PopJustice Book Club | Page 123 | The Popjustice Forum

PopJustice Book Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amstell_s Bitch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Can't wait for David Mitchell's "Utopia Avenue" and get sucked into his world again. It's been a while. I love all his novels.

I really liked Ocean Vuong's novel. His poetry collection "Night Sky With Exit Wounds" is also worth a read.

Alphableat and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  2. I bought The Lost Future of Pepperharrow today, a.k.a. the sequel of The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, a.k.a. one of my favourite books of recent times. It's very steampunk (while still being mostly historically correct), and it has some very subtle but cute LGBT+ representation. I hope the sequel will continue exploring that particular pairing.

3. Anyone else read Scythe by Neal Shusterman? I’m over half way through book 2 and I am obsessed with this dystopian world and how easily I could imagine a future like this

4. What do you girls think about Grange? I am reading his latest two and i have to say that eventhough i am somewhat tired of the usual formula, i can't stop reading and getting sucked into the worlds these books create.

5. I had forgotten Mitchell had a new one out this year.
    But after reading what it's about...

New Flame likes this.
  6. Anyone read Pachinko? Trying to decide on some books set in Japan for my holiday next month (if it goes ahead).

7. I liked Convenience Store Woman. And anything by Banana Yoshimoto. Don't know Pachinko, will check it out.

Alphableat and bakerboy92 like this.
  8. I second both of these recommendations. Convenience Store Woman is bonkers in the best way, and Yoshimoto just puts so much heart into everything she writes.

I'd start with Kitchen.

Alphableat and Dennis like this.
  9. Great! I already plan to take a Convenience Store Woman and Strange Weather in Tokyo (by Hiromi Kawakami) as a couple of short reads, and Pachinko was going to be my weighty tome to work through.

bakerboy92 and Dennis like this.
  10. Let me know how Strange Weather in Tokyo is. I tried reading The Nakano Thrift Shop in the fall and it was the only book I gave up on last year.

Would also recommend Territory of Light. It's heartbreaking at times but also offers an interesting glimpse into gender roles and expectations in Japanese society.

Dennis likes this.
  11. LTG

LTG

12. I’ve got it on my to read list (along with the first in the series) but haven’t got round to it yet. The premise seems cool but I don’t know anything about the author and their writing style. Are you still enjoying it?

SecretSatisfaction likes this.
  13. Someone do one of those stan videos of Hilary with Nicki Minaj playing ññ

14. Yeah very much

15. I started reading The Handmaid's Tale and it seems really really good.

16. it’s fantastic! Really well-written and I much preferred it to the sequel personally. I couldn’t put it down!

dontkillmyvibe likes this.
  17. Yes I read the first 50 pages last night and I've been thinking about it all day. Can't wait to start again before bed.

18. I don’t know if this is in all the editions, but in mine Atwood writes an introduction where she states that she doesn’t put anything in the book that hasn’t already happened in human history. So no form of abuse, torture, control etc is fabricated by her - they’re all from various accounts throughout human history. I found that so disturbing!!

dontkillmyvibe likes this.
  19. So the last time I posted here, I talked about leaving 1984 unfinished and starting to read Mrs. Dalloway. But after a couple of weeks of struggling with it, I decided to read something newer. So I bought Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng and while it was fine, it didn't really excite me in the way I used to feel about books. And I almost started to feel like maybe reading is not for me at this period of time/anymore.

But fortunately, I tried to give the His Dark Materials series a chance after finding the TV series interesting and guess what? I'm already on the third book and enjoying the fuck out of it. Maybe I should just stick to my children/teen books from now on ddd.

Andrew.L, Trinu 3.0 and dirtypony like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.