PopJustice Book Club | Page 112 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I’ve started The Goldfinch in anticipation of the movie... but I’m finding it a bit dull.

Terminus likes this.
  2. The writing is beautiful, but it took me a very long while to finish.
    Which is why I'm putting off The Secret History for a bitsy.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  3. LTG

LTG

The Goldfinch took me more than a month to read, but I read The Secret History in a few days. The Goldfinch needed an editor but I thought The Secret History was perfect at the time.

dirtypony and beyoncésweave like this.
  4. Well this is disappointing. It’s one of my ‘next up’ reads.

The Secret History flies by though.

5. Maybe you'll like it better tho!

I'm now reading Tokarczuk's Flights and... I don't get how it's catalogued as a novel? It's basically random notes about her thoughts on travelling with some fiction bits inserted in the middle. But I need to finish it.

6. I finished An American Marriage by Tayari Jones the other day. I was massively underwhelmed considering the praise it's received. Has anyone else read it?

7. I thought the first half of The Secret History was 5/5 but the second half
    post-murder
    dwindled to a 3/5 for me.
    I found the anticipation of the murder completely gripping so then when it happened the steam ran out a bit for me.
    It was beautifully written and was simply enjoyable to just absorb her prose. The same can definitely be said of The Goldfinch, even if it is a little tedious.

8. After a spate of reading a load of patchy thrillers (including The Outsider by Stephen King, The Woman in the Window by A J Finn and A Version of the Truth by B P Walter) I started something more literary last night with Take Nothing With You by Patrick Gale.

I've only read a chapter so far, but it already feels like something I'll enjoy. His book Rough Music is one of my all time faves.

FoxMint likes this.
  9. The New Yorker expose on A J Finn is way spicier than his book.

10. Oh exciting - I'll check it out thanks!

That book felt very samey to The Girl On The Train. Even the title!

11. What about an PopJustice Exchange Book Club?

12. The Woman In The Window was fucking awful. I’ve read a lot of just ok thrillers but I actively hated that one.

I’m only just starting The Secret History but I can’t put it down, which wasn’t the case for The Goldfinch, so I’d give it a go, Trinu

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  13. Well, I'm very glad I opened this thread today. What a ride.

Trinu 3.0 and Alphableat like this.
  14. That New Yorker exposé makes you look at videos like this in a different way

Terminus likes this.
  15. He'd still get it though

Terminus and bakerboy92 like this.
  16. I'm reading a non-fiction book called If I Don't Make It, I Love You, which is a collection of essays and thoughts from survivors, family members of other people involved in school shootings. It's really hard hitting, but also inspiring in the way some of these people have come through tragedy and all the shit they've dealt with beyond PTSD.

Weirdly though, one person's (who had lost their child) input was strangely pro-Trump and very blaming of local jurisdiction rather than gun culture, which I found strange, even though the explanation of this perspective was quite large.

17. Currently reading The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck. Pretty great!

18. I found some audiobooks on Spotify and gave listening to one a go for the first time.

It was impossible. My mind is either really dim or thinking of too many things at once, but I just felt like nothing was going in. After 10 mins I couldn't remember anything of what had happened in the story. I just don't think my brain can process. I have friends who love audiobooks. I guess I'll be sticking to old fashioned reading.

19. LTG

LTG

I read The Testaments over a couple of days.

I didn’t think it was as good as The Handmaid’s Tale but I didn’t expect it to be. I enjoyed having three different perspectives but it meant that none were as fully fleshed out as Offred’s in the first book. Aunt Lydia’s was the most engaging.

I did really enjoyed the book and I stan Maggie’s current $ucc£$$ful period. I hope it makes a wider audience read her other books too.

I’m currently reading Josephine Tey’s The Daughter of Time, a detective story looking at the Princes in the Tower mystery.

Sam de Jour likes this.
  20. Im actually reading the Handmaid’s Tale for the first time right now - I’m about halfway through, enjoying it so far. Margaret Atwood is a master wordsmith.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.