Pokémon

Also I’m not really bothered about the minimal and understated design of the main characters, because we will probably be styling them very differently as soon as we can anyway.

This, these more then any main char design thus far feel like the most basic of blank slates generic player model, which hopefully means tons of customization options.

The footage and screens are a bit all over the place, it appears some areas are more fully rendered with lighting and textures and things everywhere, where some shots look like the in progress tech demo for the region. I am glad to see them appear to make more 'set pieces' within the open world, which will really go a long way even if the graphics don't improve much, the player house on the cliffside is a great example of this.

It looks like Portugal is part of the map already, no DLC needed dd

Screenshotter-You-Tube-Pokmon-Scarletand-Pokmon-Violet-Announcement-Trailer-2-19.jpg

Wow, I never thought I'd see the country where I live be adapted into (part of a) Pokémon region (I'm just gonna ignore the "Portugal is part of Spain" undertones here). The potential Pokémon based on Iberian fauna, folklore and whatnot... I'm truly perched.

It looks like Lucario has updated textures in one of the shots. But yeah I also would prefer outlines too.

FMnBA5wXsAQqt7Z

yeah it’s incremental but tbh… they’re getting there. Things are improving. Also I just noticed Hisui Pokémon are available in this game. Nice.

I’m gonna choose Scarlet. Better logo. Better colour.

I really hope they include backward compatibility in HOME this time around. I don’t want to move a Pokémon accidentally from pre-Gen 9 into the game and then it be blocked from going into SwSh/BDSP/PLA(?) like how it worked with Pokémon Bank.

Wow, I never thought I'd see the country where I live be adapted into (part of a) Pokémon region (I'm just gonna ignore the "Portugal is part of Spain" undertones here). The potential Pokémon based on Iberian fauna, folklore and whatnot... I'm truly perched.
It was amazing for me in Gen 5 and so I hope you feel the same joy I did!

he / him
Legends proved that graphics don't need to be top end if the gameplay is good, and judging by the grass and pokemon textures there's no way this won't be the same gameplay as Legends.

F

Fertilizer

I’m… afraid Legends-style catching and Pokémon being able to attack you is gone, which honestly sucks. Having action-control of the protagonis and both approaches to catching was really immersive.

“You'll be able to see the Pokémon of this region in the skies, in the seas, in the forests, on the streets-all over! You'll be able to exerience the true joy of the Pokémon series - battling against wild Pokémon in order to catch them - now in an open-world game that players of any age can enjoy”

Re the player characters, I think that in previous games they were designed to look memorable and also work as characters in the anime, while here they're more like blank slates... which is fine, assuming there are extensive customisation options right from the get-go.

I’m… afraid Legends-style catching and Pokémon being able to attack you is gone, which honestly sucks. Having action-control of the protagonis and both approaches to catching was really immersive.

“You'll be able to see the Pokémon of this region in the skies, in the seas, in the forests, on the streets-all over! You'll be able to exerience the true joy of the Pokémon series - battling against wild Pokémon in order to catch them - now in an open-world game that players of any age can enjoy”

lol I just read this on the site and wondered the same thing. But I won’t consider it confirmation just yet.

Sounds like a blending of the two systems. So no agile/quick and the old more involved battling system. But with the legends catching system still involved, based on what we’ve seen.

Interested in the player customisation - I didn’t use it much at all in Legends (everything looked kinda bad) but found a comfortable look in Sword and Shield. I never really change much outside of the skin colour and hair.

I think that's fine, honestly. I'd rather the base Pokémon battling/catching mechanics remain as they usually are (though with the Legends seamless transitions in and out of battle), with Legends games being their own thing. Mainline Pokémon games have never really been about Go/Legends-style chucking one ball after the other and catching the same Pokémon tens of times, actually battling the wild Pokémon is an important part of the gameplay too.