's not performed in a native language, but the song itself is about the subject of colonisation and its effect on the gentrification and destruction of language, specifically Indigenous language

In terms of Indigenous artists who are performing in language, Yolngu man Baker Boy might be one of the most prominent at present. "Meditjin" is a banger, with a video filmed in the National Gallery of Victoria, that I've thought about sending it to PJSC before. I have another entry lined up already for this round so consider this your invitation if you're still looking for something!

"Marryuna" is probably his best known song, with a big hook and a 90s vibe.

For something a little slower paced, perhaps try Emily Wurramara's "Ngarrikwujeyinama", a song in the Anindilyakwa language which relates to the community's pushback to mining enterprises in the Gulf of Carpentaria and the desire to protect the seabed and cultural song lines.

I would also second the Electric Fields recommendation, and also suggest investigating other Indigenous artists like Kee'ahn, Thelma Plum, erstwhile PJ Retro contender Christine Anu and of course Jessica Mauboy!

Doodvid, Maki, Ana Raquel and 9 others like this.
  2. This is such a brilliant collection of indigenous artists! What a spotlight.

Doodvid, Maki, Ana Raquel and 7 others like this.
  3. You know it's time to change the batteries in your wireless keyboard when you start typing things like this in the VETO Spreadsheet!

upload_2021-5-7_8-15-50.png

4. This is the first time I'm taking so long to submit something... it's not that I'm out of potential submissions, it's just that I don't have an obvious one to send.

5. I bet you all wish that this was released before last round so you knew what the roads of Seoul looked like.

I actually guessed anyway and somehow got it right.

Did I pass veto yet?
    Did anyone?

If You Go, soratami and berserkboi like this.
  6. The boys are still evaluating. Only one veto so far:

#1 in Russia and Ukraine.

The rest is basically not passed, but not vetoed either. Fingers crossed!

7. Where do you check the charts positions that are not on Wikipedia babes?

8. So PJSC 102 is in and no song clashes this time.

[​IMG]

Should be able to confirm some songs tonight and then do some tagging - we are at 20 so far!

9. ACharts is good for 2003 onwards (thanks @londonrain)

10. While we're on the subject, anybody know where to check the chart positions for Russia?

(No spoilers for this time but I've wondered a couple of times in the past!)

11. Caught up on the VETO Sheet and my other back-up submission for next round of PJSC is here! *cries*

12. Well, guess you'll have to stick with English in PJSC lol

I yet have to submit something here, but it's coming...

13. You can check Russian chart positions on TopHit. If the song is older it might not have accurate information (Youtube views naturally weren't always counted) so you can also check the Russian version of Wikipedia, though that can always not be accurate either.

14. soratami, Cotton Park, Alenko and 4 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Hello! You took part in the last edition, and we would love to see you here again!

@Maki
    @pop3blow2
    @swim

16. I definitely intend to, just going back on forth on my potential entries.

17. Thank you! But I am really to busy at the moment to pick a good song. Next time hopefully.

Enjoy the contest!

18. A bump because it's the last day to submit! It's probably the 12th in most places now, but as we are considering the last timezone, you should have around 12 hours to send an entry in order to take part.

(possibly more than that because I will most likely be sleeping when the deadline is up ff)

Last mention to those who took part last edition (& haven't commented anything)
    @cleosnatchra
    @Derek
    @imaduck
    @pop3blow2
    @swim
    @ whoever wants to join

19. @Carel - please join and send a 10 minutes masterful opus, please! Xx

@Island - Friday At Sea should be eligible again now!

Maki, Untouchable Ace and soratami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.