PopJustice Book Club | Page 102 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. LTG

LTG

I read Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans over the last couple of days. I'm sad I don't have any of his novels left to read, only Nocturnes, his short stories.

Orphans was good, but not quite up there with his absolute best (The Remains of the Day, The Unconsoled, Never Let Me Go). It uses the conceit of a detective story to focus on how too much nostalgia can be damaging.

beyoncésweave and bakerboy92 like this.
  2. Speaking of Marlon James, this profile on him is beyond amazing and has done nothing but enlarge my crush on him.

codecat and Beautiful Child 2 like this.
  3. I finished reading Jake Shears' Boys Keep Swinging...and I liked it but I was also vaguely dissatisfied with it in places? The lack of anything between 2006 - 2016, as well as the impression that he and his partner are still together when...they're not.

4. I don't know if you've read The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton...
    SPOILER
    but the big reveal at the end (gay master and interracial couple in the household!!!) is too awful for words.

This is why I don't read fiction.

5. [​IMG]

Bought this nearly five years ago, just started reading it last week. It's really intriguing! The Sedgwick's are such sad, privileged people. With a disturbingly evil father.

Terminus likes this.
  6. I’ve read 7 books now, so I feel like I’m on track for my 52 goal. I’m sure these books were discussed previously since they were huge in 2018, but both Educated and Sapiens have been highlights. Also if you like fun, easy to read thrillers The Last Mrs. Parrish is entertaining.

I think I found out how to share my goodreads profile.

londonrain and Mina like this.
  7. Educated is amazing! My favorite types of books are the ones that actually make me a bit uncomfortable, and there were definitely parts of that book that were really hard to read for that reason. But the level of personal growth and expansion of her concept of her worldview that the author experiences throughout the book is really remarkable.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  8. Going to my first ever literary event at the British Library today. Feel like a proper grown up !

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Kirkland, Trinu 3.0 and Robert like this.
  9. I just finished Tin Man, by Sarah Winman.

Gosh, it’s not even 200 pages and it’s made me cry like a baby.
    I find it strangely similar to A Little Life, but with a much more hopeful story.

londonrain and backstreetjoe like this.
  10. I've just finished Between a Rock and a Hard Place, which I loved. I've got The Language of Kindness: A Nurse's story to read, which I'm hoping will fill the gap.

11. I finished it in the back of a minibus after a wine tour in Portugal and I was bawling my little drunk eyes out.

Just started Sapiens and it is surprisingly thrilling.

12. LTG

LTG

13. RJF

RJF

Oh. Wait at this not taking an age to be released.

Beautiful Child 2 likes this.
  14. Me ignoring my TBR list to get into His Dark Materials... again.

[​IMG]

George RR Martin found procrastinating... again.

JapaneseJesus likes this.
  15. LTG

LTG

Black Leopard, Red Wolf is out today for the UKunties.

16. I saw it on Tuesday in Waterstones.
    Had I known, I wouldn't have ordered it on Amazon cause they were signed!

LTG likes this.
  17. Midway through The Devil Wears Prada and hoping to finish it by the weekend. After that the book assigned for our book club is Boy Erased, so I’m preparing myself to feel very very sad.

18. Just finished the last book in Michael Grant’s Gone series.

Under The Dome meets X-Men (kind of).. I’m not very good at describing books but it was very very good

Hybridcookie, Charley and Robert like this.
  19. I read the first two books in the series a few years ago. I have the rest but haven’t got around to reading them yet. I’m glad it sounds like it’s worth getting back into. I did enjoy the first two but got side tracked by uni. I think I’ll need a refresher of the first two books before going onto the next

Have you read The Enemy series by Charlie Higson? It’s meant to have a similiar premise. I haven’t read them yet either but also own them.

SecretSatisfaction likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.