PopJustice Book Club | Page 105 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Oh, it's a complete slow-burner, which isn't usually my thing but I just thought the writing of it was really lovely. I felt satisfied by the conclusion too.

chanex likes this.
  2. It’s legitimately great.

londonrain and Beautiful Child 2 like this.
  3. I do love the writing, but there's only so many linguistic acrobatics I can appreciate before realising the plot hasn't moved an inch.

4. pdf

pdf

LOVED Maggie & Me

backstreetjoe likes this.
  5. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was so friggin' good.

DreamlessNights and Terminus like this.
  6. Anyone pick up Chelsea Handler's new book, Life Will Be the Death of Me? I found it insightful and enjoyed her more humorous approach to going through therapy. I learned a lot more about her even after all this time. It had moments where it was a little sappy and you just wanna tell her to chill out, but she's just so endearing that she sells it.

... But don't go to her sit-down tour. Total waste of money.

Charley likes this.
  7. Everyone should read Vicious by Victoria Schwab, or really anything by her, because she is amazing.

I've randomly decided to try and read the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series by the end of June. I read the first 2 a long time ago, but never picked up the others.

Somehow I started Game of Thrones on Monday and finished it Saturday night, and have now started A Clash of Kings. I'm determined!

Terminus and Alphableat like this.
  8. Now reading Obelisk Gate, and the whole thing is so we'll put together. I really hope the TV adaptation does it justice. Could really fill a GoT-sized void (with adequate representation).

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  9. Less would make a good Netflix miniseries. An episode per location.

Someboy, backstreetjoe and londonrain like this.
  10. I started book 2 from Murakami's Killing Commendatore. Great as usual.

backstreetjoe likes this.
  11. LTG

LTG

I read Destiny of the Republic last week. It’s about the assassination of US president James Garfield, the efforts to try to save him, and how it was probably doctors who didn’t believe in sterilisation who killed him.

I finished Normal People last night. It works as an account of one tempestuous relationship, but it leaves all the other characters as faintly sketched outlines. I did prefer it to Conversations with Friends.

12. Me at the end of The Swimming Pool Library.

crash9081 and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  13. I’m reading A Game Of Thrones for the first time... I’m already hooked.
    My dissatisfaction with the final season is jumping out by seeking solace in its written word.

14. I just finished Lie With Me by Philippe Besson and it was really beautiful. Molly Ringwald's translation was great and even though it's a familiar gay love story I loved the way he played with narrative and the way we construct our own stories.

15. Is Toni Morrison the greatest writer in the English language?

Discuss.

16. You Will Be Safe Here just floored me. Beautifully heartbreaking.

17. Phew the POWER this post has. Yes...there is no one like her. I think about Paradise and Beloved at least once a week.

beyoncésweave likes this.
  18. pdf

pdf

MOLLY RINGWALD'S TRANSLATION?? As in the actress?

londonrain likes this.
  19. Yas.

pdf likes this.
  20. I've just got past the Red Wedding in the 3rd and now I'm sad all over again. I knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it halfway through the book.

Robert likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.