PopJustice Book Club | Page 103 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Women's Prize Longlist!

I'm reading Circe now and I get the praise.

I've put The Line of Beauty aside for now. I'm halfway through it and I love the way it's written, but I need something other than gay tories doing nothing at the moment.

2. Ooh I haven’t but I’ve just googled it and it looks right up my street!

Robert likes this.
  3. SwanSong is next on my reading list

4. More prizes!

And a nice article about the Women's Prize

5. I'm listening to Internment by Samira Ahmed. It's really good so far. I have about two hours left

6. Just checking in to say that Darius The Great Is Not Okay is so good. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation, @ohnostalgia.

Charley and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. I have 10 pages to go in If Beale Street Could Talk and I am tense. Nothing creates tension like characters you care about.

8. I listened to Darius The Great last week! It was really good
    -

Following up, Internment was amazing as expected. Tomorrow I’ll be listening to Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson. I started the book a long time ago and got distracted.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  9. Just starting Pet Semetary. I was debating whether to see the new movie first (which I usually have a rule against), but consensus seems to be that it's one of his best books so I thought why not. A Little Life can wait.

Terminus likes this.
  10. Pet Semetary is stunning...

As was The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie which I read in a day on my holibobs.

11. [​IMG]
    This is honestly one of my favourite books I've ever read. I'm a sucker for a love story but found this really engaging.

12. Electric chair @ whoever designed the cover for Ian McEwan's new one
    [​IMG]

13. Ugh, all their books are so good.

-

Undead Girl Gang was great.

14. [​IMG]

This is excellent.

JapaneseJesus and londonrain like this.
  15. I just got to Louis' first day at work and fuck. So unsettling!

Terminus likes this.
  16. I'm reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.

Terminus likes this.
  17. Thomas Hardy was deliberately vague about what happened to Tess because of Victorian rule. Authors didn't write about sex in those days for fear of censorship or an outright ban. It's not clear if Tess was seduced or raped by Alec D'Urberville. Most people on the online discussion boards think that Tess was raped. It reminded me of something that happened to myself. During college, I lived with a married couple and the husband sexually harassed me. Vulnerable women have been taken advantage of for centuries.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Terminus likes this.
  18. Absolutely abhorrent, I hope you’ve gotten the support you needed to get through it since.
    And you are right, they have, and still very much are.

londonrain and katiespice like this.
  19. Anyone fancy giving me some short yay/nay recommendations on the following:

- The Mars Room
    - Circe (especially for someone not usually fond of historical fiction)
    - Rosewater
    - Suicide Club
    - My Brilliant Friend

20. I listened to Dig by A. S. King and I liked how it showed generational racism. I was expecting a reveal though but. . .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.