PopJustice Book Club | Page 119 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I'm glad you said it. It sounds like hyperbole but it's exactly how I've felt about it, too.

2. Nah, it's one of those books where you just know it's gonna stay with you.
    I rarely reread books and I can see myself going back to this one over the years.

I'm now reading Where Reasons End.
    It's basically the opposite story to Ocean's: a mother writes to her late son.

In 2020 we crying.

bakerboy92 likes this.
  3. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

An update of sorts: I ended up reading 40 books last year which was almost double from 2018, when I read 21.

My top 5 reads in 2019 were

Kazuo Ishiguro - A Pale View of Hills
    Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus
    Casey McQuiston - Red, White and Royal Blue
    Chimamanda Ngozi-Adichie - Purple Hibiscus
    Celeste Ng - Everything I Never Told You

I set myself a goal of 50 books for this year. I've read one so far, but it was just a short book of essays by Montesquieu, and I'm currently in the middle of reading V.E.Schwab's Vicious. My biggest challenge for this year is reading bigger books than my usual go-to of 200-400 pages, such as Hanya Yanagihara's A Little Life, Donna Tartt's The Secret History, Samantha Shannon's The Priory of the Orange Tree and Libba Bray's The Diviners series. We'll see!

4. LTG

LTG

[​IMG]

5. I didn’t know where else to post this, but Elizabeth Wurtzel was one of my favorite authors of all time & tonight I learned she passed today of cancer. I’m both really upset the moment, but also wanted to try to find a place to mention her on here... as she’s a big deal to me. This was one of the only book/author threads I could find.. so I’ll post about her here. Her writing had a huge impact on my life in the late 90s & early 00s. First Prozac Nation, which was one the first memoirs of depression that I read and made me feel les alone in my own struggles with it.

My favorite book by her, though, was Bitch: In Praise Of Difficult Women. In fact, it’s one of my favorite books ever... a top 10. It’s just a bunch of random, slightly interconnected essays about feminism, through the lens of different women in history, pop culture, and more. I adored her take on the patriarchy, equality, and modern feminism. It also had a huge impact on my own writing (both music lyrics and essays) and I thought about it often the last year while writing for my Mandy Moore rate here. I loved that her brain seemed kinda wired like mine in how she attempts to connect fairly disparate people to common theme. It was exciting and inspiring to me... and remains so 20 years later.

She’s not for everyone, she never was, but she was always unashamedly herself and it was always so inspiring to me. Was she always coherent in her comparisons or ideas? Maybe not. But there was a passion to her work that always connected to me and there was a method to her madness that maybe you miss at first, but on some random day your brain makes the connection. Basically, I just loved her takes and she will be missed.

This video from a CSPAN reading & QA of Bitch she did in 1998 really captures her spirit well. (She was huge music fan and discusses a lot about Alanis Morissette at one point in the talk)

Just needed to share her somewhere in this moment. Be well, all.

6. So I started reading books again after I read almost nothing in 2018 & 2019 and I started with 1984. Although I started reading it in December and I'm usually a pretty fast reader, I have only read like 1/4 of it. And I can't really tell if it's me or the book is just heavy to read.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  7. I share your loss.

Prozac Nation got me through my teens and More Now Again got me through my early twenties. This place is definitely going to be a bit darker without her.

pop3blow2 and RUNAWAY like this.
  8. I don’t know about that one, but I hate it when a book doesn’t grab me and I hate leaving it there for days without touching it.
    So this year I’m forcing myself to read at least an hour a day. It’s worked nicely for now!

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  9. I love V.E Schwab's books. She's one of my favourite authors.

10. I’m the opposite: I love ditching a book if it’s boring me. I used to hate abandoning a book and would trudge through it for months and would spend a daily ritual thinking ‘hmm I should probably read’ but I wasn’t enjoying the book so just wouldn’t end up reading at all. Now if I’m bored I ditch it and I end up finishing so many more books now because I only read books that have really interested me.

Sometimes a book that I’ve left will kinda linger with me and I’ll think I’m done with it but it’s actually not done with me and I’ll go back to and finish it and love it.

11. If I am pushed to the point of ditching a book, I will forevermore hold a grudge against it and tell everyone who’ll listen that it’s shit. See:
    • Shantaram
    • The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair
    • Wolf Hall (this one less so, but I found it such a difficult read)

scottdisick94 likes this.
  12. I've almost finished House of Leaves. I've been meaning to read it since forever and thought it would be a good start of the year. I'm OBSESSED. It's. So. Good.

Not that interested in his other books though. (Even though the Familiar books look pretty.) I think the way he experiments with form works for the story he's telling but I can't imagine it being that applicable to other stories without the same framework.

13. But isn't Little Women a children's book? So I can forgive it being twee.

I do the Goodreads Challenges, which is good in a way because it forces me to keep reading, but bad because it puts me off reading the 1,000 page history books that'll take me 4 months. Plus I'm abroad and have no access to a library or any books in English, so it's just whats on the Kindle for free.

14. I have just finished Never Let Me Go and i feel so drained emotionally. It was a great read, i especially loved how the layers keep coming off bit by bit rather than dumping them all in a single episode.

Which book of his should i go for next sistren?

RUNAWAY and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  15. I am just unable to do that ññ
    I might read something in between if something doesn’t grab my attention at first, but I usually go back to it right after to finish it.

Tinkers was one of those and I ended up loving it.

The only one I haven’t finished lately was Flights (Tokarczuk just one a Nobel, so...). Dreadful, honestly. I just gave it to a friend so I wouldn’t be reminded I left it unfinished.

Have you read The Orphan Master’s Son? It’s one of my all time faves.

scottdisick94 and enjoy like this.
  16. Never Let Me Go was my first book of his. I will be going for that next then.

17. It’s not by Kazuo!
    I think I’ve only read that one by him as well.

I just recommended TOMS because I love it ññ

enjoy likes this.
  18. LTG

LTG

All of his books deal with similar themes. Memory, what we choose to remember, what we choose to forget to make our lives easier. His citation for the Nobel prize said he’s “uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world”, which I’m fully on board with.

I’d probably recommend The Remains of the Day next. In my view it’s the clearest distillation of what he tries to do with his fiction. Then I’d read A Pale View of Hills or An Artist of the Floating World. Both early attempts at doing this through the prism of post-war Japan.

I’d probably leave The Unconsoled and The Buried Giant til last (even though the latter was the first I read of his). They’re the ones people seem to have the most trouble with, but I found them both rewarding. The Unconsoled is mad and frustrating but I stan.

When We Were Orphans is enjoyable, but probably his most by-the-numbers book for me. Fit it in if you feel like it.

I’ve not got round to reading Nocturnes, his short story collection, because I don’t want to run out of new Ishiguro quite yet.

19. Goodreads and the site I buy my books from always recommend this to me because of the other mystery/crime books that I've read. I won't bother myself with it then, thank you dddd.

Alphableat likes this.
  20. I'm putting less pressure on myself to read loads this year. I managed 32 books in 2019 and felt exhausted by the end of it! I'm reading Convenience Store Woman at the moment and its so cute!

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.