Pop Masterclass | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Pop Masterclass

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by stuaw, Jan 27, 2013.

1. The Bucks Fizz and the Travis, I liked the latter and the former was just...insane. Maybe because it was a live version on Youtube. I'm American maybe that's why I didn't know them.

2. I do hope it was this performance which is hilariously insane. The outfits, the dance routine, the camera angles. Wonderfully bonkers and very of its time.

I just picked out notable songs from my recent compilation albums and every single song you've added to the list made my compilations so I entirely agree!

Actually I could just post my compilation tracklists and we could just close the thread hehe.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. ^ That's the one! Still...processing it.

4. It would be nice to see some more 60's/ late 50's song choice's, after all it's where pop music began!

5. You could add in every nearly every Motown song ever recorded.

The epitome of pop perfection

6. What are you talking about???

This is Pop Justice. Apparently here, pop music began somewhere around 1997.

7. K94

K94

Oh my God stop it!! Just coz we all weren't hanging out with Kim Appleby and Chaka doesn't mean we don't know older records!!

8. I think the earliest song I absolutely love is Ben E King "Stand By Me".

9. The majority of us grew up around that time. Really, how one views music's quality has a lot to do when they were born. I'm sure a lot people in the 50's thought that the music then was horrendous and preferred the 40's, as I'm sure people in the 70's now regard it as the best music. The fact is that it is entirely subjective, but it's also necessary to realize just because you prefer music from a past generation doesn't mean you have better or more insightful taste. It just means your different from other people who prefer the music of now. Music is such an emotional experience that of course a lot of it is going to be latched onto us because of our youth at the time and that is the same as it was in the 80's or any other time period. Just because you grew up with different music doesn't mean yours is better. It means you feel an emotional attachment to it. Fair enough, but don't paint us all as narrow minded.

10. Of course when people are born will effect their musical tastes but it doesn't excuse a total lack of curiosity for anything that is not within their immediate vicinity

Especially in this day and age, when any type of music from any era is available at the touch of a button

11. BML

BML

I don't like any music from before the year I was born--1990, except for 'Your Love' by The Outfield and quite a bit of Hall & Oates. But that's just me.

12. I have no desire to listen to other music. I'm not curious about anything prior to the 80's, and even when it comes to the 80's, I find it a slag to get through sometimes. I feel no emotional draw to it, and that's okay. That's just me. People should be allowed to listen to what they want, and as music is constantly cycling and evolving, there is more than enough music out and coming out for me to never get bored. Some people don't like current music and that's fine too, but no one should be expected to listen to any certain type of music.

13. Surely The Beatles would have to be involved in this thread somewhere? I can see why including any of their later stuff on here could be seen as dubious but songs like Love Me Do, Please Please Me, She Loves You, Can't Buy Me Love and I Wanna Hold Your Hand are pure pop.

Also, Wannabe.

14. Why so defensive? My comment wasn't directed at you.

I was simply pointing out to Pye that his wish for lists from the 50's and 60's was unlikely to happen around here these days.

15. I was a teen in the 80's but it didn't stop me exploring or listening to era's bygone. Obviously having parents and grandparents that listen to pop music exposed me to music from a different eras. Can I add that I'm a member on this forum because I am interested in current artists and also want to discover new music but it's also great to discuss and discover artists from days gone by.
    I don't think people are saying music from the past is better they are just saying it's good to look and discover music from the past as well as new stuff. luckily people Like Peter realize this and therefore often writes pieces on the PJ front page about artists who are making comebacks or made some kind of impact on the music scene in the past. I think the nice thing about this forum is there is a good mixture of people of different ages who post on here, therefore it adds to the interest when pop is being discussed.

16. I don't know why there have been many threads that discuss music of artists that were around in the 60's..... David Bowie for example (people forget his late 60's stuff) Cher, Petula Clark was mention on the PJ front page only last week!

17. Here are some I've haven't seen mentioned:

Sandie Shaw - Puppet On A String
    Sandie Shaw - Always Something There To Remind Me
    Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Were Made For Walkin'
    Lulu - Shout
    The Monkees - Daydream Believer
    Sister Sledge - We Are Family
    Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer
    Slyvester - You Make Me Feel Mighty Real
    Chic - Le Freak
    Pointer Sisters - Jump
    Jackson 5 - Blame It On The Boogie
    Bee Gees - Night Fever
    New Order - Blue Monday
    New Order - True Faith
    Duran Duran - Girls On Film
    Duran Duran - Rio
    Duran Duran - The Reflex
    Spandau Ballet - Gold
    Spandau Ballet - True
    Wham - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax
    Bros - When Will I Be Famous
    Yazz - The Only Way Is Up
    Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  18. I find statements that someone doesn't like, or is not interested in music before arbitrary an date, sad and rather arrogant.

A bit like Americans who don't own passports

19. I keep thinking this thread is called 'Pop Mattresses' and get ready to start listing Katie Price, Vanilla, and all my favourite gutter divas.

20. For the sake of evening out, I'll only post older ones for now.

60's:

The Four Tops - Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch
    The Shangri-Las - Leader of the Pack
    Francoise Hardy - Je Changerais D'avis
    The Crystals - Da Doo Ron Ron
    The Ronettes - Be My Baby
    The Walker Brothers - The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore
    Ike & Tina Turner - A Love Like Yours
    Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning

70's:

Love Affair - Everlasting Love
    Blondie - Denis
    Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You

80's:

Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies
    Dusty Springfield - In Private
    Liza Minnelli - Losing My Mind
    Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
    Ultravox - Vienna
    Kim Wilde - You Keep Me Hangin' On
    Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is A Place On Earth
    Yazoo - Only You

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.