Pop Masterclass | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Pop Masterclass

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by stuaw, Jan 27, 2013.

1. I'm sticking to the 60's despite not being born !!

As i previously posted, practically every song by Holland, Dozier, Holland is a masterclass in pop song writing

These aren't necessarily songs that i like but they are pop perfection

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles

My Boy Lollipop - Milly

Build Me Up Butter Cup and Now That I've Found You - The Foundations

Working My Way Back To You - The Four Seasons (better by The Spinners)

It's My Party and You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore

Downtown - Petula Clarke

I Only Want To Be WIth You - Dusty Springlfield

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - Neil Sedaka

2. Passive aggression is always the most mature retort.

But on topic, I did forget 'Love Is a Battlefield' by Pat Benetar and 'Smooth Criminal' by Michael. Both absolute masterpieces.

3. K94

K94

Lord yes.

I think I might end up choosing about 75 of these and making a spotify playist.

4. Some fantastic tunes and artists there. I was going to add The Walker Brothers to my 60's list but somehow forgot to add them to my list. I also nearly added Scott Walker as a solo artist!

Dusty Springfield 'In Private' is such a brilliant pop tune and Lyrically it really moves me. I was playing it very loud in my car only a few days ago it's just pure class. Dusty's 80's comeback was amazing.

5. Better to be immature than wilfully ignorant

6. LTG

LTG

For decades before I was born:

60s
    Jackie Wilson - (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher
    The Beatles - Help!
    Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street
    Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
    The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin'
    The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go?

70s
    David Bowie - "Heroes"
    Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
    ABBA - Knowing Me, Knowing You
    Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
    Carly Simon - You're So Vain
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
    Michael Jackson - Don't Stop til You Get Enough
    Blondie - Heart of Glass

80s
    Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
    Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
    Madonna - Into the Groove or Like a Prayer
    The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star
    Laura Branigan - Self Control
    Prince - Kiss
    Fleetwood Mac - Most of the singles from Tango...
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
    U2 - With or Without You

7. BML

BML

So we're ignorant because we share different views on music than you?

OKAY.

8. 'Love is a Battle Field' is brilliant although 'We Belong' just beats it in my opinion.' We Belong' would most deffo be in my top tunes of the 80's list.
    I never really got into the rest of Pat's material how ever much I tried. Most of her stuff is just pretty average. She never really had that much success here in the UK.

9. That isn't what he said in the slightest.

10. It doesn't matter what my views on music are, to arbitrarily write off anything before you were born is wilfully ignorant. It's a statement of fact not an insult !!

11. Into The Groove
    Where Are You Baby?
    Chewing Gum
    Overload
    Leader Of The Pack
    Do You Want To Know A Secret?
    Soon
    This Charming Man
    Ashes To Ashes

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  12. BML

BML

Well, I suppose I could have elaborated more. It doesn't simply come down to the date of release for me. Trends and genres of decades past simply don't interest me. I know that I don't like new wave, disco, motown, psychedelic funk, swing, hair bands, etc. so I don't bother. The same way I know that I don't like country, so I actively avoid it. There could potentially be a country song out there that I'd completely fall in love with but I'm not going spend hours sifting through decades worth of material to find it when I know it won't be an enjoyable experience for me.

I know what I like and I know where to find it, and it's not anterior to the 1990's.

13. I quite like you. Let's be friends.

But really, thank you. All of this is exactly how I feel. Not to mention listening through copious amounts of new music is one of my least favorite things to do. If I randomly heard a song from the 60's in a film that I loved, I wouldn't discredit it because it was from the 60's. It's just that that has never happened.

14. Why have you chosen to join in with the Popjustice song contest if you hate listening to copious amounts of new music? How can you put yourself through listening to 35+ songs you may not have heard before especially if they are before 1990?

15. I do it in very small chunks. And it helps adding the context that 'this is a song that someone really likes and submitted for a reason'.

16. BML

BML

Thank you! Glad I'm not alone on this.

17. People's lack of curiosity is a constant amazement for me

I can (and do) spend hours on Youtube having looked at one thing and been temptated and sidetracked by the sidebar. Nothing more fun than finding new things to be excited by.

Isn't it ifacinating to see the music that lead to today's favourites or who artists you may like have been inspired by ? Things don't just arrive fully formed by Demi Lovato and to not be interested shows a distinct lack of interest in and contempt for music in general

But each to their own

18. K94

K94

It is kind of a shame especially when one is missing out on the amazingness of the 80s but I kinda understand it - I just don't get country and I'm never, in the slightest, compelled to listen to it (I can deal with Shania, a lil bit of Carrie and some LeAnn but that's it).

19. I love old music, but I think it's what you grow up listening too and your exposure to it. I happily sing all and sometimes even actively seek the old Motown songs. They are just feel good. I also love old hip-hop and RnB, especially the late 80's - early 90's stuff, there are so many jams from that era that I have and get plays on a regular basis.
    Alternatively, I probably know all the words to Dolly Parton and Patsy Clines greatest hits from hearing my Nan play them when I was little.
    Then there is all the old school dance/garage music which never fails to get me into a hyperactive mess.
    So I don't think it's particularly fair to assume that all young people have virtually no clue if music that pre dated the Spice Girls.

20. Personally I find more enjoyment in finding older songs than new songs there's so many hidden gems out there and that's what makes it so much more exciting for me.

Here's some more:

John Farnham - You're The Voice
    Dolly Parton 9 to 5
    Dolly Parton - Jolene
    Huey Lewis and The News - The Power of Love
    New Kids On The Block - The Right Stuff

Some 90s songs:

GIna G - Ooh Ah (Just A Little Bit)
    Deee-Lite Groove Is In The Heart
    Ce Ce Peniston - Finally
    Crystal Waters - Gyspy Woman
    Adamski - Killer
    Take That - Pray
    Take That - Never Forget
    Take That - Back For Good
    Boyzone - Picture of You
    Backstreet Boys - Larger Than Life
    Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way
    Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
    Westlife - Flying Without Wings
    All Saints - Never Ever
    Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight
    Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love

Some later ones:
    N*Sync - Bye Bye Bye
    N*Sync - Girlfriend
    All Saints - Pure Shores
    All Saints - Black Coffee
    Jennifer Lopez - Love Don't Cost A Thing
    Jennifer Lopez - Play
    Christina Milian - AM to PM
    Hear'Say - Pure and Simple
    Will Young - Leave Right Now
    Alesha Dixon - The Boy Does Nothing
    The Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha
    Amerie - 1 Thing
    The Saturdays - All Fired Up
    Jennifer Lopez On The Floor

Also Britney's and Christina's singles run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.