PopJustice Book Club | Page 100 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. [​IMG]

I'm still halfway through The Line of Beauty.

The prose is amazing, but it baffles me that the sole motor of the main character is sex and not much has happened yet? dd

Terminus and ohnostalgia like this.
  2. I read all of Hollinghurst’s books when I was 20, but never came back to them. Not my cup of tea. Good luck!

Also since I’m new to the thread, is sharing goodreads a thing people do here?

3. I used to read a lot when I was younger but considering I have so much shit to read for university I've been failing at reading books for fun for the past few years.

Though last year I managed to read 20 books - which was a lot for me, especially because I read about 15 of those from July-December - and this year I've set a goal of 30. I mostly read nonfiction, YA, fantasy and poetry, but I'm gonna force myself to read stuff out of my comfort zone. I've finished 4 so far, and I'm currently reading Gone Girl, which is a book I've been wanting to read for years and finally got my hands on a copy.

Trinu 3.0 and ohnostalgia like this.
  4. I've shared links to books here, but not my profile. Add me, hunties!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  5. Done! Finally, I’ll have a 1 by the friends name ddd.

6. ddd your feed is gonna be all Daniel wants to read ____________.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  7. Haha. Will I ever finish A Simple Favour? We just don’t know.

8. Y'all can add me too if you wanna!

9. Mine. I love Goodreads. I mostly read YA or Urban Fantasy.

I'm currently reading The Little Friend by Donna Tartt - which is a struggle. I liked The Secret History, but The Goldfinch was hard work.

10. Ooh add me too! Love seeing what people are reading!

ohnostalgia and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  11. Stanning your 2 stars for Call Me By Your Name. Absolute drivel.

miss anthropop likes this.
  12. Bahaha... I really only got seriously back into reading in 2018 and I'm so picky with my choices. I was just so bored reading it.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  13. LTG

LTG

I’m trying to find my url but I’m adding you guys

ohnostalgia and DaCapo like this.
  14. I just read the first poem in Three Poems and damn.

I’m listening to it now:

15. I’m reading that at the moment too. I’m really enjoying it so far.

16. Can anybody give me their thoughts on Audible ?? If they use it. I’ve just downloaded it. Or is there a better audio book platform I can use?

17. Been reading this over the past week, and while I really like the prose (and the gay vibes) I'm not really into art so it's a little trying at times.

backstreetjoe likes this.
  18. Moving into my second book of the year...
    Where’d You Go Bernadette?

19. I just got Audible a few months ago and I'm loving it. I can 'read' at the gym, on a jog, standing in a packed subway, yas. That said, it belongs to Amazon and Amazon is an evil, exploitive company and bad for the book industry, so... there's that.

20. Finished The People in the Trees and all I can say is -
    It's fucked up. Twisted, ambitious, grotesquely compelling and definitely a better book than A Little Life. I hate to say it though - that ghoulish postscript smacked of the same kind of exploitation that characterised large chunks of A Little Life. She just couldn't resist slapping us in the face with the full horror of her protagonist's actions, huh? Obviously the entire structure of the book is gimmicky but it works so well - cutting that scene from the story and then tacking it on the end for maximum shock factor really took me out of the slimy morally-ambiguous web she had painstakingly spun up to that point.

Regardless, Yanagihara is scary good at writing about cruelty (like, she's sick in the head but talented af). The scenes with animals...bruised my soul :(

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Monkey Meat, LTG, codecat and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.