PopJustice Book Club | Page 101 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Eek just added it to my list.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  2. done!

3. Loved that. All three of Semple's novels are ace.

4. trying to work out how to share my profile too

5. I'm so bad. I read so many books on holiday in December and now I've read nothing in January. Fix it, Jesus!

I have The Reluctant Fundamentalist ready to go after being so bawled over by Exit West but I guess I decided to be the reluctant something-something instead.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  6. I know some of you gorls stan Kazuo Ishiguro - thoughts on The Buried Giant? I'm quite gripped so far, enjoying the spooky ambiguities.

7. LTG

LTG

The dialogue between the two main characters can grate a bit and they’re not that fleshed out as characters. It works for what he’s trying to do though. Most of his work is about memory or the stories individuals tell themselves to come to terms with their past. In The Buried Giant he’s using similar themes in the context of a whole society.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  8. Currently reading Mrs Dalloway, and it really flips between incredible emotional insight and long meandering descriptions where I have no idea what's going on.

codecat and beyoncésweave like this.
  9. I felt the same about To The Lighthouse. Worth it in the end but Miss Woolf sure does love a meandering tangent.

codecat and Terminus like this.
  10. LTG

LTG

Poor modernist sis

codecat and beyoncésweave like this.
  11. Hsjdjdkkddk I bought it a week ago in the airport because I had forgotten A Wizard of Earthsea at home and 20 pages later I decided it was worthier to sleep the flight out (and I’ve read it before in Spanish).

I know it’s a great book and so on, but you really have to be in the mood for Woolf.

Anyway, I finished Three Poems and it was nice, but I’m still to get the gist of modern poetry.

12. I’m 100 pages into Black Leopard, Red Wolf and I just can’t put it down. I stan the queerness of it all.

Robert and Beautiful Child 2 like this.
  13. Jdjfkdkdkd im receiving it at the end of the month

How is it out in some places already?

14. It came out in North America this week.

15. I wanna read A Brief History of Seven Killings before I get stuck into Black Leopard, Red Wolf. I read The Book of Night Women earlier this month and it was an experience.

codecat likes this.
  16. Someboy

Someboy Moderator

I will pick up and finish A Brief History of Seven Killings this year. I will!

17. LTG

LTG

It was announced the other day that Michael B Jordan is going to be producing an adaptation of Black Leopard, Red Wolf.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  18. I read that too and I really wonder how that's gonna go because the book is gay as fuck so far.

LTG likes this.
  19. Working at a book shop definitely has its perks. I think I've consumed so many novels over the past couple of weeks that I'm worried I'm going to overdose on literature.

I've just finished Adele by Leila Slimani which I thoroughly enjoyed. The story is essentially about a French journalist with an addiction to sex and how that affects and twists both her life, and then the people around her. I (like many others here I imagine) do a lot of writing in my spare time, and it has a lot of similar themes and concepts to a novel I wrote a few years ago, so it resonated pretty profoundly with me. It's short enough to read in a couple of days, so well worth picking up if anyone gets the chance

20. HBO IT IS THEN!

truman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.