PopJustice Book Club | Page 122 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I’ve added this to my ever growing thanks to this thread list.

Robert and bakerboy92 like this.
  2. I have this since publication day and still to read it kjhskdlkaljsdf I hate myself

BUT

I love that it's always award season in the book world!

Guest House for Young Widows by Azadeh Moaveni
    The Topeka School by Ben Lerner
    Vertigo & Ghost by Fiona Benson
    Victory by James Lasdun
    On Chapel Sands by Laura Cumming
    Constellations by Sinéad Gleeson
    Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli
    Grand Union by Zadie Smith

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/25/rathbones-folio-prize-zadie-smith-makes-female-dominated-shortlist

And the International Booker Prize announces their longlist tomorrow.
    Hoping there's some Spanish representation!

EDIT:

Aaaaaaaand the International Booker longlist is out!

Red Dog by Willem Anker, translated by Michiel Heyns from Afrikaans
    The Enlightenment of the Greengage Tree by Shokoofeh Azar, translated by Anonymous from Farsi
    The Adventures of China Iron by Gabriela Cabezón Cámara, translated by Iona Macintyre and Fiona Mackintosh from Spanish
    The Other Name: Septology I-II by Jon Fosse, translated by Damion Searls from Norwegian
    The Eighth Life by Nino Haratischvili, translated by Charlotte Collins and Ruth Martin from German
    Serotonin by Michel Houellebecq, translated by Shaun Whiteside from French
    Tyll by Daniel Kehlmann, translated by Ross Benjamin from German
    Hurricane Season by Fernanda Melchor, translated by Sophie Hughes from Spanish
    The Memory Police by Yōko Ogowa, translated by Stephen Snyder from Japanese
    Faces on the Tip of My Tongue by Emmanuelle Pagano, translated by Sophie Lewis and Jennifer Higgins from French
    Little Eyes by Samanta Schweblin, translated by Megan McDowell from Spanish
    The Discomfort of Evening by Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, translated by Michele Hutchison from Dutch
    Mac and His Problem by Enrique Vila-Matas, translated by Margaret Jull Costa and Sophie Hughes from Spanish

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/feb/27/small-presses-loom-large-on-international-booker-prize-longlist

I'm gonna try and read the original ones written in Spanish.
    The Memory Police has been in my TBR for a while, and The Eighth Life: For Brilka looks daunting with its almost 1000 pages.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    LoveSoSoft, Andrew.L and Robert like this.
  3. Finished Cleanness, Garth Greenwell's latest, and I have mixed feelings about it. What Belongs to You felt like a more complete work with more to say. This one had some moments of glory (and, like, wow, sis really goes there in a few scenes), but I'll be a little bothered if we never hear more from this character after how it ends. Wasn't very satisfying and all the self-loathing is a bit much.

I think I just wish Garth had let this world and character go after the first book and tried something new instead.

Trinu 3.0 and truman like this.
  4. [​IMG]

I bring another longlist. This time for the Women's Prize for Fiction:

Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara
    Fleishman Is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner
    Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams
    Dominicana by Angie Cruz
    Actress by Anne Enright
    Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo
    Nightingale Point by Luan Goldie
    A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes
    How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee
    The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo
    The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel
    Girl by Edna O’Brien
    Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell
    Weather by Jenny Offill
    The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
    Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/mar/03/womens-prize-for-fiction-lines-up-heavy-hitters-on-2020-longlist

I think this one has only made me get more interested in those I've been keeping an eye on for a while. The ones I don't know haven't really caught my attention.

Girl, Woman, Other won the Booker last year, so most probably won't be winning this. The Mirror and the Light is this year's The Testaments (hasn't even been published yet), so it could start winning awards already. And as I mentioned, Weather is starting to do the rounds (no doubt there, with such campaigning).

Anyway here's Hilary Mantel, stan Cromwell!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    LTG likes this.
  5. LTG

LTG

Also the Jhalak Prize

londonrain likes this.
  6. LTG

LTG

Only out on Thursday. Paws up Little Cromsters.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  7. I think this summer is going to be the Mantel one for me.

I read the first one in Spanish like... 10 years ago *gasp*
    And I don't think I ever got around the sequel, so it is time for a reread of the first (in English this time) and a dive into the rest.

Wonder who will come next year with a long awaited sequel to stir things up. George RR Martin? Patrick Rothfuss?

8. Ugh I hated this book, worst thing I've read for a while. I was really intrigued by the premise and loved the start of the book but hated the second half. My boyfriend recommended it to me saying its his fave book from 2019 but for me was such a let down

9. Sorry for the double post but I've just found this thread and now I'm excited as I love reading. You may have already covered this however an amazing book I've read this year was The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne. Its just a heart warming lovely funny book about a gay guy born in the 40s and what happens in his life. Thoroughly recommend

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 14.39.04.png

Also add me on Goodreads

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    BubblegumBoy and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  10. ok but WHY is Ocean Vuong’s opus on your Didn’t finish cause it was crap list??!!!!

[​IMG]

Bolton and bakerboy92 like this.
  11. I love that you saw that. I just didn’t like it. I got half way through and found the prose pretentious and the story boring. However I do recognise that he’s a great poet and that people rightfully love that book

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  12. Colour me surprised that The Mercies didn’t make it. Seems to be getting a real push and is a thoroughly feminist tale.

Or am I just biased because I know the woman who wrote it and I’m trying to cover up my envy of her success dddd.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  13. Well, I think the story comes second in this case (and I think it's still a good one with the premise of her mother not being able to read and so on) cause the poetry-like writing is basically his thing.

I remember thinking I wished it was longer when I finished reading, but now that I think back... maybe it's good it's such a small(ish) book.

Ohwell, you gave 5 to A Little Life, so it's all good!

ññññ I remember reading her wiki and being amazed/envious of all she's done at such young age.
    Tell me she's uptight so I can dislike her! dd

The Mercies is still in my TBR cause it sounds amazing tho.

14. Sorry to disappoint, but she’s really rather nice. Haven’t really been in touch since uni (apart from to congratulate her a couple of times) but I’m glad she’s doing well.

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  15. Oh for sure I'm a big Little Life fan. Also if you havent read The Great Believers I fully recommend. Great story of a group of gays in the 80s during the aids crisis. I read it on holiday in Sitges and everyday kept crying on the beach and had gays asking me if I was ok. Definitely worth it

RUNAWAY and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  16. Please don’t return to Shantaram it’s a complete piece of shit.

17. ok advice taken. I started reading it in 2010 when I lived with these pretentious art girls who loved it but I gave up half way through

Alphableat likes this.
  18. I need these

Also, just seeing the whole Twice Winner of the Man Booker Prize thing makes me wonder if they'll just throw a third in for the sake of completion and buzz.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  19. Reading this right now ...

[​IMG]

So damn good, but also made me reassess some of my previous opinions.

20. Had a moment with a cute librarian when I returned Ocean Vuong's novel the other day (SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY). "How did you like it?!" Had a nice chat about it, that never happened to me before. He told me it was being adapted for screen, and I had to contain myself to squeal something about all the sex.

I did love the book, but can also completely understand being a little exhausted by it, and I'm not sure I'd want to read it again.

Bolton likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.