PopJustice Book Club | Page 121 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I just started reading it! It's much darker than I anticipated it being. Which is fine, but I'm finding I need to be in a certain mood to read it.

truman likes this.
  2. I guess it's kind of dark but I also found it super relatable? I've never slept with a prostitute I met in a public bathroom, but the whole hunger for a (sexual) connection that is just not attainable I found so recognizable. Not to mention Part 2 which really floored me.

bakerboy92 likes this.
  3. American Dirt was one of the most anticipated novels of the year, and... now it's being talked about for all the wrong reasons.

This review...

THE ARTISTRY

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Someboy, Andrew.L and londonrain like this.
  4. Ugh what pisses me off about this is that a) she’s marketing the book as “I’ve done so much research that this could have been non-fiction” and b) it’s an AWFUL time to release such a howler when identity and authorship are under such scrutiny. It’s going to put off people who are able to research and respect and write outside of their own experiences and we’ll be poorer for it.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  5. Re-reading Guapa as it's our assigned book for book club and I worried I would be bored of reading a book I've read before but I'm noticing things in the story that I didn't the first time, which is great!

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  6. I have Guapa pending since forever.
    But it's gonna wait until I forget the fact that I saw the author on Scruff while I was in Lisbon and he blanked me.

ANYWAY, this is a fun article:

If They Gave Oscars to Books, Our 2019 Nominees

Best Novel (Best Picture)

Sally Rooney, Normal People
    Colson Whitehead, The Nickel Boys
    Lucy Ellmann, Ducks, Newburyport
    Elizabeth Strout, Olive, Again
    Susan Choi, Trust Exercise
    Ben Lerner, The Topeka School
    Téa Obreht, Inland
    Miriam Toews, Women Talking

Best Debut Novels (Actor in a Supporting Role)

Ocean Vuong, On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous
    Taffy Brodesser-Akner, Fleishman Is In Trouble
    Julia Phillips, Disappearing Earth
    Chia-Chia Lin, The Unpassing
    Sophie Mackintosh, The Water Cure
    Lauren Wilkinson, American Spy

Best Book of Poetry (Sound Editing and Sound Mixing)

Ilya Kaminsky, Deaf Republic
    Jericho Brown, The Tradition
    Franny Choi, Soft Science
    Hanif Abdurraqib, A Fortune for Your Disaster
    Fred Moten, All That Beauty
    Jake Skeets, Eyes Bottle Dark with a Mouthful of Flowers

BubblegumBoy and truman like this.
  7. I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned on this thread but I’ve just finished Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid and would highly recommend it.

It tells the story of a young black woman who is wrongly accused of kidnapping the white child she is babysitting and the events that follow.

If that synopsis makes it sound heavy, it’s not - the book quickly turns into a witty, biting satire of the well-meaning white liberal racism displayed by her concerned employer (a hand-wringing, wealthy white woman who likes to pretend she’s not wealthy and is proud about the fact she has a black friend) and the white guy she ends up dating (who has the whiff of a white saviour complex), which had me laughing and cringing in equal measure.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    londonrain, Andrew.L and dirtypony like this.
  8. Not me being tempted to buy Bring Up the Bodies when I couldn’t get through Wolf Hall. But damn those new editions are pretty.

In other news, I’ve recently got through Tenth of December, The Bell Jar, and On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous. All really, really great.

LTG likes this.
  9. LTG

LTG

The beginning of Wolf Hall was a struggle, trying to come to terms with all the “He, Thomas”, but once I got gripped it was thrilling. I prefer it to Bring Up the Bodies.

The new book is 900 pages hardback. It may take me a while to fit that in. Currently reading Amsterdam by Ian McEwan (192 pp) and I stan a short novel.

10. I started Wolf Hall and found it a bit slow and a slog, but I’ve been thinking I’ll give it another go.

I’ve heard amazing things about On Earth We’re Briiefly Gorgeous and it’s next on my list after The Witches are Coming by Lindy West.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  11. I thought it was excellent and poetic and poignant, and liked it most when it was telling a coherent story. I found it a little self-indulgent in the last few chapters, but overall a wonderful book.

Trinu 3.0 and dirtypony like this.
  12. I just couldn’t handle her stanning of semi-colons, and constant use of ‘he’ when two (or three) male characters were in the same scene. I made it 100 pages in and gave up.

I too love a slim novel. Currently reading Cat’s Cradle and Vonnegut is iconic. I fucking love books from the 60s.

13. Wolf Hall bored the hell out of me, and I rarely give up on a book.

14. Has anyone else ready Tokyo Ueno Station? I started it this morning on my commute, I'm 30 pages in and it's not grabbing me?

15. The amount of promo I'm seeing for Weather is insane.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it got into a few shortlists this year.

The fact that the UK cover is

and not

is homophobic tho.

16. Kinda prefer the UK cover to be honest!

17. Okay so update - I got to 50 pages and gave up. It just wasn't pulling me in!

18. Does anyone know good books about transgenderism? I’m trying to educate myself about history bit more in depth than surface knowledge I have at the moment. I’m eyeing Transgender History, but just wanted to make sure if certain books contained outdated info / views etc.

19. [​IMG]

I just finished reading this and thoroughly enjoyed it and would really recommend it.

I loved the premise of it, that you can bind a memory into a book in order to forget it. However, it takes a turn which I wasn’t expecting and won’t spoil, which made it even more fantastic.

I would say try not to read too many reviews though as I’ve gone to look at a few since finishing and a lot of them have spoilers in which I’m glad I didn’t know before starting the book.

Andrew.L and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.